grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 12 2014, 12:51pm

Post #1 of 43 (547 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 12 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo continues secretly making plans to leave Hobbiton.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...The summer seemed to be slipping away, and Frodo was keenly aware of every moment. Most of the decisions had been made of what would be taken to Crickhollow to keep the illusion that his plan to move was not gossip afterall. He was leaving, and he found himself mourning these last days at Bag End and his life in Hobbiton. Where was Gandalf?
...Frodo secretly began to wonder if he should wait for his return on the chance his long absence meant a change in their plan. But things were in motion and could not be altered without raising questions, so he pressed on as he kept watch for the wizard on the road.
...Frodo also wondered what Sam was telling his gaffer, if anything, about going away. Each time Frodo asked him what he was doing to prepare for the move, Sam would just nod his head to one side and shrug his shoulders. "I'm going to make sure my gaffer understands my plans, Mr. Frodo. Don't you go worriting yourself about me. You have enough to do. I'll be ready!"

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 12 2014, 10:01pm

Post #2 of 43 (428 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love these posts. Really brings back the story.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 13 2014, 11:55am

Post #3 of 43 (427 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 13, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The guests take leave of King Éomer.
(from the appendices)
..."When the feast was over, those who were to go took leave of King Éomer. Aragorn and his knights, and the people of Lórien and of Rivendell, made ready to ride; but Faramir and Imrahil remained at Edoras; and Arwen Evenstar... ...and she said farewell to her brethren. None saw her last meeting with Elrond her father, for they went up into the hills and there spoke long together, and bitter was their parting that should endure beyond the ends of the world."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 9:19pm

Post #4 of 43 (412 views)
Shortcut
The partings... [In reply to] Can't Post

None saw her last meeting with Elrond her father, for they went up into the hills and there spoke long together, and bitter was their parting that should endure beyond the ends of the world.

O, don’t you just yearn for some dialogue here?

And the parting of Aragorn and Elrond a few days from now had to be a mixture of emotions:

”You have received the Fairest to grace the Night, my lord Elessar. You treat her with great righteousness or I’ll come back and kick your butt!”

“Uva uvam vivendo varia fit."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 14 2014, 11:18pm

Post #5 of 43 (396 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

August 14, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. More guests take leave of Edoras.
(not from the appendices)
..."At the last before the guests set out, Éomer and Éowyn came to Merry... '...Farewell now, Meriadoc of the Shire and Holdwine of the Mark! Ride to good fortune, and ride back soon to our welcome!'
...And Éomer said: 'Kings of old would have laden you with gifts that a wain could not bear for your deeds upon the fields of Mundburg; and yet you will take naught... ...but the arms that were given to you. This I suffer, for indeed I have no gift that is worthy; but my sister begs you to receive this small thing, as a memorial of Dernhelm and of the horns of the Mark at the coming of the morning.'
...Then Éowyn gave to Merry an ancient horn, small but cunningly wrought all of fair silver with a baldric of green; and wrights had engraven upon it swift horsemen riding in a line that wound about it from the tip to the mouth; and there were set runes of great virtue.
...'This is an heirloom of our house... ...made by the Dwarves, and came from the hoard of Scatha the Worm. Eorl the Young brought it from the North. He that blows it at need shall set fear in the hearts of his enemies and joy in the hearts of his friends, and they shall hear him and come to him.'
...Then Merry took the horn, for it could not be refused, and he kissed Éowyn's hand; and they embraced him, and so they parted for that time."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 14 2014, 11:21pm

Post #6 of 43 (389 views)
Shortcut
Elrond has lost so much [In reply to] Can't Post

and saying farewell to his daughter and his step-son and all he knows is such a reflection of the loss of the Elves. I can't imagine what it would be like to never see my children or grandchildren again.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 15 2014, 12:05am

Post #7 of 43 (398 views)
Shortcut
Agreed Gramma and . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

apologies are in order for my being somewhat insensitive with my last line. Just an unthinking spur of the moment thought.

Better would have been:
”As foresworn you have received the Fairest to grace the Night, my lord Elessar. And I know, my son, she will deservedly be treated with grace and dignity these few short years remaining between you."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2014, 5:53pm

Post #8 of 43 (379 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 15, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Treebeard releases Saruman and Gríma.
..."'I let him go. There was little left of him when he crawled out, and as for that worm-creature of his, he was like a pale shadow. Now do not tell me, Gandalf, that I promised to keep him safe; for I know it. But things have changed since then. And I kept him until he was... ...safe from doing any more harm. You should know that above all I hate the caging of live things, and I will not keep even such creatures as these caged beyond great need. A snake without fangs may crawl where he will.'
...'You may be right,' said Gandalf; 'but this snake had still one tooth left... ...the poison of his voice, and I guess that he persuaded you, even you Treebeard, knowing the soft spot in your heart. Well, he is gone, and there is no more to be said. But the Tower of Orthanc now goes back to the King… …Though maybe he will not need it.'
...'That will be seen later,' said Aragorn. 'But I will give to Ents all this valley to do with as they will, so long as they keep a watch upon Orthanc and see that none enter it without my leave.'
...'It is locked,' said Treebeard. 'I made Saruman lock it and give me the keys. Quickbeam has them.'
...Quickbeam bowed like a tree bending in the wind and handed to Aragorn two great black keys of intricate shape, joined by a ring of steel. 'Now I thank you once more,' said Aragorn … ….May your forest grow in peace. When this valley is filled there is room and to spare west of the mountains, where once you walked long ago.'
...Treebeard's face became sad. 'Forests may grow old... ...Woods may spread. But not Ents. There are no Entings.'
...'Yet maybe there is now more hope in your search,' said Aragorn. 'Lands will lie open to you eastward that have long been closed.'
...But Treebeard shook his head and said: 'It is far to go. And there are too many Men there in these days. But I am forgetting my manners! Will you stay here and rest a while? And maybe there are some that would be pleased to pass through Fangorn Forest and so shorten their road home?' He looked at Celeborn and Galadriel...
......all save Legolas said that they must now take their leave and depart either south or west. 'Come, Gimli!' said Legolas. 'Now by Fangorn's leave I will visit the deep places of the Entwood and see such trees as are nowhere else to be found in Middle-earth. You shall come with me and keep your word; and thus we will journey on together to our own lands in Mirkwood and beyond.' To this Gimli agreed….
...'...Here then at last comes the ending of the Fellowship of the Ring,' said Aragorn. 'Yet I hope that ere long you will return to my land with the help that you promised.'
...'We will come, if our own lords allow it,' said Gimli. 'Well, farewell, my hobbits! You should come safe to your own homes now, and I shall not be kept awake for fear of your peril. We will send word when we may... ...some of us may yet meet at times; but I fear that we shall not all be gathered together ever again.'

...Then Treebeard said farewell to each of them in turn, and he bowed three times slowly and with great reverence to Celeborn and Galadriel. 'It is long, long since we met by stock or by stone, A vanimar, vanimálion nostari,' he said. 'It is sad that we should meet only thus at the ending. For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air. I do not think we shall meet again….'
......Galadriel said: 'Not in Middle-earth, or until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again. Then in the willow-meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the Spring. Farewell!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 15 2014, 6:04pm

Post #9 of 43 (375 views)
Shortcut
Ohh... no worries! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't take it that way AT ALL!!! I would have loved to see what Philippa and Fran would come up with. You KNOW it would be beautiful and poignant! Something that would have been a great parallel to their discussion at Rivendell just before he sent her away to the Havens.

Like... I really wanted to hear that discussion between Faramir and Gandalf about Faramir's visit with Frodo and Sam!!!

:D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16 2014, 1:52am

Post #10 of 43 (375 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel's final words here [In reply to] Can't Post

always send a chill up my spine - not a chill of terror, but of foreboding, and grief for that which passed long ago, and of longing for an eons-hence restoration...

Do you know, this is the only place in the book where they are actually called the "Fellowship of the Ring"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 16 2014, 2:33am

Post #11 of 43 (370 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

a very powerful poignant statement by Galadriel, but , to me, not necessarily of foreboding and grief, but a statement of hope and possibilities. A statement of the mysterious unknown and unknowable, that rings with the usual sorrow of parting from loved-ones.

Thanks for that bit of trivia about the Fellowship. I love it!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 16 2014, 12:53pm

Post #12 of 43 (366 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 16, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Company reaches the Enchanted River.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
pg 144-146
..."...they found their path blocked by a running water. It flowed fast and strong but not very wide right across the way, and it was black, or looked it in the gloom. It was well that Beorn had warned them against it, or they would have drunk from it... ...and filled some of their emptied skins at its bank. As it was they only thought of how to cross it without wetting themselves in its water. There had been a bridge of wood across, but it had rotted and fallen leaving only the broken posts near the bank.
...Bilbo kneeling on the brink and peering forward cried: "There is a boat against the far bank! Now why couldn't it have been this side!"

..."...Fili picked up the hook when he had drawn it back, rather doubtfully all the same. This time he threw it with greater strength.
..."Steady!" said Bilbo, "you have thrown it right into the wood on the other side now. Draw it back gently." Fili hauled the rope back slowly, and after a while Bilbo said: "Carefully! It is lying on the boat; let's hope the hook will catch."
...It did. The rope went taut, and Fili pulled in vain. Kili came to his help, and then Óin and Glóin. They tugged and tugged, and suddenly they all fell over on their backs. Bilbo was on the lookout... ...caught the rope, and with a piece of stick fended off the little black boat as it came rushing across the stream. "Help!" he shouted, and Balin was just in time to seize the boat before it floated off down the current.
..."It was tied after all," said he… …"That was a good pull, my lads; and a good job that our rope was the stronger..."
......they were all soon on the far bank safe across the enchanted stream. Dwalin had just scrambled out with the coiled rope on his arm, and Bombur (still grumbling) was getting ready to follow, when something bad did happen. There was a flying sound of hooves on the path ahead. Out of the gloom came suddenly the shape of a flying deer. It charged into the dwarves and bowled them over… …High it sprang and cleared the water with a mighty jump. But it did not reach the other side in safety. Thorin was the only one who had kept his feet and his wits. As soon as they had landed he had bent his bow and fitted an arrow in case any hidden guardian of the boat appeared. Now he sent a swift and sure shot into the leaping beast. As it reached the further bank it stumbled. The shadows swallowed it up, but they heard the sound of hooves quickly falter and then go still.
...Before they could shout in praise of the shot... ...a dreadful wail from Bilbo put all thoughts of venison out of their minds. "Bombur has fallen in! Bombur is drowning!" he cried. It was only too true. Bombur had only one foot on the land when the hart bore down on him, and sprang over him. He had stumbled, thrusting the boat away from the bank, and then toppled back into the dark water….
......They could still see his hood above the water when they ran to the bank. Quickly they flung a rope with a hook towards him. His hand caught it, and they pulled him to the shore. He was drenched from hair to boots... ...When they laid him on the bank he was already fast asleep, with one hand clutching the rope so tight that they could not get it from his grasp; and fast asleep he remained in spite of all they could do."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 16 2014, 1:31pm

Post #13 of 43 (359 views)
Shortcut
The only time?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never stopped to notice that! Wow...

And this part affects me the same way. I get teary and so sad. It's so beautifully written and expressed... *sigh*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 3:42am

Post #14 of 43 (350 views)
Shortcut
More trivia for Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

The Company reaches the Enchanted River.

I have mentioned this before but I don't recall where.

It is never called the Enchanted River in the text. Only on CJRT's map is it labeled as "Enchanted R."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2014, 6:17pm

Post #15 of 43 (353 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 17, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. But what of Gandalf?
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."After Gandalf had departed from Bilbo and the Dwarves, he "had been to a great council of the white wizards, masters of lore and good magic; and that they had at last driven the Necromancer from his dark hold in the south of Mirkwood."
...[Gandalf] "'When did I first begin to guess?' he mused, searching back in memory... '...it was in the year that the White Council drove the dark power from Mirkwood, just before the Battle of Five Armies, that Bilbo found his ring. A shadow fell on my heart then,…'"
...[Galadriel] "'I it was who first summoned the White Council. And if my designs had not gone amiss, it would have been governed by Gandalf the grey, and then mayhap things would be gone otherwise.'"
...[Treebeard] '"He was very quiet to begin with, but his fame began to grow. He was chosen to be the head of the White Council, they say; but that did not turn out too well. I wonder now if even then Saruman was not turning to evil ways. But at any rate he used to give no trouble to his neighbours.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2014, 6:19pm

Post #16 of 43 (350 views)
Shortcut
*geeky handclapping* I love these :) THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18 2014, 11:29am

Post #17 of 43 (346 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 18, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. On the Mirkwood Forest Trail (day 23).
..."...they were burdened with the heavy body of Bombur, which they had to carry along with them as best they could, taking the wearisome task in turns of four each while the others shared their packs. If these had not become all too light in the last few days, they would never have managed it; but a slumbering and smiling Bombur was a poor exchange for packs filled with food however heavy… …time came when there was practically nothing left to eat or to drink. Nothing wholesome could they see growing in the woods, only funguses and herbs with pale leaves and unpleasant smell."

August 18, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo announces his plans to leave Hobbiton
..."One summer's evening an astonishing piece of news reached the Ivy Bush and Green Dragon. Giants and other portents on the borders of the Shire were forgotten for more important matters: Mr. Frodo was selling Bag End, indeed he had already sold it—to the Sackville-Bagginses!
...'For a nice bit, too,' said some. 'At a bargain price,' said others, 'and that's more likely when Mistress Lobelia's the buyer….'
...…Just why Mr. Frodo was selling his beautiful hole was even more debatable than the price. A few held the theory—supported by the nods and hints of Mr. Baggins himself—that Frodo's money was running out: he was going to leave Hobbiton and live in a quiet way on the proceeds of the sale down in Buckland among his Brandybuck relations. 'As far from the Sackville-Bagginses as may be,' some added."

August 18, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They come to Helms Deep.
(from the appendices)
..."Now the guests were ready, and they drank the stirrup-cup, and with great praise and friendship they departed (from Edoras), and came at length to Helm's Deep… …Then Legolas repaid his promise to Gimli and went with him to the Glittering Caves; and when they returned he was silent, and would say only that Gimli alone could find fit words to speak of them. 'And never before has a Dwarf claimed a victory over an Elf in a contest of words,' said he. 'Now therefore, let us to go Fangorn and set the score right!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 18 2014, 11:31am)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 12:04pm

Post #18 of 43 (335 views)
Shortcut
More geekyness for Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

."...they were burdened with the heavy body of Bombur, which they had to carry along with them as best they could...

Did you know that the footware of the Dwarves (Dwarf boots) is never mentioned in The Hobbit?

Only in LOTR are Dwarf boots mentioned. Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 18 2014, 1:49pm

Post #19 of 43 (332 views)
Shortcut
But it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, kind of.

They could still see [Bombur's] hood above the water when they ran to the bank. Quickly they flung a rope with a hook towards him. His hand caught it, and they pulled him to the shore. He was drenched from hair to boots, of course, but that was not the worst.

AngelicEvilTongue

“As he caught his footing, his head fell back, and the Milky Way flowed down inside him with a roar.” - Yasunari Kawabata, Snow Country

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 6:08pm

Post #20 of 43 (325 views)
Shortcut
Uh Oh, The Wily Fox strikes again.. [In reply to] Can't Post

However did you find that?

Hey Gramma . . . .-- NEVERMIND!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 18 2014, 6:22pm

Post #21 of 43 (326 views)
Shortcut
I see another reference too ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Their spirits had risen a little at the discovery of the path, but now they sank into their boots; and yet they would not give it up and go away.

- On The Doorstep

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 18 2014, 6:33pm

Post #22 of 43 (318 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did just finish rereading The Hobbit. Tongue

“As he caught his footing, his head fell back, and the Milky Way flowed down inside him with a roar.” - Yasunari Kawabata, Snow Country

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 9:02pm

Post #23 of 43 (314 views)
Shortcut
** BG is red-faced with discombobulation ** "NEXT!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Where O where did he get that no boots idea ?? CrazyCrazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 18 2014, 9:37pm

Post #24 of 43 (313 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's boots? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps you're thinking of there being no mention in the text of Bilbo acquiring boots in Rivendell? It's not until the prologue in FOTR that we learn that Hobbit's don't need shoes.

Could that be it?

Smile

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 11:44pm

Post #25 of 43 (319 views)
Shortcut
Naw, thanks for the possible out... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I was thinking Dwarves all the time...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.