The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dain's late Arrival to the battlefield *possible spoilers*

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 23 2014, 2:09pm

Post #1 of 8 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Dain's late Arrival to the battlefield *possible spoilers* Can't Post

I have a feeling this was discussed in some way or other on these forums - sometime ago.

Basically, the shot in the teaser - of the Dwarves charging down (presumably into battle) - raised a thought about the unfolding events leading to the Battle of Five Armies.

Does this shot demonstrate that the Dwarves will arrive AFTER the other four armies have engaged in combat?

Will it be a moment reflecting the arrival and ride of the Rohirrim in The Return of the King?

One of the absorbing aspects of reading The Hobbit, is the politics and the arising tensions between the Elves, Men and the Dwarves.

Dain's arrival prompts a deadly feud, which soon subsides by Gandalf's intervention and the threat of the Orcs and Wargs.

It is that moment of setting aside differences between the Free Peoples - against a common enemy - that highlights the beauty of that part in the story.

Seeing the trailer, this event in the book seems to be heading towards a significant change.

Unless the Dwarves still arrive before the Orcs and Wargs and attack the encamped Elves: hence Billy Connolly's quote on Dain killing Elves?

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 23 2014, 2:24pm

Post #2 of 8 (717 views)
Shortcut
Sure this won't happen [In reply to] Can't Post

In the latest issue of Empire PJ said that negotiations between Thorin and Bard and Thranduil are abruptly concluded by the arrival of Dain and his army. I think the shot is somewhat misleadingly threatening, similar to the Rohirrim circling the three hunters in TTT. They'll probably put on a fearsome show and rally to Thorin's cause, with a tense stand-off.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2014, 2:30pm

Post #3 of 8 (670 views)
Shortcut
I think, without context, it doesn't really suggest much. [In reply to] Can't Post

They could be headed towards Dale, towards Erebor before Gandalf appears, towards the battle, they may be arriving or this may just be a manoeuvre as part of the battle etc.

I don't think there are any clues to point one or the other from that shot alone.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 2:51pm

Post #4 of 8 (674 views)
Shortcut
I can't wait for this moment! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the latest issue of Empire PJ said that negotiations between Thorin and Bard and Thranduil are abruptly concluded by the arrival of Dain and his army.

The way PJ chose to describe that gives me geek spasm thrills just imagining it Laugh. Will Dain and the army appear on a high ridge, like Gandalf and Eomer in TTT? How will the three of them react? Their expressions, the dialogue? Will someone break off in mid-sentence? Or will an unexpected answer from one of them, and a pointed look, make them all turn and look? Imagine, imagine, imagine SmileHeartSmile.

I'm glad it's almost September because we're that much closer to December Sly.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 23 2014, 8:19pm

Post #5 of 8 (554 views)
Shortcut
No. That should not happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

If anything, we have had hints that Dain's Dwarves might actually start to battle with the armies of the Elves and Men before the arrival of the Orcs. It is the timely (early, in fact) arrival of the Iron Hills Dwarves that prevents Thorin from exchanging Bilbo's share of the treasure for the Arkenstone. I don't see Jackson having the temerity to alter this particular event.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bladerunner
Gondor

Aug 24 2014, 4:08pm

Post #6 of 8 (480 views)
Shortcut
Those may be dwarves from another clan... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and not Iron Hill Dwarves...
...which has been discussed in more detail in previous threads.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 24 2014, 9:37pm

Post #7 of 8 (445 views)
Shortcut
Shouldn't be. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Those may be dwarves from another clan... ..and not Iron Hill Dwarves...
...which has been discussed in more detail in previous threads.

Unlikely. There should not be any other Dwarvish clans close enough to take part in the Battle of Five Armies. There should be no sizable number of Dwarves dwelling in the Grey Mountains, Misty Mountains, or in the ranges surrounding Mordor. That leaves the Ered Luin Dwarves as the next nearest to Erebor, since there also does not seem to be any Dwarf-clans remaining in the White Mountains north of Gondor.

That begs the question, just where are the other clans of Dwarves located?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rickster
Rohan

Aug 26 2014, 7:20am

Post #8 of 8 (410 views)
Shortcut
the greatjness of it all [In reply to] Can't Post

it will not be as you all think
it will not be as I think
it will be GREAT and unexpected

Larger than large
It will be something people will speak about for years to come

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.