The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Edit request on Thranduil Appreciation IX OP in the Hobbit board ... again
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 10:04am

Post #1 of 28 (589 views)
Shortcut
Edit request on Thranduil Appreciation IX OP in the Hobbit board ... again Can't Post

Sorry for troubling you again so soon, dear Mods. But there are necessaryTongue changes to the lexicon that must be instituted forthwith, and I'm taking the opportunity to polish it a bit. Might as well, right? Thanks!

So in the post (link here), please replace the "Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon" section with the following chunk.

• Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • LA: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2008/2009 TV series.
  • Peckish Thrall: Avandel's TA humour panels ala Peckish Owl (So this is new, sue me. I'm just pre-emptively perpetuating something that's an eventuality Angelic)
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend"
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are posts that have that literary bent expected of . Some even hints at working bran-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occassionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know his name, google is your mellon)
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 posts, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over 200 postcount. See also "Threadlock"
  • TW: Thrall Wars. An ongoing bit of silliness in the Fan Art board ribbing everything in and about the Thralldoms of Thranduil and that disagreeable dwarf (see "T&T"). Only one thing is sure: nothing and no one is safe Evil Think of it as vicarious authorly pretensions in miniature ping-pong mode, usually between Avandel and yours truly... Morphing into a 3-player mahjong game with Kerewyn dipping her toes inHeart
  • Woodland Weekend: Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas and *cough*some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!"

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn(new, posted 10 August), Four

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2014, 10:15am

Post #2 of 28 (504 views)
Shortcut
Could you clarify [In reply to] Can't Post

a couple of these sections, first, please?

Need to check the spelling and possible missing words here:

"TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are posts that have that literary bent expected of . Some even hints at working bran-matter in the poster."

Two d's?

"Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know his name, google is your mellon)"

Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 11:21am

Post #3 of 28 (495 views)
Shortcut
D'oh *facepalm* [In reply to] Can't Post

Corrected: "TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at working brain-matter in the poster."

The rest is good, and imo, double serving is better than single Sly plus we can't shortchange Thranduil when everybody's diminutive has doubles.

Thanks for taking care of us so well, denwyn, even catching the grammary bits Smile

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn(new, posted 10 August), Four

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 12 2014, 11:24am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2014, 11:45am

Post #4 of 28 (493 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering about that [In reply to] Can't Post

"bran-matter", do we need more fiber in our diets around here? Laugh

And I'll change the "teh" to "the". Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2014, 11:52am

Post #5 of 28 (493 views)
Shortcut
*gives a final polish* There! How's that look, now? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 1:31pm

Post #6 of 28 (490 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! 3 small tweaks... [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost done.
  1. Please remove the "====" under "Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon Tongue"
  2. The "teh" was intentional Blush
  3. Can you replace the "working" before "brain-matter" with "functional" ? Sly

Thanks, derwyn.

PS:

"bran-matter", do we need more fiber in our diets around here?

LoL...I guess it depends on who's the topic. I wager the Dwarves are delinquently deficient in that regard. SlyAngelic

=======

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2014, 1:42pm

Post #7 of 28 (494 views)
Shortcut
This is impressive! [In reply to] Can't Post

You all are very industrious! Not only are Thranduil's Thralls extremely devoted, but also very, very organized!

*salutes* CoolWink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2014, 1:44pm

Post #8 of 28 (494 views)
Shortcut
Whups! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about the "===", those were my marks while editing, to indicate where the changed text was to go! Blush

Okay, the "teh" has been restored. Wink

That "bran-matter" has now brought to mind a certain passage from Bored of the Rings, which I shall not utter here...Angelic

(http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=359137; , scene 45)

(By the way, this links to one of my All-Time Favorite Posts. Extraordinary and inimicable.)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 1:54pm

Post #9 of 28 (488 views)
Shortcut
Awww, thanks! Documentation is in my blood... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess, even if it was not in my work. If only I could apply the same to housechores ShockedTongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 1:57pm

Post #10 of 28 (489 views)
Shortcut
Heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry to be troubling you so much today. Blush Eh, that entry seemed turned again - the missing part is missing again. Can you just paste it over with this?

"TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster"

And thanks for the linky, saving it for checking out laterHeartSmile

=======

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2014, 2:20pm

Post #11 of 28 (489 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If only I could apply the same to housechores ShockedTongue

I would always choose documenting housechores over actually doing them. Angelic

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2014, 2:48pm

Post #12 of 28 (488 views)
Shortcut
This is really strange. [In reply to] Can't Post

Extraneous code seems to keep popping up in that TA IX post.

Hopefully I've cleaned it all out without removing something vital - please take a look again, let me know it there's anything still amiss!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 3:05pm

Post #13 of 28 (482 views)
Shortcut
If only documenting them means never doing them nevah // [In reply to] Can't Post

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 3:07pm

Post #14 of 28 (481 views)
Shortcut
It's perfect now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, dernwyn. You're a star!Heart

Oh, and I did notice the propensity for posts to get extra codes as well. I always make it a point to clean up the TA OP post since parts of it does get copied onto the new thread. But yeah, every new thread I see the extra codes and stuff Crazy

Guess in a way, I'm doing housechores, just virtually. Tongue

=======

Kim
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 10:42pm

Post #15 of 28 (481 views)
Shortcut
Um, yes, hello mods, I have an additional request [In reply to] Can't Post

Could you please replace all references to "that disagreeable dwarf" to "His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic". Perhaps accompanied by any one of the myriad of photos showcasing his luxuriant espresso locks.

Thanks muchly. Evil

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2014, 11:04pm

Post #16 of 28 (480 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, the editing function has inexplicably broken. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to be working everywhere except in that discussion thread...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2014, 11:11pm

Post #17 of 28 (483 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I don't know what's up with that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

*idly waits for Thorin Appreciation Society to begin their own recurring thread*

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kim
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 11:20pm

Post #18 of 28 (488 views)
Shortcut
Might I suggest [In reply to] Can't Post

you involve the site administrators in this request? I'm sure they'll know how to get this taken care of.

*idly waits for Thorin Appreciation Society to begin their own recurring thread*

You obviously haven't received the memo, any thread can be made into a Thorin Appreciation thread. We don't need to set up our own special one, we go where we will. Evil

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 13 2014, 1:01am

Post #19 of 28 (474 views)
Shortcut
Does that mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
we go where we will. Evil

Does that mean that you, striving to become like His Majesty, tend to go in the wrong direction and get lost?

Cool

Kim
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 1:17am

Post #20 of 28 (469 views)
Shortcut
Why no [In reply to] Can't Post

I have an excellent sense of direction and know exactly where I am at all times. Unlike certain elves who don't know which way is northeast! Tongue

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 13 2014, 3:35am

Post #21 of 28 (464 views)
Shortcut
But he always... [In reply to] Can't Post

...seems to know where a quiver full of arrows is hiding. And grabs it before the camera cuts back to him. Tongue

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 12:02pm

Post #22 of 28 (456 views)
Shortcut
My sincerest thanks and apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for acknowledging the description of Thorin. Though I can see why you feel it needs to updated. It's really too short a description to do his grumpiness justice and for that I apologise. And while I appreciate your help to lengthen it, I will have to shoulder the heavy weight of extending my own creation.Angelic

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 12:05pm

Post #23 of 28 (455 views)
Shortcut
So right! Legolas has that inherent instinct. [In reply to] Can't Post

And frankly, while Kim's sense of direction would be a great help to the Company, it's his grumpiness' ability to make the use her directional talent that I doubt, and in turn Kim's ability to make a stand about the right direction to go since she is an avowed Thorinitis sufferer. Tongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 14 2014, 2:05pm

Post #24 of 28 (448 views)
Shortcut
Sc 45... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just ROFLOL

Thanks dernwyn Sly

Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn (new, posted 10 August), Four

=======

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2014, 3:59pm

Post #25 of 28 (453 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever [In reply to] Can't Post

had the, ah, "pleasure" of reading Bored of the Rings?

Angelic

There's also a (fortunately) lesser-known British take-off of The Hobbit, called The Soddit. I read it, and it was such a dog that I mailed it to squire in a "kennel" with a leash. He then mailed me a pic of the book, fully leashed, sniffing a fire hydrant.

Yeah, we do have fun here. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.