Seeing Things
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Seeing Things
I wear contacts regularly
I wear glasses regularly
I just use reading glasses
I wear both contacts and glasses interchangeably as needed
I've had my vision corrected surgically
I have eyes like an elf and don't need any specs!
Other (please elaborate)
View Results (63 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 9 2014, 5:07pm

Post #1 of 32 (795 views)
Shortcut
Seeing Things Can't Post

I got my first pair of glasses in 3rd grade: sparkly powder blue cat's eye frames. I ventured into soft contacts in college which was a difficult adjustment emotionally (I seriously was in shock discovering what I actually looked like Crazy) but gradually came to accept them. I have now been wearing glasses only for quite a few years as my aging orbs took a dislike to contact cleaning solutions.

I am now pondering whether I should try going back to contacts again or should try LASIK, which last, to be honest, makes me very very nervous. Pirate

So how do you see things when you look at the world?

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 9 2014, 5:40pm

Post #2 of 32 (594 views)
Shortcut
I wear glasses and I love them! [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I was afraid I would look unattractive in them but now I love how they make me look, (they make my nose look smaller! lol) I have considered trying contacts one day but its not a huge concern. LASIK I agree is pretty daunting. I don't plan on doing it myself.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Aug 9 2014, 5:41pm)

Kim
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 8:22pm

Post #3 of 32 (578 views)
Shortcut
LASIK FTW! [In reply to] Can't Post

I started wearing glasses at age 6, moved to contacts at age 16, then finally had LASIK at age 33 when my eyes settled. Best thing ever! I hated wearing glasses (and being called four eyes), and soft contacts wouldn't correct my vision, so I had gas permeable, which were ok unless I got a speck of dust in them, then it felt like someone was stabbing me in the eye with an icepick! My siblings and a couple of friends all had LASIK, so I finally got to the point where I felt comfortable going in for the surgery. I came out of it 20/15, then settled into 20/20 and I love it. Cool

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 9 2014, 8:26pm

Post #4 of 32 (583 views)
Shortcut
I just feel like my glasses are a part of me. It goes well with my nerd personality. [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Aug 9 2014, 8:26pm)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 9 2014, 10:12pm

Post #5 of 32 (572 views)
Shortcut
I go back & forth [In reply to] Can't Post

I wear glasses at home, contacts when I go out. I've worn glasses since I was 8 and got contacts at 15; I am lucky in that I tolerate gas-permeable hard lenses, which correct my vision to 20/15.

I have a problem with dry eyes so never went for LASIK (and also, at my age I'd still need reading glasses). I've had friends do very well with LASIK, but also know people who had bad results (one whose eyes went right back to myopia within a year, another who has struggled ever since with floaters & dry eye). So I stick with what works.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 9 2014, 10:24pm

Post #6 of 32 (569 views)
Shortcut
I wear glasses regularly... [In reply to] Can't Post

that I've had since I was three (though different frames and prescriptions). The eye doctor says my eyes are actually improving, since every time I get new glasses, he (or she) has to change the prescription, so perhaps by the time I'm 50, I won't need glasses or contacts (but doubtful). The doctor says that one of my eyes is more squished than the other one, so that's why I need corrective lenses in the first place. Sometimes, this corrects itself as we age, but not always. I tried contacts once when I was in high school, but I ended up ripping one, so I'll stick with glasses (the cleaning solution for contacts can be quite pricey, so eyeglasses are cheaper). My stepfather's sister once got her eyes corrected by lasers but ended up going to back to glasses anyways, since she was already in her 40s or 50s when she did so (though it seems to be working for Peter Jackson, so good for him). This is the one thing that will actually give away my gender this Halloween (since I'm dressing up as Thorin this year); my voice and the fact that I wear glasses (whereas Thorin does not).Smile

I've never been called "four eyes" (that I'm aware of), but when I was in school (I'm unsure if it was in grade school or high school, though it may have been the latter) someone threw a snowball at me that caused one of my lenses to fall out (unfortunately, it was the lens for the weak eye) that was found later on (I'm unsure what they actually did with it).

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 10:29pm

Post #7 of 32 (563 views)
Shortcut
I've worn glasses since I was three, and contacts since I turned 18. [In reply to] Can't Post

I HATED glasses, because one ear and one eyebrow is just slightly higher than the other one. Plus, my parents were hard-wired to CHEAP, so my glasses were always huge, ugly, and plastic frames (not the attractive kinds, mind you) Frown

But when I played volleyball my senior year of high school and got hit in the face, my parents decided that contacts were necessary to keep my glasses from breaking on my face. Didn't get them in til the season was over (apparently my lazy eye, corrected with a patch til three, then glasses, needed special weighted contacts that needed to be ordered in) but LOVED THEM, and have stuck with them since Smile

Now, if I wear glasses, the slight pressure on my temples gives me a headache- I could literally have them falling off my face when I look down and still get that headache. I need quite large sunglasses to keep that from happening (looks terrible as glasses, great as sunglasses and shade my extremely pale face to boot).

I unfortunately cannot get LASIK. I am far sighted, rare but possible, and so are my two girls (the youngest also shares my lazy eye, poor kid, and got her miraflex glasses at 15 months- PURE GENIUS style for toddlers!) and my eldest got her regular dark, dark blue plastic frames (which look great on her) at four. We didn't actually realize she needed them, but when her baby sister did we decided to get her checked out too, and surprise! Unsure So four for four eyewear in our family (my husband wears contacts too- was in glasses til our eldest as a baby kept ripping them off his face).

But far sighted people cannot get LASIK, and neither can people with lazy eye (amblyopia). LASIK only works with near-sightedness, and lazy eyes are a muscular issue correctable by surgery. And even then, surgery so close to the eye like that is not recommended unless absolutely necessary, so if eyewear fixes it doctors prefer to stay with that.

However, I cannot praise the benefits of LASIK enough, if you're a candidate (my husband eventually wants to do it too, and he's nearsighted with no lazy eye so he could). My father in law's glasses were so thick, they ran over $600 a pair, and most of that cost was lenses alone. And my mother in law didn't have vision insurance for the longest time (she's a nurse practitioner, but the benefits are through his job, though they did have medical). Even if she had, they still would have run over $400 a pair. He wasn't that far off from being legally blind, to be honest. But he got LASIK, and now he only occasionally needs glasses for reading! And that's primarily due to age- he's in his 50's now. It paid for itself in three years because his glasses were so expensive. I wish I was, but I will be stuck in eyewear the rest of my life unless they eventually can do it for far sighted lazy eye people.

So if it's an option, and you can afford it, I would say go with it! Good luck to you Evil

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 9 2014, 10:33pm

Post #8 of 32 (569 views)
Shortcut
A gentle reminder to all posters here: [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't forget to vote! Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 10:50pm

Post #9 of 32 (546 views)
Shortcut
Elf eyes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 9 2014, 11:06pm

Post #10 of 32 (554 views)
Shortcut
Wearing glasses as of 42 years old [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny, I like hiding behind them. ;)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2014, 11:53pm

Post #11 of 32 (545 views)
Shortcut
I was near-sighted at first [In reply to] Can't Post

and only found out when I went to pharmacy school in my late 20s. Never had a problem before then. It was never bad enough to need them for driving, except at night. Then in my 40s I started getting headaches while reading and using the computer at work so I got reading glasses.

But I don't need them for anything in between. So If I'm reading, I have glasses on. If I'm driving I have glasses on. But just doing stuff around the house, I don't wear anything.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 10 2014, 1:39am

Post #12 of 32 (538 views)
Shortcut
Other... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was born with eyes like an elf, but I am a mortal. Now, in my 40s, for the past year or so I occasionally wear glasses that correct my mild astigmatism. And I notice I can't read the fine print on medicine bottles and the like, anymore, so glasses for reading are in my medium-term future too. :)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 2:44am

Post #13 of 32 (529 views)
Shortcut
I've only heard good things about LASIK.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally know three people that have had it, and they all were blown away by the improvement in their vision. One of them, my 73yr. old grandmother, doesn't even need glasses any more, and she has near 20/20 now. I'm not trying to counsel you one way or another-- just giving out facts. (Yes I might be an Elf-counselor. Tongue)

On topic....

No, I've never needed glasses, and I can read the bottom line of the Snellen Chart to within the last few letters. (I can't tell if the last few letters are "O's" or "Q's", "F's" or "E's", or "C's" or "O's") I have a friend attending a school of Ophthalmology, and they tell me that I have ridiculously good eyesight.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 10 2014, 2:51am

Post #14 of 32 (530 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I have dry eyes from LASIK. [In reply to] Can't Post

To be fair, my eyes were a little dry before - which is why I failed at wearing contact lenses - but LASIK exacerbated the problem and my eyes are usually fairly red. However, it was worth it. LASIK is one of the best things I've ever done, just for the little wins of crossing the road in the rain and not having raindrops sit on glasses right in front of my eyes, or opening the oven door and not having my glasses fog up immediately. I can also wear proper sunglasses, for a change. :)

I had been dead set against the idea of letting any surgical blade near my eyeballs, but then my optician mentioned then I'd eventually move to bifocals and that was enough to nudge me towards surgery.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 4:34am

Post #15 of 32 (525 views)
Shortcut
Glasses for me; I could never wear contacts [In reply to] Can't Post

I wear glasses because:
A. I can't stand to touch my eyes. I don't like anything coming anywhere near my eyes. I can't even bear that little air-puffy test they do for glaucoma. I just sign a release form and forego the test. Needless to say, lasik is out of the question TongueLaugh

B. I just prefer the way I look in glasses. I have a very round face - heavy or thin, I always have a Charlie Brown head. Crazy I need some nice squarish or rectangular frames to break up all this facial real estate. TongueLaugh

(This post was edited by zarabia on Aug 10 2014, 4:35am)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 10 2014, 4:40am

Post #16 of 32 (523 views)
Shortcut
I agree that glasses can make you look more attractive [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel more attractive in my glasses as well. I think the notion of glasses being ugly came from people who only ever wore really bad pairs. The right pair can look not only flattering but even stylish.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 4:46am

Post #17 of 32 (526 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

More and more people are wearing glasses purely as a fashion accessory. That may just be a short lived hipster fad - people trying to look intellectual - but I think many genuinely like how they look. Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Aug 10 2014, 4:49am)

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 10 2014, 6:03am

Post #18 of 32 (500 views)
Shortcut
Glasses, here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went from glasses to contacts, now back to glasses. I still keep contacts around, in case I'm planning on doing something/going somewhere unfriendly to spectacles. 95% of the time, though, it's glasses nowadays.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 10 2014, 7:49am

Post #19 of 32 (494 views)
Shortcut
No specs for me, thank you very much! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 10:59am

Post #20 of 32 (504 views)
Shortcut
No glasses, [In reply to] Can't Post

but i can tell that reading glasses aren't too far around the corner (ugh).

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 3:57pm

Post #21 of 32 (473 views)
Shortcut
I have had a difficult time with my eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

I got glasses at age 8 -- hated them forever. I got hard contacts at 16, which I loved, but when I switched to gas-permeable it didn't work out very well because I didn't produce enough tears to keep my eyes hydrated with them. So I got LASIK, but it wasn't done quite right so had to continue wearing glasses until my eyes healed enough to be done again. That was perfect, because I had one eye that was great for distance but could still read close up --- until I got shingles in one eye that changed my vision. So, hesitantly, I had LASIK done again (only because it was free for improvements) one eye at a time. Now I see perfectly for distance but have to wear reading glasses, although now my optometrist says I am slowly developing a cateract in one eye.

While I think LASIK is great if done right, I had enough trouble that I would not have it done again.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 11 2014, 12:56am

Post #22 of 32 (469 views)
Shortcut
I wore one contact for a while. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm near-sighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other, so I can actually do pretty well without glasses. I often don't wear them around the house. But if I do it for too long, I start seeing double. I wore one contact for a while, but then I hit middle age, and it felt silly to be wearing a contact and reading glasses. So I went to bifocal glasses and never looked back. I love them. When I'm on the computer, I throw a pair of cheap reading glasses on over the bifocals, and look silly, but it works great. I do have a pair of distance glasses for hiking, and a pair for the computer that I use at work. But mostly I wear the bifocals.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 11 2014, 9:15pm

Post #23 of 32 (426 views)
Shortcut
No vision aid yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I believe (and the folks closest to me believe) that I am ready to be tested for some reading glasses. 40. Yep.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2014, 3:32pm

Post #24 of 32 (415 views)
Shortcut
Nah.... [In reply to] Can't Post

They just started shrinking that small print to be even smaller Wink.....Or so my parents said......Tongue Laugh

phij2
Rivendell

Aug 13 2014, 7:49pm

Post #25 of 32 (399 views)
Shortcut
elf eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

but i suspect when i am older that might changeCrazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.