Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws Open Door* It's Fiesta Friday!!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 3:12am

Post #26 of 65 (1285 views)
Shortcut
But Fiesta is always in the morning... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh right! Wink Awesome photo, glad to hear you had a good time, but sorry you are going home to sad news. At least baby is waiting for Dad, so that's good. Hope you had a safe flight home, and recover from jet lag quickly.

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Kim
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 3:22am

Post #27 of 65 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Hey cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you get your travel plans sorted out and have a nice time off the grid and enjoying all that beautiful nature. Don't forget to take a camera so you can post some pics!

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 23 2014, 3:45am

Post #28 of 65 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Well this is just great [In reply to] Can't Post

Missed connection, stranded in Chicago OHare, no hotel rooms for the night.

SOSing any TORn friends nearby!?

WinkAngelic

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 23 2014, 3:46am)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 23 2014, 3:50am

Post #29 of 65 (1288 views)
Shortcut
I'm a mere 6 hours away! gramma's closer. She's 4.5 hours away. [In reply to] Can't Post

we do have a Chicago based forum member. She's not logged on since this morning and she might not be in town.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 4:12am

Post #30 of 65 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Oh damn!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Darnit its even too far for me to drive to rescue you!!!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Aug 23 2014, 4:12am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 4:41am

Post #31 of 65 (1275 views)
Shortcut
That's going to be a beautiful house, Sil. [In reply to] Can't Post

How far will it be from the lakeshore? A lot of lakes have restrictions on that in order to keep the lake clean and clear.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Aug 23 2014, 5:27am

Post #32 of 65 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Southeastern WI [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not too far away, about 70 miles. Let me know if I can help.

Wish I'd gotten online earlier.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 23 2014, 6:51am

Post #33 of 65 (1273 views)
Shortcut
Heh. It's all part of the fun, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I managed to find a chair, and then spend an additional $5 for all day wifi. Looks like I will be spending the rest of the night here. Unsure

Thank you for everyone's suggestions and offers, both here and via PM.

Slightly stunned by the lack of guidance and solicitude from American Airlines. I was handed over a voucher and was told to go and find a hotel room. When I ring the number, they tell me their are no rooms available. Since it's now nearly 2am, there isn't a staff member in sight to ask questions. They can expect a letter of complaint in their inbox next week.

I hope my luggage gets it's way back to London.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 7:05am

Post #34 of 65 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure
You should talk to Cats - stuck, he is.

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 8:39am

Post #35 of 65 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Total bummer, Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be one of those surreal nights you will unfortunately remember forever, amigo. I've been stuck at O'Hare at Christmas time but not all night. Welcome to the Midwest!

Website with services at O"Hare with some hotels info. The American lounges are closed at night unfortunately.
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/chicago_ohare.htm

Sleeping in airports tips:
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/tips.htm

Tip #15 is where to find cots and blankets, at Gate K1 at O'hare. Good luck with that.
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/airports-with-cots.htm

Oh, shoot! Here's something I hope will give you a laugh in anticipation of the new Doctor - which I hope you'll get to see eventually! Crazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

Take care!
Liss

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 23 2014, 3:29pm

Post #36 of 65 (1253 views)
Shortcut
I spent the night at O'Hare once [In reply to] Can't Post

It was with United and, while there were hotels, they were so far away I would only have gotten an hour or two of sleep before I had to get up to get back to the airport in time for my early morning flight. I slept near the gate for my flight, and the United flight attendants came around and gave us pillows and blankets (there were 1/2 dozen other people in the same boat). I still have that pillow! I figure I earned it. Laugh

I hope you managed to get some sleep! Hopefully you got more sleep on the nice, long flight back to London. I hope your friend and better half are doing better once you get there.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 3:43pm

Post #37 of 65 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine this is messing with your brain! But of course, Fiesta always arrives when it's meant to.Wink

I am so sorry about your friend. I hope there is treatment, and that it will go well for him/her.

Glad labor did not have to be induced! I never had to do that with my kids, luckily, and I hope she can avoid it as well. You'll be in our thoughts as the day approaches!!!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 3:47pm

Post #38 of 65 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Just wondering--did you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

pooL water--I hope (or is that a brand of bottled water . . . Shocked)Wink

Your nieces/nephews will be in my prayers. Starting today. For real. I'm so sorry; but so glad they have you and your wife to bring something happy and normal to them once in awhile.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 23 2014, 5:13pm

Post #39 of 65 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Poop water [In reply to] Can't Post

We're in the middle of a long drought, so we initiated a water-reuse program. Pipe the water from the wastewater treatment plant directly to the water treatment plant, then back to the public. Rinse, repeat.Tongue

Tested the process for months. Been going on for real for about a month. No sickness or death. Yet.Wink

Behold the future!!Laugh

Aragorn and Legolas went now with Éomer in the van.
-Helm’s Deep, Chapter 7, Book III, The Two Towers

"Rorth Rorlingas!!"

Sauron: "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling hobbits!"

(Thanks to Brethil for image and battlecry.)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2014, 5:16pm

Post #40 of 65 (1233 views)
Shortcut
I thought this was going to be the set up for a joke... [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent a night in O'Hare one week.. Cool

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 5:21pm

Post #41 of 65 (1238 views)
Shortcut
I don't have 'lakefront' there Men. [In reply to] Can't Post

Only a handful do out of 3-400 lots there. The lots there are only 1+ acres on just one side and not that private, and as you understand, a far piece up on the hill. I am actually the farthest from the lake being out at the end of the farthest cul-de-sac .

But that is ok. The views we want are there and we plan to get a couple of scooters to buzz down the 3miles to the lake. Or run down and take a swim. Maybe a golf cart, being a trend lately. We will see. What i am looking forward to also is the lack of boat noise/traffic. I can swim all over and only worry about a collision with a canoeLaugh. I can float out in the middle in utter peace.

If you travel our way please come stay over. You we be welcome.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 5:28pm

Post #42 of 65 (1232 views)
Shortcut
No power boats on the lake? [In reply to] Can't Post

Truly, you have sailed the straight way to the Undying Lands. Color me jealous.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 5:53pm

Post #43 of 65 (1231 views)
Shortcut
We tried to capture the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

that each time of day brings and the light on the mountains from the wee morning to last light inside and outside the house. And the higher up, the farther the view.

One can put a pot on for such as soup or a stew but it cannot act like a griddle. That stove is actually not lined with 'fire brick', but with soapstone which really stores heat. That is why that maker makes many models with it on the outside. It also has a 2.9 cubic ft firebox which was another thing i felt was needed. Looong burns:).

Yous guys are going to have to take a road trip one day to visit those relatives down there, AND us:)

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 6:06pm

Post #44 of 65 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always wanted to retire to Maine myself. Even had a nice place on Silver Lake (once called poverty pond...?) north of Square Pond in Acton but that was not to be. Maine lakes are to die for for its dead clear 'black' water and sandy everywhere spots.

And then there are the loons and daddy/grandfather bullfrogs that drone on into the night that i remembered, giving me such a deep sense of peace as a kid drifting off to sleep. Men, you are going just fine:)

— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 6:13pm

Post #45 of 65 (1226 views)
Shortcut
That is living Elberbeth. [In reply to] Can't Post

No doubt about it:)

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 7:06pm

Post #46 of 65 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Aaaaaaaah! Glad it's working so far, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

Water problems out west are very scary. I'm from Nebraska, so even though I no longer live there, I still worry about the Ogallala aquifer and pipelines and all.Frown

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 10:14pm

Post #47 of 65 (1223 views)
Shortcut
On another note: [In reply to] Can't Post

This time; a prayer for the children of Iraq, Syria and much of Africa. May they find peace some day, away from hate.

Prayers of the Children

Can you hear the prayer of the children?
On bended knee, in the shadow of an unknown room
Empty eyes with no more tears to cry
Turning heavenward toward the light

Crying Jesus, help me
To see the morning light-of one more day
But if I should die before I wake,
I pray my soul to take

Can you feel the hearts of the children?
Aching for home, for something of their very own
Reaching hands, with nothing to hold on to,
But hope for a better day a better day

Crying Jesus, help me
To feel the love again in my own land
But if unknown roads lead away from home,
Give me loving arms, away from harm

Can you hear the voice of the children?
Softly pleading for silence in a shattered world?
Angry guns preach a gospel full of hate,
Blood of the innocent on their hands

Crying Jesus, help me
To feel the sun again upon my face,
For when darkness clears I know you're near,
Bringing peace again

Dali cujete sve djecje molitive?
(Croatian translation:
'Can you hear all the children's prayers?')
Can you hear the prayer of the children?.

— J.R.R. Tolkien

Annael
Immortal

Aug 23 2014, 11:07pm

Post #48 of 65 (1211 views)
Shortcut
airports should offer those "pods" they have in Japan [In reply to] Can't Post

where you can crawl in, lock the door, and sleep.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 11:49pm

Post #49 of 65 (1211 views)
Shortcut
That breaks my heart [In reply to] Can't Post

(May it be answered.)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 24 2014, 12:05am

Post #50 of 65 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Hope Eruwestial might [In reply to] Can't Post

not be too far away to help. Hope something works out!

I think a safe place to camp out might be under (or on top of?) that Brachiosaurus statue . . . CrazyWink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.