Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Should you read a book before or after seeing the movie?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 17 (3195 views)
Shortcut
Should you read a book before or after seeing the movie? Can't Post

I'm currently reading "Outlander," while watching the TV series. It is my opinion that you're better off seeing the movie first and THEN reading the book. I think that's because movies have to leave so much out, even if they follow the book closely, and you end up feeling disappointed. But what does anyone else think?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2014, 2:52pm

Post #2 of 17 (3078 views)
Shortcut
Did you want to post a poll with this? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can move this to Off Topic if not, but usually this page is for people to post actual polls.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 21 2014, 2:54pm

Post #3 of 17 (3079 views)
Shortcut
Personally I am of the opinion it doesn't usually matter [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched Lotr and the Harry Potter books before I read them and that didnt hamper my enjoy at all. Often I have noticed that seeing a movie only motivates me to read the book because if the movie is good chances are the book is awesome! However with a book series like Game of Thrones I think it is very important to read the books or at least summaries so that you understand all of the plot points. So I guess I should say it depends.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 4:20pm

Post #4 of 17 (3076 views)
Shortcut
I know I've done a poll before [In reply to] Can't Post

But couldn't seem to attach one to this - my daughter says I'm the most technically-challenged person she's ever met. Don't suppose it matters though.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2014, 5:34pm

Post #5 of 17 (3079 views)
Shortcut
you have two choices on this board [In reply to] Can't Post

One is "New Poll" and the other is "Post New".

You need to choose "New Poll"

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 21 2014, 5:35pm)

joec_34
Rivendell

Aug 21 2014, 6:09pm

Post #6 of 17 (3072 views)
Shortcut
I prefer to read a book before seeing a movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I read a book first, my imagination is more active. Then, when I see it on film, I enjoy letting the images inform/modify my imagination. Book first for me.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2014, 7:18pm

Post #7 of 17 (3062 views)
Shortcut
An admin can edit your post to attach a poll. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let us know what poll options you want ('Before', 'After' and 'Doesn't matter', perhaps?) and one of us will create it for you.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 7:52pm

Post #8 of 17 (3059 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Let us know what poll options you want ('Before', 'After' and 'Doesn't matter', perhaps?) and one of us will create it for you.

I suppose Before/After/It Doesn't Matter are the only real options here, thanks.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 21 2014, 7:53pm

Post #9 of 17 (3062 views)
Shortcut
I like reading the book first. [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I try to figure out how they'll film the book: What scenes, characters, and storylines they'll cut or change for the transfer to a cinematic media. I love films so it's a fun excercise for me. I was really surprized how much the LOTR films kept of the book.

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
an age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
an age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
no man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2014, 8:44pm

Post #10 of 17 (3059 views)
Shortcut
Bother, I spoke too soon. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just realised that admins can edit a poll but we can't create one (at least, not easily) within an existing post.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 21 2014, 8:47pm)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2014, 12:06am

Post #11 of 17 (3058 views)
Shortcut
Well it depends... how old is the book the movie is based on [In reply to] Can't Post

I may have already read it. (LOTR -- Narnia-- I,Robot, etc etc)

generally it doesn't matter to me ... whichever version I find first is what I see/read..

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 23 2014, 3:53pm

Post #12 of 17 (3069 views)
Shortcut
I think you're less likely to be disappointed if you see the movie first . . . but there's a caveat [In reply to] Can't Post

The book is usually better, so if you read it first the movie can disappoint. Other way around, you're likely to get a lot more detail about the world, more characters, etc. I can only think of a couple examples where the movie was an improvement (The Horse Whisperer for one; the book's ending made no sense at all, and Redford rightly changed it).

However, I fear that seeing the movie first might lock in the director's vision of what certain characters & places look like, instead of letting your own imagination build them in your mind. I read LOTR first and I still hold to my own images of the characters & places. Gandalf, Bilbo, Galadriel, Pippin were all pretty true to my idea of them, as was the Shire and RIvendell, but I like my own vision of the others and of Lothlorien and Minas Tirith better. (Minas Tirith came close but was too - squished - Tolkien says there were side streets off the main road.)

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2014, 3:18am

Post #13 of 17 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Book first [In reply to] Can't Post

I always prefer to read the book first. Often the book is better, so I consider the experience of reading the book, the more important one to which I prefer to come without prior knowledge/experience of the story.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 2 2014, 8:58am

Post #14 of 17 (2993 views)
Shortcut
Whatever comes my way first. [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly wouldn't decide to not watch a movie just to read the book first. I usually seem to do just the with my imagination even f I have already seen a visual version of described characters, locations and events.

I dislike the notion of some people finding some sort of superiority in "always read the book first". Everyone can have their own take on this question. However, it doesn't make one a more intellectual and literate person, no matter what one choses to do.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2014, 11:44am

Post #15 of 17 (2990 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

As a "read the book firster", it's not that I don't watch movies based on books I have not read. If a movie comes out that interests me, and I have reason to believe the book is any good at all, I will quickly read it before seeing the film. It's how I got hooked on Harry Potter - the third film was well-reviewed, so I went and read the book first, then saw the movie.

Unlike you, I find the "look" of a movie does affect how I "see" things in a book.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 2 2014, 11:54am

Post #16 of 17 (2981 views)
Shortcut
Very well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly do not claim universality for my view (which was full with auto correct issues, sorry) nor did I mean all "book firsters" with my criticism :)

Especially the last part only applies to a few people that can be very vocal though. It often borderlines to pretty patronizing and snobbish views when people start with the "I wished people could have experienced great book x before poor movie y came out" etc. Often creating unnecessary rifts among people liking a particular book/movie combo.

Especially in the case of Tolkien I was often shocked to read how younger people were patronized or simply not taken seriously - especially when they happened to like the movies.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 2 2014, 12:00pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 2 2014, 3:16pm

Post #17 of 17 (2995 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I got hooked on Harry the same way. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a casual movie watcher or years and tried to read the books a few tie,s and found the, boring. Then I started to finally watch them carefully and realized what a great book series they could be! Needless to say I'm a huge potter head and I'm glad I gave them a chance. I think books come at the right time in life and Potter came at exactly the best time for me.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.