Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 19 2014, 10:01pm

Post #1 of 76 (1061 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently? Can't Post

tell us about them here

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 19 2014, 10:48pm

Post #2 of 76 (777 views)
Shortcut
Still mourning Robin Williams so [In reply to] Can't Post

I rewatched Good Will Hunting and I suddenly realized how great his natural voice was, bashful somehow and gentle. A classic instance of not knowing how much you appreciate someone until they are gone, I guess. Unsure I may also see The Fisher King though it looks like it'll be a downer. I'm sure a plethora of RW's movies will be popping up everywhere soon.

Also saw PJ's Heavenly Creatures for the first time. Very good though more disturbing than I expected. The one fun thing was watching a very young Jed Brophy playing *gasp* a human being, LOL.

Did you finally get to see ITS, Magpie? I'd love to read your review. I'm hoping the fam and I can finally go see GoG this week. I could use some fun escapism.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2014, 11:32pm

Post #3 of 76 (765 views)
Shortcut
The Dark Horse (5/5), Firefly and Serenity [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dark Horse is a superb movie. It's a New Zealand film based on the true story of Genesis Poutini, a former chess champion newly released from mental health care who volunteers at a chess club for underprivileged children. Initially he lives with his gang-member brother, but he is told to live elsewhere when his brother believes Poutini will interfere in his plans to have his son follow him into the gang.

It took me a while to see this film as the synopsis didn't particularly grab me, but it kept getting five-star reviews from critics - and it deserves them. It's a story of hope, and of just being there for people who need you. The acting is effortless, especially from the three leads - and I believe that the man who portrays Poutini's gang-member brother has never acted before, which makes me feel utterly talentless. The scene where the two brothers face off in a bedroom is heartbreaking.

I especially loved the scenes where so much is said with little or no dialogue, particularly in the last 10 minutes.

The film has just been selected for the Toronto Film Festival (as has What We Do In the Shadows, by the way) so keep an eye out for it at a film festival near you.

Firefly and Serenity

Rewatching Firefly was a simple joy, and it just made sense to follow it immediately with Serenity. Shortly after we had a repeat of the Big Bang Theory episode where Leonard moves into Sheldon's apartment and they're signing the Room Mate Agreement, including that Friday television will be reserved for "Joss Whedon's brilliant new show Firefly".
Leonard: "Do we have to sort that out now?"
Sheldon: "We might as well - it will be on for years."

Unimpressed

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Aug 19 2014, 11:50pm

Post #4 of 76 (759 views)
Shortcut
So true...losing Robin Wm felt like [In reply to] Can't Post

being a kid and hearing Santa Claus is not real...
he was everyone's favorite and will never be another like him..
Will be wishing the best for his children..

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Aug 19 2014, 11:53pm

Post #5 of 76 (756 views)
Shortcut
Gotta say...Outlander on Starz...love Scotland [In reply to] Can't Post

and have read all the books...
the sets and Scottish scenery are incredible....need to learn gaelic..

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 20 2014, 12:58am

Post #6 of 76 (747 views)
Shortcut
I rewatched disc 1 of Firefly after going to GotG. [In reply to] Can't Post

Outlaws and spaceships are the new chocolate and peanut butter.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Tintallë
Gondor

Aug 20 2014, 2:54am

Post #7 of 76 (746 views)
Shortcut
Calvary, Magic in the Moonlight, The Hundred Foot Journey [In reply to] Can't Post

Calvary - whew! Quite a movie - a very serious movie. The end - the very end - had me sitting there with tears flooding down my face. Beautiful movie beautifully made, but quite hard to watch.

Magic in the Moonlight - well, what's not to like about Colin Firth? I'm not a Woody Allen fan but this movie was pretty delightful, if a bit on the sticky sweet side.

The Hundred Foot Journey was terrific from start to finish. Loved the whole thing! It was a wonderful, wonderfully different story that left me smiling. I should have watched it AFTER Calvary. Oh well.

acheron
Gondor

Aug 20 2014, 3:54am

Post #8 of 76 (741 views)
Shortcut
also the Hundred Foot Journey [In reply to] Can't Post

First time I've been to a theater in a long time, but some inlaws were watching the kids, and we wanted to try seeing a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse. (It is a great place to see a movie I have to say. The theater is not annoying, they make sure fellow theater-goers are not being annoying, and they bring you beer and food while you watch the movie.) Picked this one, which I hadn't heard of but Mrs Acheron suggested. (As far as movies currently out, I would have voted for Boyhood had they been showing it, but they were not.)

Anyway, it was a cute movie. Prompted a discussion about if we've ever eaten at a Michelin-starred restaurant (yes, with 3). Helen Mirren was wonderful as always.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 20 2014, 9:07am

Post #9 of 76 (731 views)
Shortcut
My weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

Star Wars - Episode I: Ugh, I watched it for nostalgia reasons as I loved it as a kid. Couldn't believe how much I disliked it.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: As I said in the other thread - this might very well carry home the VFX Oscar. The bad human storyline dragged it down from being a masterpiece - but it was still very good cinema.

Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au bon Dieu?: Great fun... not as good as I had hoped, maybe, but very charming French comedy.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 20 2014, 9:56am

Post #10 of 76 (725 views)
Shortcut
I have not heard a bad word [In reply to] Can't Post

about The Dark Horse. I am hopefully seeing it on Friday.
It might be a good way to rid my memory of Uncle Bully, having subjected myself to a rewatch of Once Were Warriors as preparation for the 20th anniversary documentary. Crazy

A chess club is starting up at our school, initiated by one of our 'big brother' mentors. We are funnelling a few likely candidates his way.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2014, 1:37pm

Post #11 of 76 (710 views)
Shortcut
I watched The BIrdcage [In reply to] Can't Post

and shared it with my older kids who had not seen it. RW had so many good movies but I picked this one on a whim just for the sheer silly joy of it. My kids loved it. Next up, Dead Poets Society. My oldest is coming home this weekend and hasn't seen it yet.

Heavenly Creatures is one of those movies I watched out of curiosity because I'm a fan of Anne Perry's books. It was disturbing to me too and had me wondering about so many things about human nature. I came out of it shaking my head trying to deny what I just saw. *shivers*

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2014, 1:45pm

Post #12 of 76 (706 views)
Shortcut
Had lots of laundry to do [In reply to] Can't Post

so I picked a series to keep me company. This time it was Edward Petherbridge's Wimsey - Strong Poison, Have His Carcase and Gaudy Night.

He looks, sounds and acts so much like the Wimsey in my head (Although Ian Carmichael sounded a bit closer) that I can't watch him in anything else! Harriet Vane is played by Harriet Walters and does a fantastic job of falling for Peter without wanting to fall for Peter. (Personally I think she was a ninny to say no to him for all that time but that's just me. Maybe she hadn't read all the other books about him like I had. Smile ) Peter's proposals, at decent intervals as he says, are charming and silly. The mysteries are good, with red herrings (pun intended because someone actually blames Bolsheviks at one point) and a few good twists and the series is as good a watch as the books a read.

Annael
Immortal

Aug 20 2014, 3:22pm

Post #13 of 76 (705 views)
Shortcut
The Fisher King [In reply to] Can't Post

well worth watching; I own it. Robin & Jeff Bridges are both wonderful. And no, it's not a downer; it's about what we need for healing.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Aug 20 2014, 3:35pm

Post #14 of 76 (698 views)
Shortcut
wish I had Starz [In reply to] Can't Post

landlords control what channels we get so . . .

I got to see the first episode, and thought it was perfect. It will be hard to wait until the entire season comes out on DVD.

Anyone else think the actor playing Jamie looks a bit like Christopher Reeve?

Also, having dislocated my own shoulder TWICE, I had to cringe at the accuracy of the "relocating" scene. The makeup folks did that very well.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2014, 3:36pm

Post #15 of 76 (702 views)
Shortcut
Don't subscribe to STARZ and haven't read the books [In reply to] Can't Post

but did catch the premiere because it was a freebie and -- OMG -- the beauty of Scotland just gobsmacked me! Overall, very impressive series debut though hope Graham MacTavish has more to do in future eps. (For when, months from now, the rest of the series is available for me to watch Wink)

(This post was edited by The Grey Elf on Aug 20 2014, 3:37pm)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 20 2014, 3:40pm

Post #16 of 76 (709 views)
Shortcut
saw "Gravity" last night with my depth psych study group [In reply to] Can't Post

oh my, did we find lots of archetypal & mythical elements in that movie.

I missed seeing it on the big screen though. It's not as powerful on my 42-inch screen; in the theater, the enormity of her situation comes through better - as does the beauty of the Earth revolving below her.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2014, 4:21pm

Post #17 of 76 (698 views)
Shortcut
Also rewatched The Help. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't comment on how good an adaption it is not having read the book but really enjoy this movie. It has some significant flaws (unbalanced due to combining more dimensional characters with cartoonish ones -- I mean, Hildy might as well have a mustache to twirl. On the other hand, she is delicious fun to hate. Wink) But, oh, what an outstanding palette of actresses. I can't think of another female-centric movie with so much talent on display. From Viola Davis to Allison Janey to Octavia Spencer to Sissy Spacek to Jessica Chastain (who managed to make a caricature sympathetic) to .... I could go on and on. Perhaps I should call this one a guilty pleasure. Cool

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 20 2014, 4:47pm

Post #18 of 76 (696 views)
Shortcut
Almighty Johnsons, Outlander & Lucy [In reply to] Can't Post

Caught another episode of Almighty Johnsons on Syfy - gotta say being an Oklahoman I had some trouble getting what they were saying. A few times I had to back it up & re-watch the scene, but I suppose Kiwis might have trouble understanding me as well.

My hubby wanted to see "Lucy" or Scarlett Johansson, probably not a terrific movie & really didn't understand the ending. Oh well, I get paid Friday & will probably watch Guardians, or maybe Into the Storm again - really want to catch the new Hobbit trailer if possible.

Outlander - I'm not only paying extra money for Starz but I'm recording the episodes as well. My son-in-law Drew watched episode 2 with me & was hooked. So Sunday I got my daughter to sit down & watch the first episode with me & Drew, and I asked her if she liked it. "Yes," she said, "give me the remote." We then watched the 2nd episode and didn't get to bed until 11:30! I'm currently reading the book, and there are a few minor differences so far. It looks like the show is making Dougal (Grahm McTavish) to be more of an adversary than I think he is in the book, but maybe I'm mis-reading the book. I'm passed the halfway point, might actually get it finished before the season ends. Already renewed for season 2, woo-hoo!!!

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 20 2014, 6:19pm

Post #19 of 76 (684 views)
Shortcut
I recently read 'So Brilliantly Clever' [In reply to] Can't Post

It is about the Parker/Hulme murder case.
It's pretty dreadful, and the actual murder is far worse in reality than what is depicted in the film.
I really struggle to make any sense of Anne Perry. Nothing I have ever seen her say in interviews and nothing in her behaviour convinces me that she has ever truly acknowledged what she actually did. She still comes across to me as an arrogant teenager who wants everything to go her way.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 20 2014, 7:30pm

Post #20 of 76 (681 views)
Shortcut
It's not just the Oklahomans [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta say, I've been having a hard time with the Kiwi accents sometimes too, which I wasn't expecting since I feel like I've heard it a lot in all the movie Appendices and interviews. I'm mostly familiar with the different vowel sounds, but I think once they start talking really fast and/or throwing in slang, that's where I get a little lost.

Side question: when you watched Into the Storm, did you notice anything special about their accents? It's set in Oklahoma, but their accents seemed pretty generic to me. I've only been there once (to Tulsa), and I don't remember a distinct accent, so was just curious if anything jumped out at you when watching the movie.

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2014, 7:31pm

Post #21 of 76 (676 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know that Once Were Warriors was on TV [In reply to] Can't Post

or I'd have watched it again. Although that film is seared into my memory so a rewatch probably wasn't necessary anyway.

I think I'd enjoy playing chess if I understood the strategies behind it - I only know what moves each piece makes.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 20 2014, 7:31pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2014, 7:33pm

Post #22 of 76 (679 views)
Shortcut
I sometimes have to rewind a few seconds [In reply to] Can't Post

to listen to Anders again to hear what he's saying, but Ty has a beautifully crisp voice that I'm slightly envious of.

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Aug 20 2014, 7:37pm

Post #23 of 76 (672 views)
Shortcut
Yikes [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty disturbing to hear it was actually worse than what we saw in the film. I found the movie to be really hard to watch due to the subject matter, and after watching it, I had absolutely no desire to read Anne Perry (I don't think I ever have read any of her books, but didn't realize who she actually was until recently). I did wonder what she was like now and if anything had changed - guess not.

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2014, 7:39pm

Post #24 of 76 (672 views)
Shortcut
I can remember [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so very long after the movie came out, someone put two-and-two together and outed Ms. Perry to the general public. She put a brief statement up on her website saying that the events were in the past and she had a new life now. Period. It was odd and had me looking at her writing very differently. I still love Monk and I still love Thomas Pitt and her WWI novels were really good too. But sometimes something in one of her books brings me up short and I wonder ...

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 20 2014, 7:45pm

Post #25 of 76 (678 views)
Shortcut
Hey, so did we! [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch Firefly and Serenity last week.
My kids just found out how we are related to Alan Tudyk. They share a great-great-great grandfather.

Then, my brother sent me a picture of him with Alan at the San Antonio airport. Alan actually asked my brother for the picture! Very nice guy.
Apparently, he doesn't meet many relatives on the road. Tongue

So the Little Eruvandes are on a quest to see "Cousin Alan's" body of work. Of course, I started them off on Firefly. Cool

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.