The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Physics and Balrog whips

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 14 2014, 6:32pm

Post #1 of 7 (125 views)
Shortcut
Physics and Balrog whips Can't Post

I don't pretend to actually understand this, but it's very cool nonetheless.Smile

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/lotr-physics/

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 14 2014, 8:50pm

Post #2 of 7 (84 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that aspect of the whip coming back up after [In reply to] Can't Post

the Balrog has fallen away a significant distance always
seems a stretch. But, who is to say his whip is not
without certain non physical qualities? Maybe he can extend it as part of his innate power.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 14 2014, 9:07pm

Post #3 of 7 (76 views)
Shortcut
That's my opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, he is a sort of a Maia, and should by nature have power outside the realm of physics (and I'm wondering if the impossibility of it is what makes it look so cool . . .Smile)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 14 2014, 10:10pm

Post #4 of 7 (70 views)
Shortcut
If you go an read that section 'The Bridge of Khazad Dum" [In reply to] Can't Post

you will see that Gandalf's staff breaks when he smote the bridge (implying the power through it was too great).
The Balrog falls, but as he is falling, his great whip curls
at Gandalf's knees, fell, grasped "vainly" at the stone and fell into the chasm...saying "Fly, you fools!"

In the book, the time is not as great as in the movie for the whip to have struck Gandalf.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 14 2014, 10:19pm

Post #5 of 7 (76 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie's timing was for the visual effect. Not necessary in a literary description.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Aug 18 2014, 11:59am

Post #6 of 7 (45 views)
Shortcut
Why our numbers differ somewhat [In reply to] Can't Post

As many of you may know, I did a similar physical analysis some months ago (see the Front Page for a link). Professor Allain estimates a shorter falling distance because he did not try to calculate the mass and area of the Balrog; he simply assumed that the Balrog would fall as a human. Given the enormous size of the Balrog I would consider my analysis to be more accurate...that is, if there really were such things as Balrogs!

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2014, 2:34am

Post #7 of 7 (37 views)
Shortcut
What!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't believe in the Cosmology? Shocked For shame, for shame!! Angelic Tongue

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.