The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCOD: Sam and Rosie's Wedding

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Aug 7 2014, 7:27pm

Post #1 of 4 (698 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Sam and Rosie's Wedding Can't Post

Welcome to another Screencap Of The Day.

Full-sized image here.

1) Did you like the fact that we are shown this wedding scene?
2) What do you think this shows the audience about Sam's character in the light of what he has been through?
3) Why do you think that Sam is able to build a life for himself after he returns to the Shire while Frodo cannot?
4) Any other thoughts or comments about this scene?

Feel free to answer any or all the questions. Have fun! Wink

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 4:37pm

Post #2 of 4 (537 views)
Shortcut
Great pic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it was sweet and provided a nice counterpoint to the melancholy pervading the last moments of the film.

2) What do you think this shows the audience about Sam's character in the light of what he has been through?

Hmmm I see a simple person here, with a simple faith (which is sometimes the best kind).

3) Why do you think that Sam is able to build a life for himself after he returns to the Shire while Frodo cannot?

Big question... conventional wisdom dictates that some people bounce back easier than others. However PTSD has no shelf life, so hypothetically Sam could be headed for a crash later in life.

Maybe it's because he had someone he was looking forward to building a life together with?

Or maybe it's because he succeeded in his mission to accompany Frodo all the way, where as Frodo sort of failed in his mission to destroy the ring, had it not been for Gollum.

... or maybe it's a case of how life in the real world -- or the Middle-earth equivalent of the real world -- sometimes seems meaningless once you've "peeked through the veil," "stared into the abyss," or "been to the other side."

Sorry my answers are more about film Frodo than the screencap you posted. But that's Sam, the un-Frodo (Gollum is the anti-Frodo).

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 8 2014, 4:38pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 7:07pm

Post #3 of 4 (486 views)
Shortcut
What a lovely wedding photo :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone should have such a good wedding photographer Wink.

Yes very much. It was simple and happy and joyous, the way I like to think of Hobbits. And I also like that it showed that Sam was capable of being very devoted to a friend and also able to devote himself to a new life with a spouse.

It could be interpreted that he is more resilient than Frodo, however Merry and Pippin also are shown as bouncing back (literally, in the reunion scene, I guess :-)) from the horrors and sadness of what they'd all experienced. Hobbits in general are very resilient. But then no one went through what Frodo endured, so it isn't really the same. And Frodo seemed to feel he had failed in what he had set out to do (despite the Ring having been destroyed), whereas Sam and the others felt they had succeeded in what they had set out to do. Lastly, I don't think either Frodo or Bilbo were able to go on for long, without the Ring.

Because Sam is in that truly blissful place where his conscience is completely clear. Frodo, on the other hand, I think, felt guilt. Felt that he had failed, and felt guilt over his inability to give up the Ring had it not been for Gollum.

I can't tell if those are only flowers or also ribbons in her headpiece. But Rosie should have ribbons in her hair, the way Sam described her at Mt Doom... "Rosie Cotton dancing. She had ribbons in her hair."
And I thought the actress who plays Rosie was just perfect!

cliffmiller

Jan 12 2015, 1:21am

Post #4 of 4 (445 views)
Shortcut
i like the last moments of the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course! i like the last moments of the film.
I see a man who is kind!
Maybe it's because he had someone he was looking forward to building a life together with?
I thought the actress who plays Rosie was just perfect! Wink

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jan 12 2015, 1:50am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.