The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien inspired house

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Aug 11 2014, 4:57am

Post #1 of 14 (740 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien inspired house Can't Post

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please feel free to move it.

A Tolkien collector and admirer commissioned a special house inspired by LOTR. Quite lovely:

http://www.ulive.com/...c=FB_20140726_hobbit

(This post was edited by Elciryamo on Aug 11 2014, 4:58am)

Moahunter
Rohan

Aug 11 2014, 8:07am

Post #2 of 14 (595 views)
Shortcut
NZ isn't a territory....yet!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"We're sorry, this video is only available to viewers in the United States (and territories)."

dijomaja
Lorien

Aug 11 2014, 11:08am

Post #3 of 14 (571 views)
Shortcut
music? [In reply to] Can't Post

That was something. Anybody know what music was playing at the beginning?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 11 2014, 5:33pm

Post #4 of 14 (543 views)
Shortcut
A beautiful place! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure that many a late-Third Age or Fourth Age Hobbit would find that cottage quite comfortable (except perhaps for the high ceiling).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 11 2014, 6:32pm

Post #5 of 14 (533 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else having problems getting it to load? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what kind of video player that site is using, but I've been watching that little loading circle go around for ten minutes now. I tried refreshing and going out and coming back in too. It just won't load.

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Kim
Valinor

Aug 11 2014, 6:55pm

Post #6 of 14 (540 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all the interior woodwork (Douglas Fir from the PNW - whoot!)

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Aug 11 2014, 10:07pm

Post #7 of 14 (516 views)
Shortcut
I had the same problem on Firefox [In reply to] Can't Post

but when I switched to Explorer, the piece played with only a few seconds' delay.

Glassary
Rivendell

Aug 12 2014, 12:59am

Post #8 of 14 (521 views)
Shortcut
try this link [In reply to] Can't Post

Story about the same house on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UozCFJl-nPo

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Aug 12 2014, 2:07am

Post #9 of 14 (510 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

I had forgotten to consider the idea of different territories and I do apologize for that.

Also, glad to see the Pacific NW getting some love :D

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Aug 13 2014, 1:28am

Post #10 of 14 (499 views)
Shortcut
Great Story! But... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's unfortunate, imo, HGTV went with the term 'reclusive.' I much enjoyed the YouTube link Glassary provided; the owner seems pleasant and sociable. Can't knock his passion.

Perhaps 'introvert' would be a more accurate term? Oh well, regardless of the connotations associated with either term, a snappy title is all about garnering clicks!

PS, this story was one of the more enjoyable ads in my Facebook feed this evening.Smile

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Play LOTRO with us!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 13 2014, 12:11pm

Post #11 of 14 (480 views)
Shortcut
*slaver, slurp* Home, Geek, Home!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG... I need to get rich! I saw this when it aired, and now being able to re-visit it is wonderful. I'm so delighted that the owner was so careful to honour the hobbity style. :) I've been gathering items for about 3 years now to create a hobbity room. To have a whole dwelling would be heaven!

THANKS!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 13 2014, 12:12pm

Post #12 of 14 (498 views)
Shortcut
As a self-professed introvert [In reply to] Can't Post

YOU'RE RIGHT! :D

*high five*

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Aug 22 2014, 3:57am

Post #13 of 14 (452 views)
Shortcut
You cannot be a geek [In reply to] Can't Post

Without being reclusive. Given the amount of information and access the owner was willing to provide, reclusive was an odd term to me as well.

However, I think that many would be introverted about such a passion driven project, given how sometimes passion projects can be regarded by the public.

In Reply To
...it's unfortunate, imo, HGTV went with the term 'reclusive.' I much enjoyed the YouTube link Glassary provided; the owner seems pleasant and sociable. Can't knock his passion.

Perhaps 'introvert' would be a more accurate term? Oh well, regardless of the connotations associated with either term, a snappy title is all about garnering clicks!

PS, this story was one of the more enjoyable ads in my Facebook feed this evening.Smile

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Aug 22 2014, 5:08am

Post #14 of 14 (475 views)
Shortcut
A minor correction [In reply to] Can't Post

My original point was that society seems to expect geeks to be reclusive, and so, portrayed the owner of this house as such.

Poor choice of words, in my opinion. I also apologize for any confusion.

In Reply To
Without being reclusive. Given the amount of information and access the owner was willing to provide, reclusive was an odd term to me as well.

However, I think that many would be introverted about such a passion driven project, given how sometimes passion projects can be regarded by the public.

In Reply To

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.