Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 12:06am

Post #1 of 207 (14713 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part X  

Wow, that was fast. Here we go again! EvilHeart

HeartHeartHeartTA Deca-thread!HeartHeartHeart

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Clicky!)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:

I (Originating thread and II by Rowan Greene)
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
(Thread by Eruvandi)
VIII
IX

Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker.

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon
Tongue

• Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING") See also "Pretty!"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • LA: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies: LP's 2007/2008 TV series.
  • Peckish Thrall: Avandel's TA humour panels ala Peckish Owl (So this is new, sue me. I'm just pre-emptively perpetuating something that's an eventuality Angelic)
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend"
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occassionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know his name, google is your mellon)
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 posts, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 postcount (See this tip about avoiding post-death while threadtipping). See also "Threadlock"
  • TW: Thrall Wars. An ongoing bit of silliness in the Fan Art board ribbing everything in and about the Thralldoms of Thranduil and that disagreeable dwarf (see "T&T"). Only one thing is sure: nothing and no one is safe Evil Think of it as vicarious authorly pretensions in miniature ping-pong mode, usually between Avandel and yours truly... Morphing into a 3-player mahjong game with Kerewyn dipping her toes inHeart
  • Woodland Weekend: Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!"

Keeping track of the appreciation
Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn (new, posted 10 August), Four

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 18 2014, 12:07am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 12:17am

Post #2 of 207 (13593 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil's sword (in response to VValar's post in TAIX) [In reply to]  

I shouldn't be online at this time but just gotta respond to VValar's post and encountered threadlockEvil . Anyway, enough of the preamble...

So VValar:
woot! Awesome question! And nice observation about the crossguard on Thranduil's sword Heart! Do you do swordplay?

So quickly: I think that little slanted florish between hilt and blade is all Thranduil's getting for a crossguard. Which means, to quote you: "he is so super awesome in his fighting Heart that he hardly needs one!

Also, that thread you mentioned is Thranduil's weapons and fighting style. I started it and I'd love more talk about his sword(which is still quite muted thus far - there were great comments about fight-style but we need ANALYSIS on that sword and how ThranduilHeart uses it/them!) so go ahead, get posting there if you want.

PS: Can't wait til we get to ref TAXILaughTongue

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn (new, posted 10 August), Four

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Willow353
The Shire

Aug 18 2014, 5:34am

Post #3 of 207 (13572 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil with sword [In reply to]  

I thought I should start decorating- now that I know how to Smile Thanks for your post about adding images and posting them...I've bookmarked the page so I don't lose it :)

As you were talking about Thranduil's sword, I was searching pictures of Thranduil online and found this one. What do you think?

Image online
http://simaell.deviantart.com/art/Thranduil-414601239

Willow353
The Shire

Aug 18 2014, 5:46am

Post #4 of 207 (13621 views)
Shortcut
     Pic of Mirkwood [In reply to]  

I really like this pic of Mirkwood. Love how they've shown the butterflies. I'm not sure if you can see them at this size- but if you make the pic bigger you can see the eyes in the trees! (I tried making the pic clickable by following your instructions Lurker in the Mirk :) )

(This post was edited by Willow353 on Aug 18 2014, 5:47am)

VValar
Gondor

Aug 18 2014, 9:29am

Post #5 of 207 (13484 views)
Shortcut
     Wow #10 already [In reply to]  

Wow can't believe how fast #9 went.
That reminds me to read #1-8 thoroughly again.

Great opening Lurker Heart and wauw.... just wauw *cries* thanks for sharing !!
Heart Heart Heart Heart

Heart Heart Heart Heart

Ok I didn't know this as a newbe. Thanks!

Keeping track of the appreciation
Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

His Awesomeness whishes everyone a happy thread
Heart Heart Heart Heart

VValar
Gondor

Aug 18 2014, 9:39am

Post #6 of 207 (13514 views)
Shortcut
     Very dark [In reply to]  

I love your new decorating hobby Willow353 Cool
That picture of Mirkwood is so dark and creepy. I don't know if I would step out into those woods if I had to. But then again, if I think of the person I could come across if I actually survived... I might reconsider Heart

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2014, 9:45am

Post #7 of 207 (13528 views)
Shortcut
     I would like to see the feast at Thranduil´s... [In reply to]  

And Thranduil being in a throne surrounded by party elves, and then suddenly he wakes up and start singing

you remind me of a babe?

VValar
Gondor

Aug 18 2014, 10:05am

Post #8 of 207 (13509 views)
Shortcut
     Thnx for the link [In reply to]  

I'm going to read through that topic this afternoon and post the question there as well. I loved to read the different opinions about his technique and because of these analysis, I found out his different swordgrip on both swords (hadn't noticed the first time watching the teaser). I mean, how awesome can one Elf get? Does he even know how badass he looks while wielding both of his swords in a totally different manner? Not to mention he brings his swordfighting to a whole other level.

Yeah I now get why he is considered one of the best fighters in Middle Earth. And I haven't even seen anything other than bits a pieces of the teaser (and the Orc beheading in DOS). Omg can't wait to finally see him in action, I hope PJ puts lots of Thranduil fighting in BotFA so we can all marvel at it.

No unfortunately I don't do swordplay. But I was fascinated by it ever since I was young and loved Japanese/fighting movies. I begged my parents for a Katana to hang in my room when I was 10 (of course they just laughed at me and I got me a pony instead, which is not a bad deal when I come to think of it but clearly a discouragement to engage in any fighting).
But I'd like to think Iknow an absolutely badass swordsman when I see one (on screen that is) and Thranduil plays the part really well Heart Phew you're right, he probably doesn't even need a petty crossguard 'cause nobody can touch him in his obliterating Orc-destroying technique. Yes that's it! Shocked

elf-lady
Rivendell

Aug 18 2014, 11:42am

Post #9 of 207 (13487 views)
Shortcut
     Holy Moly! [In reply to]  

I've been away again on business and we're up to part 10 of TA thread?! I'm seriously impressed! Cool I do wish I had more time to spend with my fellow thralls in appreciating our lovely Elvenking but alas, RL does not permit. I'll check in now and then to read and flail sedately comment about Thranduil's magnificence, his noble demeanor and his overall glorious self. Heart Thanks everyone and keep up the terrific work sharing!

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Aug 18 2014, 11:43am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 1:07pm

Post #10 of 207 (13489 views)
Shortcut
     Perfectly done your clicky pic *applause* [In reply to]  

Smile And thanks! I like that image of Mirkwood. Suitably dark... the one complaint I have about the movie Mirkwood is it's too bright CrazyFrown

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 1:08pm

Post #11 of 207 (13499 views)
Shortcut
     My gripe... [In reply to]  

the crown Tongue

Otherwise it's not a bad effort at all. The details on the armour's good.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 1:10pm

Post #12 of 207 (13496 views)
Shortcut
     LOL VValar! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I love your new decorating hobby Willow353 Cool
That picture of Mirkwood is so dark and creepy. I don't know if I would step out into those woods if I had to. But then again, if I think of the person I could come across if I actually survived... I might reconsider Heart

Exactly!HeartAngelicSly

There was a discussion in one of the earlier TA threads about Mirkwood itself, I think Kerewyn started it. You should look it up if you're interested in the forest.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 1:13pm

Post #13 of 207 (13455 views)
Shortcut
     *excited* Yay fellow armchair swordplay expert [In reply to]  

HehBlush Hope you find the fight-style and weapons thread interesting if not informative... which reminds me, I need to go look in on the one I did for Thorin aka disagreeable (among other things) DwarfTongue

I'd like to think Iknow an absolutely badass swordsman when I see one (on screen that is) and Thranduil plays the part really well Heart Phew you're right, he probably doesn't even need a petty crossguard 'cause nobody can touch him in his obliterating Orc-destroying technique. Yes that's it! Shocked

I definitely get you re that feeling of I know what I'm talkingAngelic And yes, Thranduil's sword has no crossguard, Thranduil's sword needs no crossguardHeartCool

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 18 2014, 1:14pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 1:16pm

Post #14 of 207 (13476 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome! [In reply to]  

Just got lucky, happened to see it and was thinking it'd make a great pic for a TA thread opening post, and then Hey! we need a new thread.

PS You know the pic in the OP is a clickable right?

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 1:20pm

Post #15 of 207 (13492 views)
Shortcut
     *LOL* Sorry to crash your jam, Mr Arkenstone [In reply to]  

But your invite's for a party in the Misties, oh that way. But we hear that particular rave is either over or shifted to someplace called Gundabad? Something about the Great Goblin's left the building or something.Laugh

You're welcome to stick around though Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 1:23pm

Post #16 of 207 (13451 views)
Shortcut
     Hey elf-lady [In reply to]  

Glad to see you!

sorry to hear - RL's an inconvenience isn't it?Crazy Frankly, I'm not expecting all this fun and games to last either (just hoping it lasts until BotFA *fingers crossed)... so I'll make the best of it while I can Cool

Take care and we're holding you to your word: make sure we do see you around!

=======

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2014, 1:58pm

Post #17 of 207 (13404 views)
Shortcut
     Gun da(the) band [In reply to]  

Tongue

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 18 2014, 5:02pm

Post #18 of 207 (13402 views)
Shortcut
     Psst! [In reply to]  

The image in your footer is not showing.

“As he caught his footing, his head fell back, and the Milky Way flowed down inside him with a roar.” - Yasunari Kawabata, Snow Country

VValar
Gondor

Aug 18 2014, 5:14pm

Post #19 of 207 (13422 views)
Shortcut
     I love a huge pic of Thrandy [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Just got lucky, happened to see it and was thinking it'd make a great pic for a TA thread opening post, and then Hey! we need a new thread.

PS You know the pic in the OP is a clickable right?

Yes, yes preciousss we saws. I did my little happy dance when I clicked it and BOOM there it was, in my face. Made my day Wink

VValar
Gondor

Aug 18 2014, 5:20pm

Post #20 of 207 (13397 views)
Shortcut
     Hellooow [In reply to]  

Hi! We haven't met but it's nice to see you.
Hope RL will permit you to drop by now and then and enjoy the fabulousness Heart

VValar
Gondor

Aug 18 2014, 5:49pm

Post #21 of 207 (13428 views)
Shortcut
     Always a pleasure to discuss Thranduils fighting [In reply to]  

Thnx for the tip, I always want to know or see more of Mirkwood (pics, info, everything) because well, it's home to my favorite Elves *obviously* Laugh
It's in one of the former TA threads? I was planning on reading them anyway so I will come across it eventually.

In Reply To
I definitely get you re that feeling of I know what I'm talkingAngelic And yes, Thranduil's sword has no crossguard, Thranduil's sword needs no crossguardHeartCool

Haha exactly! HeartHeart Massive coolness-alert in the upcoming movie.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2014, 6:18pm

Post #22 of 207 (13364 views)
Shortcut
     My dear fox, I dont know how to fix that at all [In reply to]  

It is a photo of Bilbo I added a title but apparently I cant load it from my computerFrown

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 18 2014, 6:29pm

Post #23 of 207 (13399 views)
Shortcut
     You need to upload it to the web first [In reply to]  

From TORn FAQ:

1.12 How do I add a portrait to my user profile? To add a portrait to your user profile, click on the [Edit Profile] icon at the top of the board, then click on [User Profile]. Enter the address to your portrait URL in the box next to the words: “Portrait URL” and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on [Make Profile Changes]. If you have an image you’d like to use as a portrait, but it’s on your personal computer, you can upload it to your own website, use free hosting provided by your web browser (if applicable), or you can use a free image hosting service such as http://photobucket.com/. Please do not “hot-link” directly to a picture on another public internet site. See the Terms of Service rules for footers regarding more on hot-linking.

1.13 How do I create a footer/signature that will appear in my posts? After you log in, click on the [Edit Profile] icon at the top of the board, and then click on [User Profile]. Add your footer/signature in the box next to the word “Signature.” You may have text, a photo, or both. To add a photo to your footer, follow the same steps as adding a portrait to your profile (See step 1.12 above). Be sure to click on the [Make Profile Changes] link at the bottom of the page to save any changes. Keep in mind that whatever signature you are using at the time you make a post will stay with that post for all eternity. Please see the Terms of Service for rules regarding footers (including the size of pictures in footers).

“As he caught his footing, his head fell back, and the Milky Way flowed down inside him with a roar.” - Yasunari Kawabata, Snow Country

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Aug 18 2014, 7:44pm

Post #24 of 207 (13351 views)
Shortcut
     I LOVE Thranduil and think that it is Awesome - [In reply to]  

that his BlushAwesomeness Blush Needed another Thread ! Hope to see lots of Thranduil/LP in BOTFA - maybe even a glancing reference that his dad died before Barad-dur along with Gil-galad (his overlord) and Elendil ??

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 18 2014, 7:51pm

Post #25 of 207 (13376 views)
Shortcut
     Loved it too! Awesome! - and psst. VValar.... [In reply to]  

Re my asking you about Thorin and his arc:

I think it's because Thorin is the one character who is supposedly undergo the greatest transformation of all characters in TH.
I was intrigued to see it happen with Frodo/Sam, Gandalf and -to some extend- Aragorn in the LotR, who in my opinion changed most during the story as a character. In comparison to, for example Legolas or Gimli, who stay IMO most true to the characters they already are at the beginning of the Fellowship. Does that make sense? I hope it does, sometimes I'm hopeless at explaining.

Either for better or worse, I'm looking forward to seeing some character development. In Thorin, as well as Thranduil, who I think will also have a change of heart somewhere in the BoFA.
Of course everyone who is involved in the journey of TH will somehow be affected or changed by their experiences (Bilbo of course, not for a small part thanks to finding the ring - we already see it affecting him in DOS, Bard, Legolas, etc.) But mostly these characters will develop themselves in a good way, with Thorin this will not be the case. And I'm very curious to see it play out on the big screen.

Nice! And you make a great point that some other essayists have made - at times in a snarky manner - re all the characters that don't SEEM to within Tolkien, e.g I read a snarky comment once that Aragorn goes from wanderer to king in the films without a second of "introspection" about it, tho I would argue that Tolkien - to me - painted a picture that this wanderer always knew he was Isildur's heir, so why would he spend more time being introspective than Tolkien already depicted? Unsure

Thank you for answering, as if I had given that any thought - seeing as I always think Thorin is fine no matter where he atWink - hadn't thought of it that way, instead paying more attention to the fussy little Hobbit who now pulls out his sword as readily as the dwarves do. And chides them too.CoolCoolCool

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.