The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Screencap of the Day: There's room for a little more

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 1:48pm

Post #1 of 8 (2736 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: There's room for a little more Can't Post

...endings, that is Wink! I couldn't let our many-ending'ed trilogy end without at least a few SCODs too!

Here are the character sketches:

For a closer look, here's a link to the individual images.

I'm not always a fan of character portraits, because sometimes I find a portrait can be technically accurate at representing a face, but it appears somehow unattractive or harsh. These however, I love because not only are they accurate but they also show each character in a flattering way (even the Witch King and the King of the Dead, lol) that somehow also captures their personality. Also there's a background image, either a location or an object that relates to each character. Beautiful :).

I consider the character sketches to be another ending in themselves. They always help me pull myself back together after the emotional meltdown of the ending of the story. How do you feel about them? Are there any that are your particular favorites?

Here are the lyrics to "Into the West", sung as the sketches are shown onscreen
(thanks to Magpie for her LOTR Soundtrack site :))
Lay down your sweet and weary head
Night is falling. You have come to journey's end.
Sleep now. Dream of the ones who came before.
They are calling from across a distant shore.
Why do you weep? What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see all of your fears will pass away.
Safe in my arms, you're only sleeping.

What can you see on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea, a pale moon rises.
The ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass.
A light on the water, all souls pass.

Hope fades into the world of night
Through shadows falling out of memory and time.
Don't say we have come now to the end.
White shores are calling. You and I will meet again.
And you'll be here in my arms, just sleeping.

What can you see on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea, a pale moon rises.
The ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass
A light on the water, grey ships pass
Into the West.

Thoughts on "Into the West"? After the many endings of the story, do the portraits and the music make it better or make you happily cry even harder Evil?

I have to say that I find the ending of the trilogy so moving that I had a bit of trouble with yesterday's SCOD. Originally I had put together a more emotional, personal one, but it turned into such a three-hankie sobfest on my part, I just had to get a grip and post a more subdued one Blush Smile. So I definitely wanted to come back with another one today!

And there may yet be room for one more.... Laugh.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Aug 21 2014, 1:49pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2014, 7:15am

Post #2 of 8 (2487 views)
Shortcut
Ah, nice [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you included this. It's such a wonderfully, unabashedly emotional cap to all that the viewer has experienced. It gives you one last good cry before you finally have to leave Middle Earth.

Actually, after the first two or three viewings I was able to make it through the many endings without breaking down...until Into the West and the portraits. The first few notes were enough to get me going. I think it's more the song than the portraits, but I can now hear the song alone and manage not to cry...just. But hearing it along with the visuals still gets me. I don't start immediately anymore; now I can make it through the first minute, but I can't hold out once Ms. Lennox's voice rises as she sings, "What can you see on the horizon? " I become a blubbering mess.

Thanks, Loresilme Smile

Barbarb
The Shire

Aug 23 2014, 7:47am

Post #3 of 8 (2484 views)
Shortcut
End credits [In reply to] Can't Post

I always look forward to seeing the character sketches, even though it means the story is over. I think they are just gorgeous. I particularly like Arwen's and Pippin's. So true to life.

Into the west is a beautiful song. Annie Lennox is one of the best singers there is in my opinion. I vaguely remember from a documentary that Into the west is from the point of view of Galadriel? Apologies if this is incorrect Smile

Faleel
Rohan

Aug 23 2014, 2:59pm

Post #4 of 8 (2468 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Incorrect

Howard Shore chose Lennox because of her resemblance to Galadariel (and because of her singing voice of course!)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 9:48pm

Post #5 of 8 (2454 views)
Shortcut
Barbarb is correct, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

From Magpie's LOTR soundtrack site:

"This 'voice' of this song is Galadriel's and Annie Lennox was chosen because it was felt her voice had a maturity that reflected Galadriel's long years in Middle-earth."

Not that there are any exams going on here :).

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 23 2014, 9:50pm

Post #6 of 8 (2458 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the voice is meant to be Galadriel's :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And it is such a beautiful song!

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2014, 4:56pm

Post #7 of 8 (2473 views)
Shortcut
two missing [In reply to] Can't Post

Where are Saruman and Grima?Shocked

Nira
Lorien

Aug 31 2014, 3:43pm

Post #8 of 8 (2441 views)
Shortcut
best end credits ever, just lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

They make me cry every time. Pippin, Merry, and Frodo are my favorite sketches. I hope the Hobbit end credits are just as lovely and unique.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.