Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part IX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

VValar
Gondor

Aug 15 2014, 11:28pm

Post #151 of 222 (5059 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks for the threads [In reply to]  

Hadn't seen them just yet. Too bad discussion seems already over in the 2nd thread. Love to read more background stories about Thranduil/Oropher or Elves in general.
Speaking of which, I found an amazing blog discussing the possibilty whether Tranduil and Celeborn are related. The author really digs deep into Tolkien literature and comes with plausible explanations and/or assumptions why they would be considered relatives. So if anyone is interested in reading this kind of stuff, here it is: http://kiryatanmeres.blogspot.nl/ Smile

VValar
Gondor

Aug 15 2014, 11:45pm

Post #152 of 222 (5076 views)
Shortcut
     LOL yes yes, we understand! [In reply to]  

We understand, and totaly empathise with your feelings Heart
Though Thorin doesn't quite do the trick for me as Thranduil does, for a Dwarf I think he is considered very goodlooking, is he not? At least the best looking Dwarf of the bunch IMO (waaaaay better dan Kili).
You've probably already seen every photo there is on the net on him, but still I like his eyes in this one (see that other Dwarf looking jealeous at Thorin, wishing he had such majestic umph)

Though, helloooo intens eyes

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 15 2014, 11:58pm

Post #153 of 222 (5080 views)
Shortcut
     *Ahem* well OK - the search goes on [In reply to]  

BECAUSE I AM PROCRASTINATING. Again.

“We figured “The way the character is designed—he’s beautiful, he’s exquisite,” Pace says. ”He’s ethereal, but also unforgiving and cold, which we figured out before I even shot a scene. We would do the costume fittings and I would be like, ‘Yeah, he takes up a lot of space this guy. He belongs on a throne.’”

No idea where this quote is from?????

No idea where this armour design is from.

Links:
Cold light
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/395613148490192841/

Thranduil green screen
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/395613148489503461/

Scar
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/395613148489463108/

Armor
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/395613148489229891/

Beige:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/419327415276690196/

And funny!!! But too big to post......
HP
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/568790627910702913/

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Aug 16 2014, 12:00am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 16 2014, 12:37am

Post #154 of 222 (5058 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks VValar! NEED the UNDERSTANDING *grins* [In reply to]  

Because LOL medical science is baffled Wink. But considering even poor Richard Armitage can't even go to promote his current film without the audience calling out "Thorin" and the press sneaks in BOFA/Thorin questions when they are supposed to be asking about other projects, I feel completely comfortable in my besottedness. Coz evidently a lot of other folks feel exactly the same way.Cool

Just like a lot of other folks are fascinated as I am with these TWO kings, and are constantly throwing them together (I mean in a psychological sense, not the icky stuff!!!Shocked). And it IS fascinating - both GORGEOUS (I'm running out of superlatives) and both with not dissimilar experiences, but so far apart.

Though Thorin doesn't quite do the trick for me as Thranduil does, for a Dwarf I think he is considered very goodlooking, is he not? At least the best looking Dwarf of the bunch IMO (waaaaay better dan Kili).

Thorin, to me anyway, is just, just, - well, the first time I ever saw PJ's vision, it was jaw-dropping. As someone else posted once, "absurdly masculine." And someone else (wish I had said this) at his best, "Thorin is a complex, wildly charismatic figure..." That was before DOS, because I'd also describe Thranduil that way as well. Tho annoyingly so far as we all know on this thread, there has NOT been enough Thranduil and the EE and BOFA need to make up for that, big time.Mad

I do think Kili and Fili are stunning in their own right - but, well, Thorin ripped my heart out and then Thranduil came along. These two are MEN *cough* so to speak.Wink And it's lovely that the Thranduil Thralls are empathetic, because I'm going to be a sobbing, hysterical wreck clinging pathetically to Thranduil's robes, and Thranduil will have to change me into a bird or something - a thrush? - so I can stay with my king forever *sob*WinkWinkCool Maybe a statue like that Greek myth that cries forever *grins*.Wink Or maybe Thranduil could just hook me up with some of those Mirkwood sporesCool and some elvish wine.

PS. I actually haven't seen every picture of Thorin because these artists and Photoshoppers churn stuff out - never know what you will find like this one! Tho for a second *cough* I thought Gandalf looked like POTC's Captain BarbossaUnsure probably should have left more of the hat or not used so much black LOL.

PS2. Love that Thranduil pic - downloaded!!!!Heart And yes, please post interesting ME history links, because a lot of us are readers and curious about the back stories!

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Aug 16 2014, 12:41am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 2:39am

Post #155 of 222 (5065 views)
Shortcut
     I am loving these old posts links! [In reply to]  

I read your Casting News link (#post 108 here) with fascination - people not knowing who Lee Pace was, wondering if he could pull off an Elf with gravitas, and especially if he could look older than Orly who is two years older.

I wondered what the response would be to his appearance in AUJ and if I could find the thread, but you already did! (on the post replied to here).

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 16 2014, 2:40am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 2:52am

Post #156 of 222 (5047 views)
Shortcut
     Your image, Avandel, that I am replying to... [In reply to]  

(sorry all, I seldom repost pics when Photobucket is moving like sludge, making uploading and hosting somewhat tedious....)

I am loving this picture on so many levels.Heart
The suspicious / irritated glance.... the caption, so loaded you can just hear the tone of voice.... and the *cough* hint of pectoral muscle. Very decent of the artist to throw that in. WinkHeart

And as for this:

But wolfanita has done this lovely but sad image of Thor telling Dis and Frerin tales after the fall of Erebor ("I dreamt of Erebor"):

... if I were fast and highly skilled, I'd so be poking fun at your typo by 'shopping the God of Thunder into place TongueSly

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 2:56am

Post #157 of 222 (5033 views)
Shortcut
     Like me. [In reply to]  

I promise I won't spoil anything for the poor souls not living in either one of the countries where BotFA premiers on december 10th!

With the Australian release on Dec 26th, you just won't see me around here for over 2 weeks. It'll be a lonely time for me, to be away from my online 'home'. Peeps with only one week should not be complaining, srsly. Unsure

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 3:04am

Post #158 of 222 (5040 views)
Shortcut
     And oh... [In reply to]  

Because LOL medical science is baffled Wink. But considering even poor Richard Armitage can't even go to promote his current film without the audience calling out "Thorin" and the press sneaks in BOFA/Thorin questions when they are supposed to be asking about other projects, I feel completely comfortable in my besottedness. Coz evidently a lot of other folks feel exactly the same way

I experienced a little Thorin-thralldom recently when I learnt that RA stayed in character while onset, never relaxing the Thorin-persona, and never sitting down, so that he could maintain the intensity.Shocked

Also, that RA had sacrificed a sure-thing acting job – that is, returning to ‘Strike Back’ – in order to commit to The Hobbit when it hadn’t been 100% green lit. And in doing so, he inspired other actors to commit to the journey, paralleling the commitment of the dwarves to follow him.Smile

All very Heart inspiring.

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 16 2014, 3:05am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 16 2014, 3:16am

Post #159 of 222 (5051 views)
Shortcut
     *Laughs* I know, "Thor" [In reply to]  

Hey Kerewyn!

That's not the first spell glitch I've made, including the "bassery" re the where-is-the-BOFA-banner thread. A lot of time tho I've searched and downloaded and resized so much I'm just getting tired by the time I type a thread upUnsure.

By the time I noticed that one, all I could think of was Chris Hemsworth!

Glad folks like the image *cough* tasteful, but the kind of ALL MUSCLE we would expect of the Elven King and pretty much what Lee Pace has in real life anyway HeartHeartHeart

HCF isn't shy about that *grins*.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 16 2014, 3:35am

Post #160 of 222 (5058 views)
Shortcut
     They even talk about that in the first WETA books! [In reply to]  

RA stayed in character while onset, never relaxing the Thorin-persona, and never sitting down, so that he could maintain the intensity.Shocked

RA has been described as easy-going, and PJ had commented on RA being this "unassuming guy" but that he would completely change as Thorin. That he even walked differently. And RA said during the filming that "Thorin was never far away" and he even would have dreams AS Thorin.

From what I can understand from articles RA is a very committed actor anyway, but personally believe that PJ got more than he ever dreamed when he hired RA - someone who would utilize a "voice that could command an army", the musical theater and classical training, and the complete and utter commitment. There's no way to know but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that even tho Thorin was a lead character, that the part was expanded when they understood what was coming through the camera lens. I know they actually began writing FOR RA's Thorin, as opposed to just writing a script.

Which is actually why I have my fingers crossed for more Thranduil. Re the now-famous Misty Mountains, RA has said they didn't know how good it would be, in the end. And I think there's no way to know how compelling Thranduil would be, how charismatic, or how compelling Thorin/Thranduil are, until you film it. But PJ knows NOW, so I am hoping he tweaks things so there is LOTS of Thranduil time.Unsure

I don't worry about Thorin-time because he's a pivotal lead and RA has made his mark. But I'll be pretty upset if there isn't LOTS of Thranduil time - and elven king that has stepped from my books and is more than I ever imaginedHeart, like Thorin.

LOL RA has a legion of expanding fans - the "Armitage Army" and one of the reasons he is so well thought of is everything you have described. Another thing that impresses me is that evidently he has been supporting a few favorite charities from quite early on in his acting career. I'm even impressed he has lately opted to move to the U.S. for a while, and of course RA is a WELCOME addition to our melting pot.CoolTongue

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 3:44am

Post #161 of 222 (5029 views)
Shortcut
     Ahh... [In reply to]  

HCF isn't shy about that *grins*.

..there is so much to look forward to! Perhaps *light bulb moment* obtaining a copy of the series will tide me through my 16 December days offline. Angelic

Just trialling my new avatar....

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 4:03am

Post #162 of 222 (5044 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, the WETA book is where I got it from :) [In reply to]  

I've had Chronicles 2 for a while, and have pored over the photos many a time, but now am reading the text from cover to cover to ensure I don't miss a single thing . It's so great to still be learning stuff about the dwarves' acting, makeup process etc, when I thought I'd absorbed everything. Heart

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 16 2014, 4:03am

Post #163 of 222 (5041 views)
Shortcut
     *Gloomily* it's worse than that [In reply to]  

I am not sure how long I cut myself off from TORN before DOS, but due to insiders blabbing, the press, sneak peeks, etc. it felt like a couple of weeks. It was weird before DOS. And not just the Hobbit board, but I avoided a lot of main news sites because even the titles of articles have spoilers. No movie sites of any kind. FrownFrownFrown

Not sure what I will do this time around.Unsure

Tho in the end, I was glad for what I did, because DOS wasn't ruined for me.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 16 2014, 4:06am

Post #164 of 222 (5041 views)
Shortcut
     SQUEEE just noticed your new avvie [In reply to]  

Sorry it is late here and I am tired! But ROFLOL that avvie is completely incredible. And so true!

Yes, please let DF know when appropriate that many of us LUXURIATE in the WETA books! And they really enhance the viewing experience!HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 4:19am

Post #165 of 222 (5254 views)
Shortcut
     Screencaps [In reply to]  

Trawling through the DoS screencap library is fun. You can observe small details that might pass by too quickly when moving.

For instance.... another smaller orchid in Thranduil's chambers...

The moment when Thorin's feet are hoisted off the ground by security...

And a mid-verbal facial expression.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 4:25am

Post #166 of 222 (5035 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, it's titles of reviews online and in press [In reply to]  

that I'll be avoiding.

My mantra will be "I am patient... I can wait."
And I can, it's just avoidance that will be hard.
In particular, I'll have to have words with a work colleague who may have no qualms in reading reviews and wanting to chat about them with me, especially re Tauriel's fate (if it is mentioned in review) as said person does not like her.

Smile Thank you re avatar! It was high time I moved on from Gondor. Wink

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 16 2014, 4:26am)

Willow353
The Shire

Aug 16 2014, 5:45am

Post #167 of 222 (5033 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the welcome, Lurker in the Mirk :)

I've been meaning to post on one of these Thranduil Appreciation Threads for a while (is this really number 9 already?), but I wasn't sure what I could contribute. Instead, I've been sitting back enjoying reading what others have to say, and admiring all the pictures. :)

Willow353
The Shire

Aug 16 2014, 7:09am

Post #168 of 222 (5036 views)
Shortcut
     You're welcome :) [In reply to]  

I'm happy to help :)

I do hope they show his kinder side. So far, to those who haven't read the book, I suppose Thranduil does seem rather- would aloof be the right word? My sister doesn't like him much (she loves Legolas though). I tried explaining why Thranduil is isolating himself but I'm not very good at explaining things...

I'm hoping they show Thranduil and Bilbo's interactions too.
*Possible Spoilers*
Bilbo needs to give the Arkenstone to Bard and Thranduil, after all. And I don't see why Thranduil wouldn't try to keep Bilbo safe, as he knows Thorin is likely to get very, very angry once he finds out what Bilbo has done. Thranduil already knows what the Arkenstone means to Thorin "It is precious to you beyond measure."

I'm just curious how they're going to show Thranduil's change from "Other lands are not my concern", to coming to help and fight.

Sorry if all of the above has been said already Evil

There are so many excellent pictures online, and so many talented artists on deviantArt! I'm afraid I'm still confused as to how to add a picture onto a post, or how to resize so I can attach it? Sorry, I'm still rather new to posting...

(This post was edited by Willow353 on Aug 16 2014, 7:17am)

VValar
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 10:33am

Post #169 of 222 (5448 views)
Shortcut
     Amazing fanart! [In reply to]  

Don't know where the quote is from, but keep em coming if you find more Wink

Absolutely love LOVE this piece of fanart. Wauw even with half his face gone into dragon memory, he still looks fierce.

I found this sweet image of Thorin, life as an uncle ain't easy

And this one made me laugh real hard, kindof reminded me of a crossover from The Lion King (too big to post).
http://fc05.deviantart.net/...avampire-d5lifja.jpg

(This post was edited by VValar on Aug 16 2014, 10:35am)

VValar
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 10:51am

Post #170 of 222 (5007 views)
Shortcut
     Ha yes Gandalf indeed looks a bit like Barbossa [In reply to]  

I think PJ and his team did an amazing job with the casting. Though I didn't know these two actors before TH came out, I believe both LP and RA are born for these roles. I believe every single word they say, and truthfully can't wait for Thorin to completely lose it in the BotFA. That will be an interesting sight, I'm looking forward of RA's portrayal of 'mad' Thorin. We already got a sneak peek of that in the teaser.

Yes I do think 'complex, wildly charismatic figure..' is a good description of both Thorin and ThranduilHeart Though I find Thranduil more enigmatic and cunning, that probably comes from the fact that he's an (reasonably old) Elf, whereas Thorin can be quite blunt at times and would be wise to reconsider some of his words or actions before he acts out on them. But then again, maybe that is the general character of Dwarves? Blunt, earthy and quick to act out their beliefs?

VValar
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 10:54am

Post #171 of 222 (4995 views)
Shortcut
     Poor soul [In reply to]  

In Reply To

I promise I won't spoil anything for the poor souls not living in either one of the countries where BotFA premiers on december 10th!

With the Australian release on Dec 26th, you just won't see me around here for over 2 weeks. It'll be a lonely time for me, to be away from my online 'home'. Peeps with only one week should not be complaining, srsly. Unsure

What to do with your time until then?
You could always consider planning a trip to the US or any of the European countries around the time of the premiere. Would you happen to have any friends/relatives living there? Tongue

VValar
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 10:56am

Post #172 of 222 (5007 views)
Shortcut
     *Jumps up and down* [In reply to]  

Hadn't seen this pic just yet, many thanks Heart

Really like your avatar as well!

(This post was edited by VValar on Aug 16 2014, 10:57am)

VValar
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 11:04am

Post #173 of 222 (5007 views)
Shortcut
     Hellooow fellow newbe [In reply to]  

Glad you joined and unmade me the only newbe to pop by Smile
Maybe you should let your sister read some of the explanations regarding the character of Thranduil that are written on this forum. Very insightful, and who knows she might just warm up for dad as well?

Emm I'm sure there is a faster way, but I use (without the space) to post a pic. I think the more older (and wiser) posters can help you and I both with a more convenient way of posting photo's.

'I'm just curious how they're going to show Thranduil's change from "Other lands are not my concern", to coming to help and fight.' Yes me too! I hope there will be some interaction between Thranduil en Legolas that opens his eyes to ride out for war. Or maybe he'll try to find his son (since at the end of DOS, he has no idea where Legolas is hanging out)?

(This post was edited by VValar on Aug 16 2014, 11:05am)

Kim
Valinor

Aug 16 2014, 5:30pm

Post #174 of 222 (4958 views)
Shortcut
     Awww, that's such a cute pic of Thorin [In reply to]  

I love the artwork like this with Kili and Fili as young dwarves with Uncle Thorin - haven't seen this one before. Thanks for sharing. Evil

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Kim
Valinor

Aug 16 2014, 5:39pm

Post #175 of 222 (4950 views)
Shortcut
     Posting Pics [In reply to]  

There's some basic info in the FAQs (starting with #2.20)
http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed;

Magpie has put together a detailed TORn Image posting guide
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...tingImages/index.htm

I found these really helpful when I was first learning how to resize pics and post them here - you might have to play around a bit depending on your browser, but if you are properly motivated (ie you have a pic of Thorin or Thranduil to post), you'll be amazed at how fast you'll learn!

Smile

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.