The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Collecting The Precious - The Bridge Direct's Smaug Figure

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Aug 19 2014, 7:34pm

Post #1 of 8 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Collecting The Precious - The Bridge Direct's Smaug Figure Can't Post

The summer of Smaug continues with another new product of the best dragon to ever appear on the big screen. We're pleased to team up with our friends at The Bridge Direct to exclusively announce their Smaug action figure for their The Hobbit Trilogy line of figurines. This huge Smaug figure has an exclusive pre-sale starting TODAY at WB.Com in which fans can place a pre-order for this figure that will be limited to only 3000 pieces world-wide. Smaug could be yours for $69 and will be shipping from WB.Com in December of this year.

Full description of Smaug from The Bridge Direct:
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Smaug Large Scale Poseable Action Figure

From the depths of Erebor and the film The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies comes this detailed, limited edition Smaug the dragon large scale action figure, complete with a surprise 1.5" figure and accessory. Featuring an impressive 22 inch wingspan, Smaug stands tall, measuring 21 inches. No details were overlooked as this center piece of any action figure collection was in development. Smaug boasts ten points of articulation and underwent over 140 painting procedures. The figure is plastic, but Smaug's tail and wingtips have a wire core, allowing for additional poses. This item has a limited edition production run of 3000 units and each box will be labeled with a gold sticker indicating the number.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Aug 20 2014, 1:45am)

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 20 2014, 2:20am

Post #2 of 8 (1061 views)
Shortcut
I am so disappointed in Bridge Direct. [In reply to] Can't Post

I collected every single 6" action figure from the Toybiz line of Lord of the Rings. There were action figures for even the most obscure characters in the film. On top of that, the figures were richly detailed.

Bridge Direct has dropped the ball with the Hobbit line and failed to output any figures of value. They have only a handful of poor 6" figures, and a line of less desirable 3" figures that fail to impress. This is too little too late. I really hope the license passes onto a company that isn't going through financial turmoil and can actually successfully carry out products that honor and respect the films.

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Aug 20 2014, 2:21am)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 20 2014, 3:55pm

Post #3 of 8 (1017 views)
Shortcut
That looks flipping awesome!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really can't wait for this! Looks fantastic.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 20 2014, 4:00pm

Post #4 of 8 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Their figures are pretty good [In reply to] Can't Post

I love TBD's figures, especially the 3 3/4 inch line. They are greatly detailed, and don't have any of those "action features" that plagued the early LOTR figures.

But this is why I'm also pissed at TBD and WB fog giving them this license: they haven't done much with it! There is SO MUCH potential with Middle-earth figures, and with AUJ alone they could've had a whole array of figures and sets, yet they only released about 10 (if that), and with DOS they only put out 3 (2 new, and 1 repack basically). Such a shame, as they could also make LOTR figures too (I believe I remember them saying they were debating it). I hope BOTFA gets a much bigger wave of figures, and that after the film TBD still makes Hobbit figures. I'd hate to see Hobbit/Middle-earth merch just drift away since there's no new movie coming.

But, I also must put the blame on the 3 film decision. This really screwed up TBD, as they had figures made and packages created, but now characters they were releasing for AUJ (Legolas and Tauriel and Bolg) wouldn't feature into the movie (Bolg gets his slight Moria cameo). And with DOS, they probably had no time to create figures, so they essentially had to cut down on the DOS wave. With BOTFA, they probably had much more time to plan figures and packaging so no missteps this time.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 20 2014, 4:02pm

Post #5 of 8 (1015 views)
Shortcut
It does look really good I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got this on order.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Aug 20 2014, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 8 (1006 views)
Shortcut
I think about this too [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the fault isn't so much with Bridge Direct as with the nature of the three film split screwing up their marketing materials or whatever they're given from WB and the filmmakers. I bet due to some secrecy surrounding character reveals and very last minute design changes that have become common during the making of these films has created a no-win situation for this toy company.

I'm still holding out for a transforming Necromancer that goes from a shadowy silhouette to the Last Alliance Sauron in full battle armor to a giant eyeball. Make it happen! Sly

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 22 2014, 6:38pm

Post #7 of 8 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Preordered and got charged already? (HobbitShop.com) [In reply to] Can't Post

So I preordered the figure and already got charged the $80 on my credit card. Huh? Even the email said you won't be charged for preordered or unavailable items, yet I already got the money taken from me. I asked HobbitShop to cancel it but will take 2 days for response.... Is this right, and has anyone else preordered the figure from HobbitShop?

ImetLEGOLAS
Rivendell

Sep 10 2014, 7:18pm

Post #8 of 8 (1003 views)
Shortcut
WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUUU?!?!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown

WE WANTS IT, WE NEEDS IT!

I MET ORLANDO!!! And Sir Ian Mckellen, Andy Serkis, Lee Pace and Peter Jackson!!! Elves taught trees!!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.