*Sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to hate myself for doing this... Unsure

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 17 2014, 3:11pm

Post #3 of 16 (424 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

So TheHutt, this is definitely the five disc version right? I remember last time they had the five disc version pictured, but the description said two discs. Since this description says five discs this is definitely the real deal, right? I can't wait to click pre-order!

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 17 2014, 4:31pm

Post #4 of 16 (427 views)
Shortcut
ah-oh! Warning to dvd collectors! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't mean to cause alarm over nothing, but there's something in the description that worries me greatly. The product measurement in inches is 5.5 x 0.5 x 7.44 (L x W x H). That means it is a half inch wide! That is the size of most regular 1 disc or 2 disc dvd cases. There is no conceivable way that the folded out 5 disc set featured in the picture could fit into a case that is only a half inch wide. The five disc dvd set I currently own for AUJ is 1 and 1/8 inches wide.

I am extremely concerned that Walmart has once again made the terrible mistake of advertising their 2 disc special edition of the Hobbit as a 5 disc set, and perhaps in an even worse way this time. Don't mean to spread a false alarm, as the error could simply be in the packaging numbers, but I felt I had to point it out.

All I'm saying is take warning, and you should definitely wait to purchase this until you know for sure what you're getting!

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Aug 17 2014, 4:33pm

Post #5 of 16 (379 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely going to wait until I see what is going on.

arbino man

Aug 17 2014, 4:55pm

Post #6 of 16 (384 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't worry too much.

It mentions the 5 discs, plus they are the only ones in the entire United States getting the product so they probably were given accurate photos to display and wouldn't have taken it from any of the International versions.

Plus, the Blu-Ray set is going for the same price for 3 discs. If it said $14.99 for the DVD, I might worry a little more, but I'm not. It wouldn't make sense to have it be 2 discs and selling for the same price as a Blu-ray with 3 discs.

I'm about 99% that the Walmart set will get all five discs as its an exclusive product and they know all the Hobbit fans will be going there to get their copy.

Edit: Also says list price was $34.98 which would be really high for a Warner Brothers SRP regular two discs. I'm pretty sure we are safe and it's going to be 5 discs.

Another Edit: The Blu-Ray set also says .5 inches. http://www.walmart.com/ip/38682505. So it's a safe bet that it's just a mass typo.

(This post was edited by arbino man on Aug 17 2014, 5:00pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 17 2014, 5:18pm

Post #7 of 16 (359 views)
Shortcut
Thank you arbino man [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the information. Now that I see your points I agree with you and I believe you're right. It's a very safe bet that this is in fact the five disc version! Which is quite a relief, I must say; waiting until Spring 2015 for the 5 disc version (which is when other retailers receive the product) would have been very frustrating.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Aug 17 2014, 5:21pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2014, 5:31pm

Post #8 of 16 (369 views)
Shortcut
No way i'm going to Wal-mart. [In reply to] Can't Post

And this exclusivity deal, if it is indeed real, as it seems to be, makes me despise them even more. I would rather not wait, but i gladly will rather than give my money to that particular corporation.

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 17 2014, 5:40pm

Post #9 of 16 (381 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand what everyone's problem with Walmart is. [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't matter to me though. I'm getting the Blu-ray. You couldn't pay me to watch DVDs anymore.

Our destiny lies above us.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 17 2014, 6:14pm

Post #10 of 16 (363 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Walmart is a sleazy corporation (especially to its employees), but it's only a DVD, and I kind of laugh that someone would hate the store that much to avoid even buying a DVD there. I buy my Blu-rays there a lot (I go up at midnight and get it as they usually have them out or they go in the back and get them for me). But yeah, I'm getting the Blu-ray, so the DVD nonsense doesn't phase me. Could never go back to DVD either. Blu-ray is just so much better, and gets much better bonuses most of the time as well.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2014, 7:46pm

Post #11 of 16 (334 views)
Shortcut
It's called voting with your dollars. [In reply to] Can't Post

And i use it to support companies that are good corporate citizens. I agree, it isn't much, but it is something. There are a handful of companies that i simply will not support, and Wal-Mart is one of them.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 7:48pm

Post #12 of 16 (333 views)
Shortcut
It is about principles. [In reply to] Can't Post

Different people make different decisions. The decision not to buy at a store you dislike for its employment practices or other issues is hardly a thing to laugh at.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 7:51pm

Post #13 of 16 (335 views)
Shortcut
Do you buy from Amazon? [In reply to] Can't Post

They probably have the worst employment practices of any corporation in America. I don't like Walmart either, but it is hard to differentiate too much. They are all evil.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2014, 7:59pm

Post #14 of 16 (327 views)
Shortcut
I stopped using Amazon [In reply to] Can't Post

since they started trying to strong-arm authors out of what they deserve, and other recent developments. And that was a tough one, as i'd used Amazon for years, and really loved their service. Besides, i need to get out more and support the smaller retailers in the area, especially the last local record/video store that's still hanging in there.

And i couldn't disagree more-- they are not all evil. There are some good companies out there.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 8:10pm

Post #15 of 16 (314 views)
Shortcut
Wholeheartedly agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the kind of approach I try to take as well.

Not always easy, but worth it in the long run.

:)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 8:12pm

Post #16 of 16 (336 views)
Shortcut
True enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I overspoke.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.