The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug QUIZ - Round 1

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 20 2014, 3:47pm

Post #1 of 22 (1730 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug QUIZ - Round 1 Can't Post

Anyone up for another set of quizzes? Here’s your first chance to test your knowledge of the second installment of The Hobbit trilogy, The Desolation of Smaug.
The quiz consists of 15 questions like the previous ones. Correct answers and scores will be post in a few days.
Have fun! Smile

QUESTIONS

1. What is the first thing Gandalf says?
a) “Good evening!”
b) “I’ll have the same.”
c) “Mind if I join you?”
d) “Well now! This is a fine chance!”

2. Where did Gandalf say he had “ran into some unsavory characters”?
a) on the Causeway
b) on the East Road
c) on the Greenway
d) on the Old Road

3. Beorn chases the Company to his house. Who is the second person to reach the door?
a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Fili
d) Kili

4. Fill in the blank: “It’s not natural, none of it. It’s obvious: he’s under some ……… spell.”
a) dark
b) evil
c) foul
d) wicked

5. How many lines does the Necromancer have during his conversation with Azog?
a) two
b) three
c) four
d) five

6. Who is Bilbo seated next to at Beorn’s table?
a) Bifur
b) Bofur
c) Gloin
d) Oin

7. How long does Gandalf say the way around Mirkwood is to the north?
a) 100 miles
b) 200 miles
c) 300 miles
d) 400 miles

8. What does Gandalf say to Thorin before leaving the Company?
a) “I’ll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.”
b) “I’ll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the key and map safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.”
c) “I’ll be waiting for you before the slopes of Erebor, at the overlook. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.”
d) “I’ll be waiting for you before the slopes of Erebor, at the overlook. Keep the key and map safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.”

9. Who picks up Bofur’s tobacco pouch?
a) Bofur himself
b) Dori
c) Nori
d) Ori

10. What color are the butterflies that Bilbo sees when he climbs to the top of the trees?
a) black
b) blue
c) brown
d) purple

11. Fill in the blanks: Bilbo pulls the Ring from his ……… pocket and puts it on the middle finger of his ……… hand in the scene with the spiders.
a) left, left
b) left, right
c) right, left
d) right, right

12. Bombur is knocked to the ground during the skirmish with the spiders. A spider stands over the dwarf to bite him. The others come to Bombur rescue and pull its legs off, killing it. Who grabs the first leg to the right?
a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Nori
d) Thorin

13. How many spiders does Tauriel kill while saving Kili?
a) three
b) four
c) five
d) six

14. What does the phrase “Holo in ennyn!” mean?
a) “Close the gate!”
b) “Let’s go!”
c) “Search them!”
d) “Take them!”

15. Thorin is brought before Thranduil, who begins questioning him. Which of the following sentences is not true?
a) It is the only time we see Thranduil wear his crown in The Desolation of Smaug.
b) There are four guards present at the questioning.
c) The burns and scars are on the left side of Thranduil’s face.
d) Thorin’s last line to Thranduil is in Dwarvish.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey QUIZ - Round 1, Round 2 and Round 3

“As he caught his footing, his head fell back, and the Milky Way flowed down inside him with a roar.” - Yasunari Kawabata, Snow Country

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 20 2014, 4:12pm

Post #2 of 22 (1467 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

a) “Good evening!”
b) “I’ll have the same.”
c) “Mind if I join you?”

a) on the Causeway
b) on the East Road
c) on the Greenway
d) on the Old Road

3. Beorn chases the Company to his house. Who is the second person to reach the door?
a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Fili
d) Kili

4. Fill in the blank: “It’s not natural, none of it. It’s obvious: he’s under some ……… spell.”
a) dark
b) evil
c) foul
d) wicked

a) two
b) three
c) four
d) five

a) Bifur
b) Bofur
c) Gloin
d) Oin

a) 100 miles
b) 200 miles
c) 300 miles
d) 400 miles

a) “I’ll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.”
b) “I’ll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the key and map safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.”
c) “I’ll be waiting for you before the slopes of Erebor, at the overlook. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.”
d) “I’ll be waiting for you before the slopes of Erebor, at the overlook. Keep the key and map safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.”

a) Bofur himself
b) Dori
c) Nori
d) Ori

10. What color are the butterflies that Bilbo sees when he climbs to the top of the trees?
a) black
b) blue
c) brown
d) purple

11. Fill in the blanks: Bilbo pulls the Ring from his ……… pocket and puts it on the middle finger of his ……… hand in the scene with the spiders.
a) left, left
b) left, right
c) right, left
d) right, right

12. Bombur is knocked to the ground during the skirmish with the spiders. A spider stands over the dwarf to bite him. The others come to Bombur rescue and pull its legs off, killing it. Who grabs the first leg to the right?
a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Nori
d) Thorin

a) three
b) four
c) five
d) six

a) “Close the gate!”
b) “Let’s go!”
c) “Search them!”
d) “Take them!”

15. Thorin is brought before Thranduil, who begins questioning him. Which of the following sentences is not true?
a) It is the only time we see Thranduil wear his crown in The Desolation of Smaug.

#12 is somewhat difficult to understand. By right do you mean right of the screen, or right of the spider/Bombur?

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2014, 4:19pm

Post #3 of 22 (1441 views)
Shortcut
I'll try... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. b
2. c
3. b
4. b
5. b
6. d
7. d
8. b
9.a
10. b
11. a
12. b
13. c
14. a
15. a

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 20 2014, 4:21pm

Post #4 of 22 (1436 views)
Shortcut
#12 - right of the spider [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for the confusion.

“As he caught his footing, his head fell back, and the Milky Way flowed down inside him with a roar.” - Yasunari Kawabata, Snow Country

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Aug 20 2014, 4:22pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 20 2014, 7:22pm

Post #5 of 22 (1408 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Mind if I join you

2. The Greenway

3. Kili

4. Dark

5. Three if you are talking about segments (meaning every time the conversation turns to him) and five if you are counting actual sentences as a line each. Might want to clarify which one you mean, because I believe in movie terms each sentence is a line Wink

6. Bifur

7. 200 miles

8. I’ll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.

9. Dori

10. Dark blue

11. Right, left

12. Thorin

13. Five

14. Search them

15. It is the only time we see Thranduil wear his crown during DOS (we see Thranduil wear his crown for a glimpse where his eyes are shown before they're put in the dungeon, then again during this confrontation Smile).

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 20 2014, 8:19pm

Post #6 of 22 (1400 views)
Shortcut
#5 - the number of sentences [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like to be vague, don't I? Angelic

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2014, 10:58pm

Post #7 of 22 (1366 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm sure I'll do MUCH better at these... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha! Tongue

On the other hand, I have watched this one more recently than AUJ (like yesterday Cool). . .

c) “Mind if I join you?”

c) on the Greenway

c) Fili

a) dark

d) five

c) Gloin

b) 200 miles

b) Dori

b) blue

c) right, left

a) Bofur
??Not sure--they're all so covered in spiderwebs. Not Thorin, anyway.Angelic

b) four

a) “Close the gate!”

Thranduil does wear his crown during the closeup of his eyebrows (they are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar superior to Nori's Evil), which is technically not the same scene as the questioning...

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 2:33am

Post #8 of 22 (1348 views)
Shortcut
I dunno BF [In reply to] Can't Post

This is starting to remind me of those Trivial Pursuit questions like: "Who was the second unit director on The Hobbit movies?" Oh wait, I know that! Next you'll be asking us to count the number of mushrooms in Mirkwood! Tongue

In Reply To

Anyone up for another set of quizzes? Here’s your first chance to test your knowledge of the second installment of The Hobbit trilogy, The Desolation of Smaug.
The quiz consists of 15 questions like the previous ones. Correct answers and scores will be post in a few days.
Have fun! Smile

QUESTIONS

a) “Good evening!”
b) “I’ll have the same.”
c) “Mind if I join you?”

a) on the Causeway
b) on the East Road
c) on the Greenway
d) on the Old Road

a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Fili
d) Kili

a) dark
b) evil
c) foul
d) wicked

a) two
b) three
c) four
d) five

a) Bifur
b) Bofur
c) Gloin
d) Oin

a) 100 miles
b) 200 miles
c) 300 miles
d) 400 miles

a) Bofur himself
b) Dori
c) Nori
d) Ori

a) black
b) blue
c) brown
d) purple

a) left, left
b) left, right
c) right, left
d) right, right

a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Nori
d) Thorin

a) three
b) four
c) five
d) six

a) “Close the gate!”
b) “Let’s go!”
c) “Search them!”
d) “Take them!”

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 2:56am

Post #9 of 22 (1344 views)
Shortcut
DOS Quiz answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, these were pretty hard!

1. What is the first thing Gandalf says? C
a) “Good evening!”
b) “I’ll have the same.”
c) “Mind if I join you?”

2. Where did Gandalf say he had “ran into some unsavory characters”? C
a) on the Causeway
b) on the East Road
c) on the Greenway
d) on the Old Road

3. Beorn chases the Company to his house. Who is the second person to reach the door? C
a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Fili
d) Kili

4. Fill in the blank: “It’s not natural, none of it. It’s obvious: he’s under some ……… spell.” A
a) dark
b) evil
c) foul
d) wicked

5. How many lines does the Necromancer have during his conversation with Azog? D
a) two
b) three
c) four
d) five

6. Who is Bilbo seated next to at Beorn’s table? C
a) Bifur
b) Bofur
c) Gloin
d) Oin

7. How long does Gandalf say the way around Mirkwood is to the north? B
a) 100 miles
b) 200 miles
c) 300 miles
d) 400 miles

8. What does Gandalf say to Thorin before leaving the Company? A

9. Who picks up Bofur’s tobacco pouch? D
a) Bofur himself
b) Dori
c) Nori
d) Ori

10. What color are the butterflies that Bilbo sees when he climbs to the top of the trees? B
a) black
b) blue
c) brown
d) purple

11. Fill in the blanks: Bilbo pulls the Ring from his ……… pocket and puts it on the middle finger of his ……… hand in the scene with the spiders. B
a) left, left
b) left, right
c) right, left
d) right, right

12. Bombur is knocked to the ground during the skirmish with the spiders. A spider stands over the dwarf to bite him. The others come to Bombur rescue and pull its legs off, killing it. Who grabs the first leg to the right? B
a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Nori
d) Thorin

13. How many spiders does Tauriel kill while saving Kili? C
a) three
b) four
c) five
d) six

14. What does the phrase “Holo in ennyn!” mean? A
a) “Close the gate!”
b) “Let’s go!”
c) “Search them!”
d) “Take them!”

15. Thorin is brought before Thranduil, who begins questioning him. Which of the following sentences is not true? B

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2014, 4:16am

Post #10 of 22 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Drat [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have enough time to mull these over.

c) “Mind if I join you?”

c, b then d. Don't think he says a?

c) on the Greenway

Ip dip doo ...
b) Dwalin

a) dark

b) three

One sentence for each Elven ring.

c) Gloin

b) 200 miles

It took me a couple of reads to spot the differences in these sentence. a) sounds right to me.

d) Ori --> This is the only one I'm definitely sure of.

b) blue --> Make that two I am sure of.

Who ever said foxes were cunning?!

d) right, right

b) Dwalin, 'cos he's 'ard.

She surfes down on two, kills the one on Kili's leg, then one behind hear, and then one more.

c) five

d) “Take them!”

I don't remember it later on.

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 21 2014, 4:30am

Post #11 of 22 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Redemption for the Cat. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. *realizes this is DOS and not AUJ* Ok, B
2. B
3. D
4. D
5. C
6. A?
7. C
8. A
9. A
10. A Oh, now that one is cruel for reasons I know you know. MadWink
11. B
12. B
13. C
14. D
15. D

Ugh, that was tough. Well done. Evil

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 4:44am

Post #12 of 22 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm guessing I am right [In reply to] Can't Post

either way, depending on your definition of "line" lol Tongue So I suppose that, if I have both numbers right in the scenario based on the details (sentence vs how many different times he spoke) I should theoretically still get it right Wink

That is, if my numbers for each scenario are correct Evil

OrangeBerserk

Aug 21 2014, 4:54am

Post #13 of 22 (1332 views)
Shortcut
My Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

a) “Good evening!”
b) “I’ll have the same.”
c) “Mind if I join you?”

a) on the Causeway
b) on the East Road
c) on the Greenway
d) on the Old Road

a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Fili
d) Kili

a) dark
b) evil
c) foul
d) wicked

a) two
b) three
c) four
d) five

a) Bifur
b) Bofur
c) Gloin
d) Oin

a) 100 miles
b) 200 miles
c) 300 miles
d) 400 miles

a) Bofur himself
b) Dori
c) Nori
d) Ori

a) black
b) blue
c) brown
d) purple

a) left, left
b) left, right
c) right, left
d) right, right

a) Bofur
b) Dwalin
c) Nori
d) Thorin

a) three
b) four
c) five
d) six

a) “Close the gate!”
b) “Let’s go!”
c) “Search them!”
d) “Take them!”

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Aug 21 2014, 2:08pm

Post #14 of 22 (1303 views)
Shortcut
My answers: [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Good Evening.

2. On the east road.

3. Dwalin

4. "dark" spell.

5. "four" lines.

6. Gloin

7. 200 miles.

hmmm .... these are more difficult than I thought they would be.

8. a) I'll be waiting for you at the overlook before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter the mountain without me.

9. Bofur himself.

10. a lovely shade of blue.

11. Left pocket .... left hand.

12. Dwalin

13. four

14. Search them.

15. There are four guards present at the questioning.

Please, call me Ve.

joec_34
Rivendell

Aug 21 2014, 6:53pm

Post #15 of 22 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Here goes nothing... [In reply to] Can't Post

01 b
02 b
03 a
04 c
05 b
06 d
07 b
08 b
09 c
10 b...because a doesn't work too well with 3D
11 a
12 a
13 c
14 a
15 b

eww, that was rough...mostly guesses...let's see how well my subconscious does!

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Aug 22 2014, 3:02am

Post #16 of 22 (1281 views)
Shortcut
oooh i love these quizzes :) [In reply to] Can't Post

c) “Mind if I join you?”

c) on the Greenway

c) Fili

a) dark

c) four

c) Gloin

b) 200 miles

b) Dori

b) blue

b) left, right

b) Dwalin (This is a complete and utter guess since to this day I have yet to watch this scene in full due to my irrational fear of arachnids)

b) four (Also a guess, my real answer is "Way too many")

a) “Close the gate!”

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 22 2014, 3:14am

Post #17 of 22 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen it in a while... [In reply to] Can't Post

1b
2c
3a
4d
5c
6b
7b
8a
9c
10b
11b
12b
13b
14d
15a

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 22 2014, 9:03am

Post #18 of 22 (1275 views)
Shortcut
I'll be posting the correct answers and scores tomorrow [In reply to] Can't Post

Which means there's still time for anyone else who feels like giving the quiz a try. Don't be shy - it's all for fun! Smile

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

Willow353
The Shire

Aug 22 2014, 10:15am

Post #19 of 22 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Alright...my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. c) "Mind of I join you?"

2. c) On the Greenway

3. a) Bofur?

4. a) Dark

5. c) Four?

6. c) Gloin

7. b) 200 miles

8. Oh, um...tossing up between a) and c)....I'll go with a) "I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me." ??

9. a) Bofur himself

10. b) Blue

11. c) Right, left

12. b) Dwalin? Not sure though 'cause I usually look away at this part. Spiders! Eek! *shudder*

13. c) Five

14. a) "Close the Gate!" ?

15. a) ?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 8:54am

Post #20 of 22 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Correct answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. c) “Mind if I join you?”
2. c) on the Greenway
3. c) Fili
4. a) dark
5. d) five
6. c) Gloin
7. b) 200 miles
8. a) “I’ll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me.”
9. d) Ori
10. b) blue
11. b) left, right
12. a) Bofur
13. c) five
14. a) “Close the gate!”
15. b) There are four guards present at the questioning. And due to my poor phrasing of the question, a) It is the only time we see Thranduil wear his crown in The Desolation of Smaug as well (many thanks to Cirashala and Riven Delve for making me realize my mistake by giving such thorough answers). My sincerest apologies for any confusion this might have caused.

And eternity in an hour.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 8:55am

Post #21 of 22 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Results [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for participating, everybody! I hope it has left you hungry for more.

Now, the results (each correct answer gave one point):
LordotRings93 - 11 points
Rembrethil - 5 points
Cirashala - 9 points
Riven Delve - 13 points (including 2 points for question #15)
Kim - 9 points
Kilidoescartwheels - 14 points
DanielLB - 10 points
cats16 - 3 points
OrangeBerserk - 9 points
VeArkenstone - 6 points
joec_34 - 6 points
MirielCelebel - 11 points
DaughterofLaketown - 6 points
Willow353 - 10 points

Well done! Smile

If you have any questions or spot any errors, don't hesitate to reply to this post or send me a PM. Thanks and be sure to keep an eye out for Round 2, coming soon!

And eternity in an hour.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Aug 23 2014, 8:56am)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2014, 7:17pm

Post #22 of 22 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Thanks BlackFox!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really must have another re-watch though...

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.