Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part IX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 9:18am

Post #1 of 222 (11925 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part IX  

Well! For a while there it seemed like Thranduil Appreciation Thread VIII would be the foreverthread and suddenly, threadlock! And now there are NINE.

Any and all appreciation of Thranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All Thranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Gigantic, and clean, source file in this post in TAVIII.
Incidentally, that post is also the start of a discussion on Thranduil being in Dale.)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:

I (Originating thread and II by Rowan Greene)
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
(Thread by Eruvandi)
VIII

Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker.

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon
Tongue

• Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • LA: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies: LP's 2008/2009 TV series.
  • Peckish Thrall: Avandel's TA humour panels ala Peckish Owl (So this is new, sue me. I'm just pre-emptively perpetuating something that's an eventuality Angelic)
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend"
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occassionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know his name, google is your mellon)
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 posts, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over 200 postcount. See also "Threadlock"
  • TW: Thrall Wars. An ongoing bit of silliness in the Fan Art board ribbing everything in and about the Thralldoms of Thranduil and that disagreeable dwarf (see "T&T"). Only one thing is sure: nothing and no one is safe Evil Think of it as vicarious authorly pretensions in miniature ping-pong mode, usually between Avandel and yours truly... Morphing into a 3-player mahjong game with Kerewyn dipping her toes inHeart
  • Woodland Weekend: Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas and *cough*some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!"

Keeping track of the appreciation
Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Aug 12 2014, 2:45pm)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 9 2014, 10:36am

Post #2 of 222 (10614 views)
Shortcut
     Continuing on Bard's trailer scene.. [In reply to]  

Thanks again Lurker! You should hence-forth also be known as Thread-Starter. Cool

I’m bringing forward Eruvandi’s post in the previous thread, about the trailer teaser scene with Bard and the Elven army.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=766384#766384

To me, all of this raises the question of why did the elves turn so that their army is parted down the middle like that? Well, that's where the theory that my aunt and I came up with comes in: I think the army is either making a path for Bard to walk down to meet Thranduil, or they are making a path for Thranduil to walk up to meet Bard. Since Thranduil is the Elvenking and Bard doesn't seem to know what's going on, I would say the later is more likely. After all, it fits Thranduil's style that his arrival in Dale with his army would have an element of pomp and circumstance.

and

In that, Thranduil wouldn't walk TO anyone . You walk TO him, and while I guess it might be polite to make a path for Bard, I also took it as an unspoken threat - the flawless synchronous turn, the thud of the bows. E.g., for any visitor, to try to attack or threaten Thranduil is a very bad mistake. Somehow this sounds like Thranduil.

I am kind of agreeing with both these thoughts, although they are conflicting. And have to admit my very first impression was that of an army paying tribute / saluting / making way for its leader (been watching too much Daenerys and her Unsullied) but that wouldn’t be the case here. (It’s possible I’m also recalling Haldir’s army matching on Helm’s Deep) Then, I did consider the idea, as we look over Bard’s head and along that path, that Thranduil would appear, maybe his first appearance. As said above though, it's not kingly that he walk through to meet Bard. Or will he? Perhaps he will ride through? That would be intimidating.

Could this scene be setting up 'spectacularly' for Thranduil’s first appearance in BotFA? I don’t want that, because I want to see him in Mirkwood first, making the decision to leave. It’s possible an early scene, if cut, could be reserved for the EE.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 11:03am

Post #3 of 222 (10546 views)
Shortcut
     *waves* Hi Kerewyn! [In reply to]  

So happy to see you back Smile

Thanks again Lurker! You should hence-forth also be known as Thread-Starter. Cool

Blush You are most welcome!

Could this scene be setting up 'spectacularly' for Thranduil’s first appearance in BotFA? I don’t want that, because I want to see him in Mirkwood first, making the decision to leave. It’s possible an early scene, if cut, could be reserved for the EE.

I hope to see him in Mirkwood making the big decision too, before we see the Elven army moving out in style. It would be too much of discontinuity to just have HIS MAGNIFICENCE pop up in Dale. And definitely, Thranduil walks to no one. Bard has to pay homage to him!HeartEvilTongue

PS: checked your mail yet?

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 11:10am

Post #4 of 222 (10611 views)
Shortcut
     LoL Card Carrying Thralls [In reply to]  

So this came about because of Avandel OT'ing her own thread about the magnificence of Thranduil in BotFA and the imagery he evoked for her.

I made a quick card for her affliction earlier. Here's the improved one Tongue

(GIMP is still getting the better of me. I had cut the shape out and pasted it on a transparent background and it looked great in GIMP. But well, you can see it's still showing once exported as a JPG Crazy)

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 9 2014, 11:11am

Post #5 of 222 (10558 views)
Shortcut
     Mail checked and replied to :) [In reply to]  

..as I run out the door!
I'll be back tomorrow (Aussie time) with a link to ... that thing I've been promising for a while.
WinkWink

ETA: very much liking this card above!

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 9 2014, 11:14am)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 9 2014, 12:45pm

Post #6 of 222 (10631 views)
Shortcut
     Bard and the elven army [In reply to]  

Well, It's always hard to know what's going through those deliciously devious elvish minds, Smile but when I saw that trailer with the elves turning and making a path for Bard, I just assumed they were recognizing him as Girion's heir. A sort of elvish way of saying, "This is your hour, step up and take your rightful place". He does look confused and surprised, as though he never expected anyone to show him any particular respect in spite of his lineage.

Also, I hadn't thought about it before, but now I'm wondering if Thranduil is going to stick one of his perfectly manicured fingers into the Laketown - Dale politics, and see to it that Bard is restored to the Lordship of Dale, perhaps simply by recognizing Bard and ignoring the Master of Laketown? I wouldn't mind seeing Thranduil coolly pulling some political strings and carelessly swatting the Master down like an annoying mosquito. And he would do it very stylishly. Wink

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 1:27pm

Post #7 of 222 (10512 views)
Shortcut
     *waves good-bye* Enjoy and looking forward to tomorrow [In reply to]  

very much liking this card above!

Thanks!

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 9 2014, 1:27pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 1:30pm

Post #8 of 222 (10506 views)
Shortcut
     Hmmm [In reply to]  

Well, It's always hard to know what's going through those deliciously devious elvish minds, Smile but when I saw that trailer with the elves turning and making a path for Bard, I just assumed they were recognizing him as Girion's heir. A sort of elvish way of saying, "This is your hour, step up and take your rightful place". He does look confused and surprised, as though he never expected anyone to show him any particular respect in spite of his lineage.

Eh, actually with his isolationism, I rather think recognition would not be something he's into anyway re Bard's lineage. Plus these are Elves, don't think it matters much to them.

Also, I hadn't thought about it before, but now I'm wondering if Thranduil is going to stick one of his perfectly manicured fingers into the Laketown - Dale politics, and see to it that Bard is restored to the Lordship of Dale, perhaps simply by recognizing Bard and ignoring the Master of Laketown? I wouldn't mind seeing Thranduil coolly pulling some political strings and carelessly swatting the Master down like an annoying mosquito. And he would do it very stylishly. Wink

oooh, house of cards, Thranduil-style? Me likies HeartAngelic

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 9 2014, 1:34pm

Post #9 of 222 (10506 views)
Shortcut
     *grins* I've got my Hobbit DOS lanyard for my card [In reply to]  

Gonna laminate and everything, after I get RA to sign it.WinkCoolTongueHeart

Well, yes, Thorin Thranduil IS magnificent, wondrous, snow, ice, the sapphire blue of Northern waters, the smell of honey flowers on a summer breeze, with an undercurrent of a bitter dark seductive tang. And above all, this elegant being is such a lovely counterpoint to the fiery, gloriously majestic mountain king.WinkAngelic

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 1:38pm

Post #10 of 222 (10506 views)
Shortcut
     LoL give us a scan of you wearing it when it's signed and all that [In reply to]  

So erm... you want some customisation on your card to make it a little more officious looking? Like a rubber-stamp for example Smile

ETA: Wait! What am I saying! Evil Better yet: do you want the source file to do your own magic on?Evil

ROFLMAO. Well! So profiteering and exploiting thralldom isn't something novel either.

Well, yes, Thorin Thranduil IS magnificent, wondrous, snow, ice, the sapphire blue of Northern waters, the smell of honey flowers on a summer breeze, with an undercurrent of a bitter dark seductive tang. And above all, this elegant being is such a lovely counterpoint to the fiery, gloriously majestic mountain king.WinkAngelic

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 9 2014, 1:43pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2014, 5:50pm

Post #11 of 222 (10471 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, I think they have to show him sooner [In reply to]  

IMO, there would be no point in them waiting that long to show Thranduil for the first time in BotFA. We need to see him make the decision to leave Mirkwood because going from "Other lands are not my concern" to stepping out the door and leaving his realm to get involved in the affairs of other people is a major turning point for him. This scene may be the first time we see him in armor though, which could explain why it's set up so dramatically.

Now that everyone's saying it, I agree that Bard will most likely have to walk down the path to Thranduil instead of the other way around. A king shouldn't have to walk up all those steps after all! Bard needs to come to him!Smile

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 9 2014, 6:13pm

Post #12 of 222 (10504 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil in TH:TBotFA [In reply to]  

In Reply To

Unlikely; this scene seems to take place at Erebor or the ruins of Dale. We should have a shot where the Elvenking first learns of Smaug's demise and decides to march for Erebor. Also, before Thranduil and his army reach the Lonely Mountain, he should hear about the plight of the survivors of Lake-town and divert to the Long Lake, which is where he and Bard should meet for the first time.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2014, 6:16pm

Post #13 of 222 (10475 views)
Shortcut
     Oooooh, yesssss! re The Master [In reply to]  

The Master is indeed an annoying mosquito compared to Thranduil's fabulousness! I look forward to the groveling that will no doubt ensue should the Master and Thranduil meet face to face.Evil I half wonder if Thranduil would even address the Master by this point in the story since Bard is clearly the more competent one here.

I can see it now: Thranduil arrives in all his magnificence and we see the Master almost tripping over himself to do the obligatory brown-nosing. Meanwhile, Thranduil just gives him a condescending look, says something along the lines of, "Ok, who's REALLY in charge around here?" and then only acknowledges Bard's opinions from that moment on. Laugh

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2014, 6:44pm

Post #14 of 222 (10487 views)
Shortcut
     Hooray! [In reply to]  

We'll be on thread X before you know it! Lovin' the Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon, btw.Heart For those who are new to the TA thread, we probably sound like we're speaking in code sometimes.Tongue

In celebration of the new thread, I have found purty new artwork! (clicky for originals/bigger pics)

Thranduil with petals:

Armored Thranduil (I love the shiny elements!):

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 10 2014, 12:24am

Post #15 of 222 (10431 views)
Shortcut
     oooh - a new pretty [In reply to]  

one of my favorite Deviant Art artists. So I won't go in and paint out those watermarks *cough*. EvilEvilEvilEvilEvil

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 10 2014, 12:47am

Post #16 of 222 (10412 views)
Shortcut
     Yay fanart [In reply to]  

Thanks for the Pretty!, Eruvandi. I've been waiting on that first one to get done - evankart kept having it on WIP. And that second oneHeart is just what I was ambitiously aiming for, for the image on the OP but welp, it's too much for my meagre GIMP right nowEvil

Lovin' the Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon, btw.Heart For those who are new to the TA thread, we probably sound like we're speaking in code sometimes.Tongue

hee, yeah. I thought it might help ease newbies in, or infrequent fly-bys

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 10 2014, 12:51am

Post #17 of 222 (10413 views)
Shortcut
     Heh. Just harking back to that discussion [In reply to]  

between you, Kerewyn and meself about this and LoL re the Master.

Liking the thought about how things might play out, but with the PJ aim to keep runtime to a stinkin miserable 2.5 hours, we wonders if we're going to get all that we want, and for our favourites to get their fair share of screentimeEvil I just hates for the EE to become the excuse for not putting relevant things in the TE vs things PJ thinks is cool but doesn't help the plot along. CrazyMadPirateUnsureUnimpressedFrown

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 10 2014, 12:53am

Post #18 of 222 (10405 views)
Shortcut
     Yup! Thanks for laying it out, Sempai// [In reply to]  

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 10 2014, 1:12am

Post #19 of 222 (10423 views)
Shortcut
     He might moose his way through if Bubba's rack can fit [In reply to]  

Now that everyone's saying it, I agree that Bard will most likely have to walk down the path to Thranduil instead of the other way around. A king shouldn't have to walk up all those steps after all! Bard needs to come to him!Smile

But since Bubba's probably got spatial challenges in Dale, Bard's got the honour of going to Thranduil Angelic

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 10 2014, 5:14am

Post #20 of 222 (10436 views)
Shortcut
     With pleasure, and some trepidation... [In reply to]  

I have finally joined the sillyness and posted my own Thrall Wars response, as promised many weeks ago to Avandel and Lurker. It is here, "hidden" below Thrall Wars pt 3, but also relevant to it, as an off-shoot story:

Thrall Wars III: An Unexpected Flashback

Enjoy. Smile

Meanwhile, I am very much enjoying that image of Thranduil in petals. Some people are SO talented! They've got his face just perfect. If this is 'spring Thranduil' though, I would like to see a spring crown.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 10 2014, 5:24am

Post #21 of 222 (10416 views)
Shortcut
     oooh... finally! *runs over to the fan art board pronto* [In reply to]  

Oh boy, more TW goodness!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 10 2014, 6:13am

Post #22 of 222 (10414 views)
Shortcut
     Addendum: Review post posted! [In reply to]  

That was some ROFL goodness there, Kerewyn! ... now I'm inspired to get more done with TW5EvilBlushCrazyTongue

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 10 2014, 4:31pm

Post #23 of 222 (10403 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah Kerewyn! [In reply to]  

Will go look later! - I've GOT to get some drudgery done, so this will be my reward *drool* e.g. I messed about yesterday but things need to get doneMadFrownFrownFrown.

And I want to LUXURIATE in the reading - I feel excited! 'Coz now *sigh* even HACF is done for the seasonFrown and I used to kind of plan around it. And gotta check my e-mailWink Am glad it's up SQUEEEE!!!!!Heart

Between clips and images and stuff just feels like things have been Hobbit-loaded this week, and I wasn't expecting that - all the LP goodness (compared to last year when we were desperate for stuffUnsure)

LOL if folks really like the Thranduil image I can PS it, including the crown, or try to. But it will be a lo-res posted image as compared to the original.Unsure

delius82
Rivendell

Aug 10 2014, 9:27pm

Post #24 of 222 (10346 views)
Shortcut
     Resemblance [In reply to]  

Is it just me or doesn't Thranduil resemble Lucius Malfoy on some level? Must be the blond hair.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 10 2014, 10:01pm

Post #25 of 222 (10335 views)
Shortcut
     Yes! [In reply to]  

Also the snobbery, hauteur, elaborate wardrobe, and his staff/walking stick thingy (instead of Lucius's trademark cane/wand).

A lot of superficial similarities there. Though the not being a servant of a DarK Lord is an important difference. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.