The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part IX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 9:20am

Post #201 of 222 (4257 views)
Shortcut
     Heh... that was funny, though aren't we all typo queens at one time or another [In reply to]  

I know I'm uber proneTongue

Glad folks like the image *cough* tasteful, but the kind of ALL MUSCLE we would expect of the Elven King and pretty much what Lee Pace has in real life anyway HeartHeartHeart

HCF isn't shy about that *grins*.

*sigh* That image is just... so to get a clean version, apply the way of GIMP eh?Evil

Re HCF... Can I just say I love epi 6 for putting all that gloriousness out there? HeartHeartHeart Plus the American Psycho Patrick Bateman vibe was just great!

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn (new, posted 10 August), Four

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 9:21am

Post #202 of 222 (4271 views)
Shortcut
     Loving both images [In reply to]  

Thanks for sharing VValar. Sly

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn (new, posted 10 August), Four

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 9:26am

Post #203 of 222 (4287 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil, Bilbo and Thorin [In reply to]  

I am pleased that the original material paints a picture of Thranduil and Bard making a real effort to stop Bilbo (as I have mentioned before, Tolkien would have booted me from his classes from my 'tude and questions). As opposed to just waving goodby to Bilbo *cough* in that one of my Hobbit book complaints are not fleshing some things out more (tho I KNOW this was a book for children etc.)Unsure

This will be heartbreaking if the movie shows it the way I envision, e.g. the long lonely walk to Bard and Thranduil, and the even longer and lonely walk back, to *possible* death at the hands of a friend and king you just betrayed. FrownFrownFrown

Then again, my heart breaks for Thorin, who has a kind of loneliness and is maddened by then, and yet this is his Hobbit, who saved his life, plus dwarves put so much stock into loyalty. For Thorin to hear what Bilbo has done, I am not surprised if Thorin tries to kill Bilbo - tho it's unclear to me even after Bilbo has spent so much time with the dwarves if he understands the degree of what he does.Frown Thranduil certainly does, I think.Unsure

*Sob* FrownFrownFrown

Well said! You know how I feel about the TH triumvirate. They are very interesting characters to me, Thorin more so due to the movies, are all wonderfully portrayed to me, and I am hoping BotFA will not sell anyone of them short.

I just keep thinking about that image of them three in a pile pining after their respective precious EvilTongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 9:27am

Post #204 of 222 (4256 views)
Shortcut
     Well [In reply to]  

But Lurker and others have been quite kind about my illness, empathetic even. TongueWinkCool
'Coz folks here UNDERSTANDHeartHeartHeartWink

You know what they say about birds and flocks... Evil

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 9:30am

Post #205 of 222 (4251 views)
Shortcut
     I think Eruvandi's suggestion is the one for us [In reply to]  

Whoever starts threads in that two-week window need to put a reminder to posters to plaster their post titles with [SPOILER] so those of us who want to avoid spoilage but still want our TA fix can still come straight to the thread and hang out.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 9:33am

Post #206 of 222 (4274 views)
Shortcut
     You're welcome [In reply to]  

And I'm also not so hot on the ending credits on TH, though I can't fault AUJ - it is Neil Finn after all HeartHeartHeart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 9:36am

Post #207 of 222 (4261 views)
Shortcut
     Glad you decided to jump in [In reply to]  

Even if its just a "Squee!", it's good too. I mean how else will the PR hawks know there's Thranduil love around here?Smile

Keep posting!Sly

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 9:39am

Post #208 of 222 (4269 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks, Eruvandi! [In reply to]  

*saves* and of course I'm way behind the reading schedule Unsure Needs to remedy soon!

ETA: oops, I tipped the thread all by my lonesome self! *sigh* I really don't do stay-away offline from TA thread that well. *slinks off and take cover from chore of mod!*

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 17 2014, 9:40am)

Willow353
The Shire

Aug 17 2014, 1:39pm

Post #209 of 222 (4255 views)
Shortcut
     Picture posting practice [In reply to]  

Hi Kim, thanks for the simplified steps. I like simplified Smile
Again, I apologize if this picture has been posted here before.

Hey, I think it worked! Yay! I needed to highlight the blank spaces. Thanks again for the help, Kim :)

Oh, here's the page where the image is online. The artist has some nice pictures of Thorin, Fili and Kili too
http://www.deviantart.com/...119890?_sid=68fd8667

Did I link right? Sorry, still not sure what I'm doing lol

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 1:43pm

Post #210 of 222 (4259 views)
Shortcut
     Well done, Willow =) [In reply to]  

Now you're all set!

And don't worry about re-posts. Smile

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 17 2014, 1:48pm

Post #211 of 222 (4259 views)
Shortcut
     *applause* yeah, you got it!!! [In reply to]  

*grins* now you can help us decorate, seeing as IMO there's never too much Thranduil put up. (Or Thorin of course. And also images of Oropher and Mirkwood and elves and so on.HeartHeartHeart)

Congrats! Took me a couple of tries, but Kim was HUGE help!!!!!Evil

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 1:55pm

Post #212 of 222 (4303 views)
Shortcut
     PS a word to the wise about the threadlock threat =P [In reply to]  

If you read the lexicon in the opening post, threadlock is real. When we get past the 200post count, posting can be quite the walk on the ledge, because anything a mod may swoop in and close it forevah. We can still post until then, but if you don't want to lose your post before it's seen light of day, copy it to a word processor first, then hit the Submit button. So if we get threadlocked, you can still post, but in the new thread. Hope this helps.

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 17 2014, 2:08pm

Post #213 of 222 (4271 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you Derwyn! [In reply to]  

That was moving to read - an impressive young lady - and impressive re PJ & co.

I had read one article? where RA has sent some of Thorin's chain maille and a letter to a cancer victim a while ago - as far as I remember she had to miss meeting RA re his filming which would totally be awful - but in any case I am glad PJ & co. know the reach of what they do is far beyond "mere films."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 17 2014, 3:51pm

Post #214 of 222 (4247 views)
Shortcut
     Same person! [In reply to]  

Elvenbutterflies did write at one point about receiving a letter from Richard, with a signed photo - where he's in prison in the Elvenking's lockups and is saying, "Not our only hope" (probably because of her battle with cancer) - and some pieces of Thorin's chain mail.

The letter was on the 'Net for a while, and I've read it, but she took it down and requested that anyone who had copied it do so also. But it did contain major spoilers - including Thorin's last words to Bilbo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

VValar
Gondor

Aug 17 2014, 4:28pm

Post #215 of 222 (4253 views)
Shortcut
     Of course you can ask me! [In reply to]  

I think it's because Thorin is the one character who is supposedly undergo the greatest transformation of all characters in TH.
I was intrigued to see it happen with Frodo/Sam, Gandalf and -to some extend- Aragorn in the LotR, who in my opinion changed most during the story as a character. In comparison to, for example Legolas or Gimli, who stay IMO most true to the characters they already are at the beginning of the Fellowship. Does that make sense? I hope it does, sometimes I'm hopeless at explaining.

Either for better or worse, I'm looking forward to seeing some character development. In Thorin, as well as Thranduil, who I think will also have a change of heart somewhere in the BoFA.
Of course everyone who is involved in the journey of TH will somehow be affected or changed by their experiences (Bilbo of course, not for a small part thanks to finding the ring - we already see it affecting him in DOS, Bard, Legolas, etc.) But mostly these characters will develop themselves in a good way, with Thorin this will not be the case. And I'm very curious to see it play out on the big screen.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 4:56pm

Post #216 of 222 (4239 views)
Shortcut
     You've got it! [In reply to]  

Both the photo and the link (and thanks to Lurker's compilation post at the bottom of the thread, we now know how to make the pic clickable too). Welcome to the world of photo posting - it can get addictive. Smile

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Kim
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 5:00pm

Post #217 of 222 (4246 views)
Shortcut
     Photo hosting [In reply to]  

Photo-posting - thanks for those tips Kim. And to think all this time I've been hosting pics off Photobucket, (and grumbling about the time that extra step takes) when all this time, there was a shortcut! Smile

You're quite welcome, and thanks for your comment. I don't host pics online and have been wondering if that was actually a faster method. Learn something new every day! Smile

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

VValar
Gondor

Aug 17 2014, 5:22pm

Post #218 of 222 (4221 views)
Shortcut
     Cool! [In reply to]  

Lucky you going to South Africa!
Ok I understand, busy times during Christmas and you have good work ethics so no sneak peek for you until release date in Australia.

Sooooo that means this applies for you as well

VValar
Gondor

Aug 17 2014, 5:32pm

Post #219 of 222 (4316 views)
Shortcut
     Think so yes [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I'm going to save it for reading later. Though, OTOMH, I think Celeborn and Thranduil are at least acquaintances, both being Sindar and having lived in Doriath before it all went sideways. Dang, I need to get back on track with my Silm-read Evil

Yes it would seem that way to me as well. But reading this article/blog made me truely consider the possibility of them actually being related as well. Very interesting reading and lots of fun to read others opinions and research. Makes you rethink certain (plot/character)holes Smile

VValar
Gondor

Aug 17 2014, 5:35pm

Post #220 of 222 (4247 views)
Shortcut
     Interested! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I found this interactive map of Beleriand done by The LOTR Project the other day. It marks the location and date of a bunch of the events in the Silm. Just click the red dots to see them. Pretty cool!Cool

Yes I'm interested, thanks for the link!

VValar
Gondor

Aug 17 2014, 8:46pm

Post #221 of 222 (4246 views)
Shortcut
     Question about Thranduil's sword [In reply to]  

I have a question regarding Thranduil's sword. I know there was a thread started about his fighting style not too long ago, featuring the sword(s) as well. But I can't seem to find it and I figured that kindof the same people who responded in said thread are in this one as well, so here it is:

First off his sword, I absolutely love all of the details Heart, it looks beautiful and lethal at the same time.

Obviously the design differs quite a bit from most of the swords we have already seen in LotR or the Hobbit thus far.
What I'm kind of missing here is the crossguard, that piece of metal placed between the blade and the hilt. I believe it is placed there to protect the hand of the wielder. And I guess it would come in handy to prevent your hand from slipping downward onto your own blade during battle. But I don't see anything of a considerable sized crossguard on Thranduil's sword that could protect his hand if he were to deflect a high blow. If you look at Orcrist, Sting or any of the swords of Aragron, Gandalf etc., they all have one.

Soooo this leaves me question: why hasn't he got one? Does this mean he is so super awesome in his fighting Heart that he hardly needs one?

(This post was edited by VValar on Aug 17 2014, 8:48pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 17 2014, 11:45pm

Post #222 of 222 (4223 views)
Shortcut
     Great Elephants! When did this thread get to 220 posts? [In reply to]  

221, including mine, now! Laugh

Okay, Thralls, you know what to do - time to start Number X! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.