Peter Jackson in SFX
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bexlin
Rivendell

Aug 21 2014, 7:36am

Post #1 of 39 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson in SFX Can't Post

Not sure if this has been posted, but there is a small piece about BOTFA in SFX October edition:
The third Hobbit movie is Peter Jackson's favourite.
Peter Jackson's on the final straight of his six-movie jaunt in Middle Earth, and he's rather keen on the recently retitled third Hobbit movie, The Battle of the five armies. "By the time we are done with this film, which is going to be the most emotional and tense off the three, I think it's my favourite," he said. "It's got a nice thriller pace to it. When you get to the the end of it, I think it's going to feel like the right time to hand it over to The fellowship of the ring. One day, long after all of this is over, all that's ever going to exist in the world is these movies as a six film series. That's how future generations are going to think of them"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 7:41am

Post #2 of 39 (1618 views)
Shortcut
'Thriller'? [In reply to] Can't Post

He is bound to say that it is his favourite film. I don't care about any links with FotR – in my view what has been done to link The Hobbit to FotR is unnecessary and does not work. This doesn't fill me with optimism about the next film.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 9:33am

Post #3 of 39 (1541 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't speak about links or tie-ins here, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just what they always said... that Middle-earth by the end of part 3 will feel closer or "on the way to" the Middle-earth of FotR.

And to thriller... in the longer version of this he also talked about a character-driven thriller that builds up the tension for the battle - one decision leading to the next etc. when it comes to the battle and also how he will follow their stories during the battle.

To the OP: Thanks... weird though that they are reusing exactly the same what he has already said in other magazines (not sure whether it is Empire or the other one in which he also talked about "Dam Busters" and "As Nature made him.").

EDIT: It was the Collidier interview: Click.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 21 2014, 9:39am)

greenbalrog
Bree

Aug 21 2014, 9:36am

Post #4 of 39 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Approved [In reply to] Can't Post

As a big fan of LotR I completely approve PJ's comment :)

And I think the "thriller" aspect is a clever one since after all this is an adaptation from a book with a clear and well defined ending. The thriller aspect helps spice things up.

The link to the Fellowship of the Ring is a natural thing to do since after all no more than 50 years pass between the events of the Hobbit and LotR, right? So, it makes sense to turn all this into a fluid six film experience.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 21 2014, 11:17am

Post #5 of 39 (1562 views)
Shortcut
Direct Quote from Collider.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"By the time we are done with this film, which is going to be the most emotional and tense of the three, I think it’s my favorite of the three, to be honest. I’m not just saying that. It’s got a nice thriller pace to it. When you get to the end of it, I think it’s going to feel like the right time to hand it over to The Fellowship of the Ring. It will feel like it’s gone on that journey. I’ve always been aware of it being a six-film set. One day, long after all of this is all over, all that’s ever going to exist in the world is these movies, as a six-film series. That’s how future generations are going to think of them.

Keyword "PACE"

Recently he has said "Braindead" was a little slow, and the Re-Release of THAT... will have a "Thriller PACE"

Someone here on TORn..has a footer?

"What ever you say gets twisted round another way..AND they will hate YOU
if they think you LIED?"
( A DIRECT Quote from the History of Literature..?)

Well, that is soo true...Do you
believe Everything written or
Shown in Media.?

Everything shown or written about is
EDITED by someone.
So, everything is
TWISTED around, and they want you to believe their version of these EVENTS?
(Even if they Lied..?)

From a Shooting in Missouri? to a MultiMillion Movie.

Bomby has edited This post for READING.. TOO?

(Re-writing each sentence about 10 times..?)
And someone will come along & Twist THIS post around too..?

WE see & read this most everyday
Here on
TORnTV?

Some people here work & get paid to be "Editors", They know what BOMBY speaks of..?
SOoo please don't add YOUR "Emotional Edited TWIST"
in... to this post.

Bomby tends to & Intends to
be pleased this Winter by
PJ.

......................"Damn the Critics 'Torpedos"...FULL Speed (PACE) Ahead.."

(PJ..you BOW to No one..) Whispered?.. into His ear..

By..YOUR humbled servant...
bomby

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 21 2014, 12:39pm

Post #6 of 39 (1428 views)
Shortcut
What's wrong with a thriller?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Our destiny lies above us.

Bofur01
Lorien

Aug 21 2014, 12:47pm

Post #7 of 39 (1468 views)
Shortcut
Especially considering the EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Which will probably slow the pacing back down a lot.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 12:47pm

Post #8 of 39 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm feeling as good as I ever have with how good I think this will be. I love that in the end this will feel like a nice handoff right into FOTR. It's going to give me the movie version of how I read the books every year. Cool

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 21 2014, 12:55pm

Post #9 of 39 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

I always enjoy your posts, Bomby.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 21 2014, 3:39pm

Post #10 of 39 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Uh-oh, PJ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ve always been aware of it being a six-film set.

....what do you mean by always? Smile

I do agree with the approach to the movie PJ describes. We go from the brighter world of the Hobbit to the darker one of the Lord of the Rings.

I do wish certain details concerning 'precious' had been left unspoiled, though.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Aug 21 2014, 3:41pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 21 2014, 4:35pm

Post #11 of 39 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Another KEY Quote..? [In reply to] Can't Post

"...It will feel like it’s gone on that journey..."

PJ is stating that this Movie has
Always had a mind of itz
OWN..

PJ... is jus' now
letting us know that

He jus' may be "The Field General"
in his Battle to Finish his 6th Film

but BOT5A really is
the 6th Battle.. PJ
will have finished
... trying REALLY Hard to
Bring MiddleEarth to
The Millions
of us!

YEA, PJ & his 5,ooo or so... people in NZ

Letzz jus' HOPE he
Survives
to show it to us..?

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Aug 21 2014, 4:49pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 5:06pm

Post #12 of 39 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Nothing, in some contexts [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that I've never heard the word 'thriller' used in the context of Tolkien.

In Reply To
What's wrong with a thriller?// by tsmith675

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 21 2014, 5:15pm

Post #13 of 39 (1273 views)
Shortcut
Reading Tolkien... izz ..Thrilling...// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz

Cillendor
Lorien

Aug 21 2014, 9:46pm

Post #14 of 39 (1226 views)
Shortcut
The way Tolkien tells the story isn't that thrilling. [In reply to] Can't Post

But the actual events that will take place are very thrilling. There will be so much tension building up between the three armies of the Free Peoples, and then you'll have the Orcs (and hopefully Misty Mountain Goblins, for closure) racing to the battlefield. It'll take place in the decaying, icy ruins of a once-great city.

I don't see it being a thriller in the sense of a mystery/suspense/thriller movie or slasher/horror movie, but I can definitely see how the term "thriller" could apply.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2014, 10:19pm

Post #15 of 39 (1190 views)
Shortcut
It's a good job that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

the word is being used for Jackson's adaptation and not Tolkien's world.

AngelicWink

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 10:43pm

Post #16 of 39 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Well, no [In reply to] Can't Post

I would disagree that the way Tolkien writes is not thrilling – for me, it is absolutely thrilling. However, Tolkien did not actually write 'thrillers', which typically involve crime or espionage.

In the inexplicable apparent fixation on attempting to bring the Hobbit films from DOS onwards in line with LotR via extraneous made-up, non-Tolkien material (is this what is meant by a 'thriller'?), despite the obviously very different filming styles of the older and new films, Tolkien's story about the Hobbit, Gandalf and the Dwarves is being submerged.

In Reply To
The way Tolkien tells the story isn't that thrilling. But the actual events that will take place are very thrilling

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 21 2014, 10:49pm

Post #17 of 39 (1174 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The events are more thriling then the style he often uses to write about them.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Aug 21 2014, 10:50pm

Post #18 of 39 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Agree in that [In reply to] Can't Post

All pretense has been pretty much tossed away. PJ and Co are making their own movies using Tolkien's world, not necessarily the Hobbit.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2014, 11:15pm

Post #19 of 39 (1168 views)
Shortcut
The definition of a thriller [In reply to] Can't Post

In the OED at least, is simply a "sensational play, film or story".

Given that, I presume, we think it unlikely that the BOFA will involve crime or espionage, wouldn't it be more sensible just to assume the broader meaning above?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 11:27pm

Post #20 of 39 (1161 views)
Shortcut
To be pedantic [In reply to] Can't Post

In my copy of the OED, the definition of a thriller is 'a novel, play or film with an exciting plot, typically involving crime or espionage'. That's what I have always understood the word to mean. I don't know why I should 'assume' that the meaning should be any other than that, and that's why I find it distinctly odd that it is being applied to a film derived from Tolkien's work. Seems as though the film-makers may be wandering off on a path very much of their own…

And good night all…

In Reply To
In the OED at least, is simply a "sensational play, film or story".

Given that, I presume, we think it unlikely that the BOFA will involve crime or espionage, wouldn't it be more sensible just to assume the broader meaning above?

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 11:45pm

Post #21 of 39 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Thrillers are often... [In reply to] Can't Post

... character-driven psychological stories with a lot of tension.

And that makes sense for the last third of the Hobbit, imho, when one thinks of the situation/relationships between Bilbo/Thorin, Thorin/Bard/Thranduil and - potentially added in the movie - Thorin/other Dwarves, Tauriel/Legolas/Thranduil and later Gandalf/all of the others.

Not to mention other aspects such as Bilbo's conflict of loyality.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 21 2014, 11:46pm)

Lio
Lorien

Aug 22 2014, 2:05am

Post #22 of 39 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Favourite? [In reply to] Can't Post

This has got me wondering, since I remember reading around the time DoS came out that that was PJ's favourite. Has he changed his mind? And is this good? Bad? Wink

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Aug 22 2014, 3:00am

Post #23 of 39 (1123 views)
Shortcut
To be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

This film didn't really exist at the time he said that, so he wouldn't have been able to compare the two. Wink

Mostly though I think he's just like most filmmakers and creative people/artists in general, he's most in love with whatever his latest/current project is. I think this is a good thing, as you'd hope they'd be passionate about it.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 22 2014, 3:39am

Post #24 of 39 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Yes - Uh-huh - I see [In reply to] Can't Post

Just had a ten-second mental viewing of a prospective TBOTFA and it was outstanding.

With PJ's comment in mind, the figment of a film was an exhilarating and gripping watch
from beginning to end.

The 'thriller pace' leads one to an almost gratifyingly breathless state that is then heightened
by the expeditiously delivered and extremely well-executed tear-jerking sequences.

It works well.Wink

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Aug 22 2014, 3:40am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 22 2014, 4:30am

Post #25 of 39 (1140 views)
Shortcut
It was Ian McKellen who stated: [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson said to me the other day that this film, number two, was going to be the best of all the six films.

I don't think that necessarily equates to The Desolation of Smaug being PJ's favourite film. I don't think PJ has ever said himself which of the movies is his favourite. Though he did say the following when commenting on the film in the DOS special EMPIRE edition:

'This will probably get me struck off The One Ring party list but I am enjoying deviating from the book'

Just because McKellen said that PJ said it, doesn't give the statement much substance and weight. McKellen isn't going to say PJ doesn't like the film, after all. (Not that he's an unreliable source. The best source is always the original source).

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 22 2014, 4:36am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.