The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Images of Rob Kazinsky as Fili

Rubber John
The Shire

Aug 10 2014, 11:07am

Post #1 of 20 (1853 views)
Shortcut
Images of Rob Kazinsky as Fili Can't Post

I don't recall seeing these posted so thought I'd capture a few and upload them.
They're taken from the Appendices of the EE An Unexpected Journey - An Unexpected Party - Bag End segment.

I did notice that - as in the last picture - Rob wasn't sitting around the table with the rest of the group (standing out of the way in the adjacent room) and in some shots he wasn't there at all. So, I wonder if it was during the filming of this scene that he had received his news and had decided to leave.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 10 2014, 7:27pm)

Azaghâl
Lorien

Aug 10 2014, 12:38pm

Post #2 of 20 (1110 views)
Shortcut
To be honest.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dean O'Gorman's Fili looks better.

One thing that I really want to know is, if Fili's role would be as big as Kilis' if they hadn't changed the actor.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 10 2014, 12:42pm

Post #3 of 20 (988 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that's true [In reply to] Can't Post

Rob Kazinsky's Fili looks a little weird and not right at all. Poor guy!

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Noria
Gondor

Aug 10 2014, 12:55pm

Post #4 of 20 (967 views)
Shortcut
Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that O'Gorman's Fili looks better, though Kazinsky matches Armitage and Turner more closely in height. But we'll never know if we would have liked Kazinsky's Fili just as much. We might have.

But Dean O'Gorman's Fili is one of my favourite Dwarves, and IMO he manages to look both Dwarf-like and hot. It works for me.

I also suspect that the character would have had a bigger role but for the change of actors, even just inclusion on shots where he is absent and in those little non-verbal character moments. Maybe we'll see more of him in TBOFA.

Rubber John
The Shire

Aug 10 2014, 2:03pm

Post #5 of 20 (852 views)
Shortcut
I also agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one more: -

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 10 2014, 7:27pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 10 2014, 2:26pm

Post #6 of 20 (848 views)
Shortcut
He looks odd [In reply to] Can't Post

I think his forehead looks a little too big, and his nose/eye area is too squished together. Doesn't really look dwarvish, either. Dean O'Gorman was a much better choice, and I think because of him I care for Fili more.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Aug 10 2014, 6:10pm

Post #7 of 20 (697 views)
Shortcut
Actually I think Kazinsky's looks more like a Dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking at those pics, I think Kazinsky looks more dwarven than O'Gorman's Fili.

I seem to be the only one here who thinks that, looking at the other comments.

O'Gorman's is much more handsome, I agree.

* crunch *

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 10 2014, 6:15pm

Post #8 of 20 (685 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll agree he looks less human than the version we see in the films. Also, let's not criticise the guy as we haven't been able to see his performance as Kili.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 6:18pm

Post #9 of 20 (732 views)
Shortcut
Feel bad for Kazinsky, [In reply to] Can't Post

but i really like O'Gorman's Fili, and wish he had a bigger role in the films (i'm looking at you, Kili). And he does really look more "at home" in that look than Kazinsky does. Suits him better.

leonmuse
Rivendell

Aug 10 2014, 6:23pm

Post #10 of 20 (668 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't look odd. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry and i'm not trying to displease you (really), but he doesn't "look odd". That's just because you've got another actor's appearance stabilished. And this stabilished actor happens to fit into what society and media calls "handsome". But that is so wrong.

The old actor maybe could have contributed more to the character, as far as acting is concerned. We will never know. But judging by the appearances is just wrong.

sycorax82
Rohan

Aug 10 2014, 7:12pm

Post #11 of 20 (626 views)
Shortcut
I think a couple of these shots are actually a double as opposed to Rob [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, you can tell it's just test makeup for some shots. To be honest, I think it was for the best that the casting change happened, whatever the real reason was.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 10 2014, 7:29pm

Post #12 of 20 (630 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Rubber John, [In reply to] Can't Post

but some of your images were oversized and had to be removed. You're welcome to resize them to our guidelines from the FAQs (pasted below) and repost them within this thread.

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 10 2014, 8:15pm

Post #13 of 20 (576 views)
Shortcut
Interesting images, Rubber John, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Rob Kazinsky was (in theory) the perfect match for Aidan Turner: we have to remember that Aidan was probably chosen first because they absolutely wanted him in this film, and finally Fran proposed him the role of Kili, instead of that of an Elf, for example.

Rob Kazinsky is as tall as Aidan, he is very close in age and he is English. They also look similar in bone structure. He is naturally fair haired so he could be considered as Aidan's blonde counterpart (and I presume they were looking exactly for this).
So the Weta artists created Fili on Rob's face: they invented his costume, his prosthetics, his short beard and braided moustache and last but not least his wig.

These pictures are wonderful because they let us see clearly, maybe for the first time, what the first Fili really looked like! Much of the BTS has been cut, or cut around Rob unfortunately, so we can see just glimpses..

The only real thing that remains is the Hobbit Press Conference of Feb. 11th 2011, when Rob was present and talked an awful lot (sorry but he talked way too much, and the other actors did not exactly agree with his opinions, especially Graham McTavish, and, unfortunately, Aidan Turner).

I don't know why Rob decided to leave the project which could have been the biggest of his professional life. We really don't know and it is not right to speculate on sensations or first impressions...

He is said to have been the best swordsman of the group (maybe that's why Fili has got 2 swords, noy just 1). PJ had positioned him right next to Thorin during the Misty Mountains song, so I guess we should have had many more scenes with Fili/Rob than what we have now with Fili/Dean.

PJ was very generous towards him when he told about his sudden leaving the production (well, there was the ominous precedent of Stuart Townsend's firing, notwithstanding the fact that Stuart was PJ's absolute choice, as Mark Ordesky has recently revealed).
Maybe this time around he wanted to be absoutely straightforward and diplomatic in order not to create any awful rumours both for Rob and especially for the production. It is interesting that he had a ready-made substitute: Dean O'Gorman who, at the time in April 2011, was enjoying a huge wave of popularity thanks to the first season of the Kiwi series The Almighty Johnsons.
Just because of this series, Dean's schedule as Fili had to be adjusted around the commitment to shoot series 2 (Dean said about his initial worry not to be able to play the role of Fili after he had been chosen because of his job on this series)

So, much of AUJ was shot without him.
Since DOS, with the Tauriel storyline was clearly Kili's film, and, maybe the first part (who knows?) was intended to introduce Thorin's heir to the public, we have ended with 2 films and too little Fili IMHO.

I love the Hobbit films, and I am sure I would have loved them just the same with Rob instead of Dean.

But to me Dean has worked a kind of magic.
He really had the guts to take the plunge and start acting in the middle of nowhere... with no Dwarf boot camp (and he was chosen also because he was extremely fit, he could already ride and sword fight, and many of the other actors actually learnt these things in NZ).
He "felt like a deer into the headlights" but he went on anyway.

I do not want to talk about the legendary chemistry between the terrible twins, Aidan and Dean, because you will find countless examples everywhere on the net.
For me the presence of Dean O'Gorman instead of Rob Kazinsky is an added bonus, because I don't think I would have fallen in love so deeply and so unexpectedly with the Durins without Dean as Fili.
Nothing more, nothing less.

HeartHeartHeartHeart

(This post was edited by Elanor of Rohan on Aug 10 2014, 8:20pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 8:46pm

Post #14 of 20 (562 views)
Shortcut
I believe the last pic shows Steven A. Davis [In reply to] Can't Post

Who doubled Kazinksy before his departure.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 10 2014, 9:14pm

Post #15 of 20 (520 views)
Shortcut
Yes Dean is gorgeous and definitely my fav! [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Aug 10 2014, 9:14pm)

Rubber John
The Shire

Aug 10 2014, 10:38pm

Post #16 of 20 (502 views)
Shortcut
Original images were removed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't edit my original posts, so here are the images again re-sized: -

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 11 2014, 12:54am

Post #17 of 20 (427 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for doing that! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 11 2014, 6:12am

Post #18 of 20 (427 views)
Shortcut
Actually, the Weta statue of Fili... [In reply to] Can't Post

...looks much more similar to Rob than to Dean.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Azaghâl
Lorien

Aug 11 2014, 4:43pm

Post #19 of 20 (292 views)
Shortcut
Good post [In reply to] Can't Post

I also feel that AUJ was going to be Fili's movie. I am extremely diasappointed with PJ that he didn't include a scene with Thorin and Fili. We know that a scene was filmed during the infamous warg chase(Thorin & Fili behind a rock formation).

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

marillaraina
Rohan

Aug 11 2014, 5:38pm

Post #20 of 20 (286 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I also feel that AUJ was going to be Fili's movie. I am extremely diasappointed with PJ that he didn't include a scene with Thorin and Fili. We know that a scene was filmed during the infamous warg chase(Thorin & Fili behind a rock formation).

People make a lot of that picture but it could have been a "scene" that lasted for all 2 seconds and was like "What should we do?/Let's go!" That said I do think Kazinski's departure probably took with it some "character moments" in AUJ for Fili.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.