Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Revelation of The Arkenstone in DOS....

NateGate
Rivendell

Aug 17 2014, 10:36pm

Post #1 of 10 (914 views)
Shortcut
The Revelation of The Arkenstone in DOS.... Can't Post

I just had an epiphany, maybe I'm an idiot for not realizing this earlier, or maybe I am just one of the first to pick up on it.

After Smaug says "How do you choose to die?" to Bilbo, attempts to eat him, and blow flames at him, Bilbo disappears, and the positioning camera indicates that he runs UNDER Smaug TOWARDS where the Arkenstone was. What if, BILBO DID GET THE ARKENSTONE, and PJ is hiding this fact from us. This would show loyalty to the book as well. Not only that, but it would also show why Thorin was turning on Bilbo, and why Bilbo hesitated when Thorin asked him, "Did you find it?". Thorin suspects Bilbo of stealing the Arkenstone (PJ's subtle hint to the audience), and Bilbo's hesitates, instead of just saying no, Bilbo stutters and then gives an offhanded "no...we have to get out." Also look at Bilbo's face when he says this, that isn't horror or confusion, that's guilt written all over his face. This shows that Thorin's attitude may not be wholly ungrounded, and that Biblo may, after all, have gotten the Arkenstone as he did in the Book. PJ is only hiding it from the audience and seeing if we can pick up on the little hints.

Thoughts? :D

Size matters...
http://37.media.tumblr.com/00bbfb5c354255e11cd8386374b03bbe/tumblr_n5p4jtJVNT1siq18no1_1280.jpg

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2014, 10:42pm

Post #2 of 10 (529 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is definitely an open and foregrounded question as to what Bilbo has got in in his pocketses when it comes to the Arkenstone.

I think a reasonable amount of the shot positioning and action on screen is intend to point the audience towards this thought.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 10:54pm

Post #3 of 10 (537 views)
Shortcut
My immediate thought on seeing this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I have had the impression all along that Bilbo did pick up the Arkenstone, and was hiding it from Thorin.

Not Bilbo's finest moment – certainly not in the book, and probably not here, either.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2014, 11:04pm

Post #4 of 10 (550 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo has the arkenstone but he hides from Thorin because of Smaug´s words [In reply to] Can't Post

Concerning that Thorin has just used Bilbo and that he doesnt consider him his friend, just a tool, and all about being corrupted by it

When Thorin asks him he tries to read in Thorins eyes if he really cares about him or only has been using him (this is the power of the voice of the dragon) and also and most probably he doesnt know for what Thorin wants it, so its very plausible that Bilbo hides from him in order to avoid Thorin being corrupted or mad just as Smaug suggested

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 18 2014, 6:02am

Post #5 of 10 (417 views)
Shortcut
That's pretty much - [In reply to] Can't Post

its very plausible that Bilbo hides from him in order to avoid Thorin being corrupted or mad just as Smaug suggested

- what I was thinking. Quite a dilemma for the little Hobbit.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Aug 18 2014, 6:37am

Post #6 of 10 (406 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug's words came instantly into Bilbo's mind,and this was the main reason imo, that hid the Arkenstone from Thorin.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2014, 2:21pm

Post #7 of 10 (335 views)
Shortcut
In the book [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo even tries to rationalize what he did after Thorin's death by saying "Well I guess I made a mess of the Arkenstone business but I can hardly be blamed for that" or somesuch.

Yeah not Bilbo's best moment I agree with Glorfindela and I always felt bad about it in the book when he took it and gave it to Thranduil and Bard.

We shall see what happens here and how PJ handles it. I think he already has it, just like he did in the book. But maybe we will see him pick it up from insde. We have to pretty quickly though get to the scene where he gives it away because there's a lot going on in this movie. I think it may be quicker to see that he already has it.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Aug 18 2014, 10:04pm

Post #8 of 10 (288 views)
Shortcut
they set this up in the EE of AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

When Bilbo over-hears Elrond and Gandalf talking about dragon-sickness overcoming Thorin's ancestors.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Aug 19 2014, 6:51am

Post #9 of 10 (233 views)
Shortcut
That too FJ // [In reply to] Can't Post

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Aug 19 2014, 4:06pm

Post #10 of 10 (214 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo stumbling over his words at the point of Thorin's sword and his awkward expression only make sense if we interpret it this way. However, I think that perhaps audience members who have not read the book might not have picked up on this.

The only thing that saved Bilbo from Thorin's wrath at that moment was Smaug showing up. Talk about dramatic irony.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.