Do yourself a favor...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kilifili
The Shire

Aug 18 2014, 5:49pm

Post #26 of 42 (712 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy them... [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply enjoy these movies without any efford. Of course, the walnut pillow always makes me smile and Legolas glooming eyes are a bit scary, but ... whatever. These movies (and of course the books) are like a home to my heart where I can always return to. Nothing else to say.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Aug 18 2014, 11:26pm

Post #27 of 42 (721 views)
Shortcut
They are terrible films. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that is pretty universal.

But hanging out here you would think they were masterpieces...

lurtz2010
Rohan

Aug 19 2014, 12:21am

Post #28 of 42 (700 views)
Shortcut
you're cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea where you got that "universal" from.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 19 2014, 1:46am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 19 2014, 3:51am

Post #29 of 42 (694 views)
Shortcut
There's nothing wrong with liking the movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor is there anything wrong in thinking they are masterpieces.

Just like there is nothing wrong with disliking the movies. Nor is there anything wrong in thinking they are terrible movies.

Nothing is universal. Not even across a fandom.

The fact is, we all lie somewhere on the spectrum between good movie/adaptation vs bad movie/adaptation, and no-one else but ourselves occupies a single space on that spectrum. And wherever you sit is okay.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 19 2014, 4:00am)

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Aug 19 2014, 6:31am

Post #30 of 42 (660 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, I think your attitude towards fandom should be universal :)

In Reply To

Just like there is nothing wrong with disliking the movies. Nor is there anything wrong in thinking they are terrible movies.

The fact is, we all lie somewhere on the spectrum between good movie/adaptation vs bad movie/adaptation, and no-one else but ourselves occupies a single space on that spectrum. And wherever you sit is okay.

Spalko
Rivendell

Aug 19 2014, 7:06am

Post #31 of 42 (659 views)
Shortcut
Exactly, I couldn't agree more [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 19 2014, 7:16am

Post #32 of 42 (666 views)
Shortcut
universal [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is why some people lash out at people that dislike the movies. When you claim that it's universally accepted that they're terrible movies... well, it's kind of hard to take your opinion seriously at that point.

Whether you like them or not doesn't change the fact that a lot of people (possibly most people) enjoy these movies to some degree. Rotten Tomatoes certainly isn't the end all decision maker when it comes to stating the quality of movie, but the fact they're both rated "fresh" makes it hard to see where this universal terrible-ness is coming from. And that's just one example.

I'd say a movie that is universally (if I had to use that word) accepted to be terrible would be something like the Last Airbender. The Hobbit movies don't even come close to gaining that level of universal (there's that word again) hatred from critics, fans, and casual movie goers.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Aug 19 2014, 7:21am)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 19 2014, 2:34pm

Post #33 of 42 (646 views)
Shortcut
If I thought these films were horrible [In reply to] Can't Post

and I find many films/series terrible or totally uninteresting, I would not be here reading, and sometimes writing posts.
Simply I would not have joined this community (my one and only).
And if I had lost interest in it, or if I had been really disappointed by the Hobbit films, I would have stopped logging on this site...

Wink

Morthoron
Gondor

Aug 19 2014, 5:32pm

Post #34 of 42 (635 views)
Shortcut
if that is the case, my dear Daniel.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I have fallen off the spectrum altogether. I could respect PJ for his efforts on the LotR films -- even with the sometimes appalling baggage he dragged into them -- because, all in all, he did a creditable job in bringing Middle-earth to life, even if I didn't agree with all his extraneous plotlines.

However, this wholesale fan-fictionalization that has enveloped The Hobbit like a smoky reek is unacceptable meddling worse than the Sackville-Baggins setting up shop at Bag-End and ruining the Shire. That is, of course, my opinion, and no amount of shutting my brain off or taking mind-altering drugs will change my view of this travesty.

On the bright side, you and I can still discuss the books with reverence. Just don't mention that...ummm...what's the word I'm looking for to replace the expletives I am thinking? Ah yes, adaptation.Wink

As you inferred, c'est la vie. Or c'est la guerre, perhaps. People's feelings toward the films are unshakable, it seems, but rather than drawing battle lines, we should be more accepting of opposing opinions. No matter how obviously daft and wrong-headed they may be.

In Reply To

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2014, 11:17pm

Post #35 of 42 (583 views)
Shortcut
If that's really what you desire... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that is, to talk about the books and not be bothered by the adaptation, then the Reading Room is the place for you, where the talk is about the books rather than the other thing. This being the section of the forum dedicated entirely to the unspeakable, one must expect that to be the continual topic, and to come here is merely to subject oneself to endless reminders of the horror. Of course, some people are gluttons for punishment... Wink

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Aug 19 2014, 11:41pm

Post #36 of 42 (588 views)
Shortcut
Stop coming here? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love lotrs. I think they are the best films ever made! I love the books. The Hobbit is probably my favourite book of all time...

So I should stop coming to this site because I don't like the Hobbit films??

Morthoron
Gondor

Aug 20 2014, 12:58am

Post #37 of 42 (567 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...that is, to talk about the books and not be bothered by the adaptation, then the Reading Room is the place for you, where the talk is about the books rather than the other thing. This being the section of the forum dedicated entirely to the unspeakable, one must expect that to be the continual topic, and to come here is merely to subject oneself to endless reminders of the horror. Of course, some people are gluttons for punishment... Wink

Having been here over six years with this current log-in and name, I am quite aware of the location of the Reading Room, as I have participated in countless worthwhile discussions therein.

But thanks for showing me my "proper place". Perhaps you are right, people with an opposing point of view certainly aren't welcome here, shouldn't voice there concerns, or comment at all; unless they are, as you stayed, "gluttons for punishment".

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2014, 1:42am

Post #38 of 42 (570 views)
Shortcut
Not at all.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was making a tongue-in-cheek reply to this, which I assumed was also meant to be read as tongue-in-cheek:

On the bright side, you and I can still discuss the books with reverence. Just don't mention that...ummm...what's the word I'm looking for to replace the expletives I am thinking? Ah yes, adaptation.Wink

But I suppose this does illustrate a major difficulty in communication online - one might write a message in a certain tone but fail to see the same intended tone in someone else's response. My apologies that my winky face was insufficient to recall yours. I am not telling you to leave the board, any more than you were really telling Daniel never to discuss the movies with you on the movie board.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Aug 20 2014, 5:57am

Post #39 of 42 (548 views)
Shortcut
Cannot speak for all [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I doubt that most people here would want someone to leave over a difference of opinion. But, communication on the Internet, with a lack of social cues and vocal tones makes it more difficult for sarcasm to be understood. Which is sad, because I speak fluent sarcasmlish ;)

On a more serious note, a discussion of the merits of the Hobbit films, both for and against, is welcome, in my opinion. However, as with any topic in fandom, there are deep, entrench, opinions, which are not easily persuaded to change and cause very defensive responses.

I certainly welcome difference of opinions but I think we can agree that the films cannot be regarded as universally, anymore than one could say the Hobbit book is universally good.

I do hope you will stick around :)

In Reply To
I love lotrs. I think they are the best films ever made! I love the books. The Hobbit is probably my favourite book of all time...

So I should stop coming to this site because I don't like the Hobbit films??

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 20 2014, 7:32am

Post #40 of 42 (535 views)
Shortcut
Hm [In reply to] Can't Post

There are plenty of people here who like to discuss the pros and cons of these movies rationally and without the "fanboy vs. hater" attitude.

Sometimes disussions get a bit heated and snarky, especially when the minority of posters who indeed do have issues with accepting opposing views ( from both sides of the continuum) heat things up unnecessarily. And occasionally both sides felt like this board did either not welcome opposing views or that there was too much negativity at different points in time.

But looking back at most debates, we were mostly able to go back to reasonable and rational discussions. SO it would be shame if you'd leave, I think. :)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 20 2014, 1:11pm

Post #41 of 42 (517 views)
Shortcut
Indeed they most certainly are! [In reply to] Can't Post

From Merriam-Webster: "Terrible (adjecttive): formidable in nature: awesome"

Glad you agree!!!

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man pierced with many black-feathered arrows, must be in want of a funeral."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2014, 1:43pm

Post #42 of 42 (515 views)
Shortcut
This forum is for fans of Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

and all are welcome here. We have many message boards other than the Hobbit movie, and many people spend time in them in addition to, or sometimes instead of, this board.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 20 2014, 1:44pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.