Jackson has made a mess of the hobbit films
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Axeman21
The Shire

Aug 7 2014, 2:45pm

Post #1 of 31 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Jackson has made a mess of the hobbit films Can't Post

Having been watching The Lord of the rings trilogy , can any one tell why legolas has brown eyes in The Lord of the rings films but in the hobit he has blue eyes? Also in The Lord of the ring films Gimli is about shoulder height on legolas and Arogon yet the dwarves look ever so small in the hobbit against men and elves is Gimli very tall I think not its a complete mess. Far more care has been taken in h Lotr films. The hobbit is just a money making machine taking advantage of nerds.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 2:49pm

Post #2 of 31 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Legolas mostly has blue eyes in LOTR, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Though there are a few scenes where they either forgot his contacts or the lighting makes them look darker, he's definitely meant to have blue eyes in the LOTR movie trilogy.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Axeman21
The Shire

Aug 7 2014, 2:52pm

Post #3 of 31 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Legola [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching the two towers right now his eyes are most brown

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 7 2014, 2:55pm

Post #4 of 31 (1135 views)
Shortcut
Um... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have any criticisms that involve more than trite, superficial details?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 7 2014, 2:56pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 3:06pm

Post #5 of 31 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Screencaps [In reply to] Can't Post

These are all from The Two Towers:

http://www.framecaplib.com/...j=0x0000000000010000

There are definitely times when his eyes look darker, but they did put Orlando Bloom into blue contacts for the LOTR trilogy.

My Costuming Site

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 3:07pm

Post #6 of 31 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Why didn't anyone tell me I was being taken advantage of? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess we nerds are always the last to know. Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Aug 7 2014, 3:07pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 3:18pm

Post #7 of 31 (1048 views)
Shortcut
You didn't get the memo? // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Costuming Site

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 3:42pm

Post #8 of 31 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Everyone kept yelling, "Cast it into the fire!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 3:54pm

Post #9 of 31 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Weren't they irritating his eyes at times? [In reply to] Can't Post

Them they forgot to tint them in the editing. It's noticeable but my favorite oops is not photoshopping in Eomer at the end of Two Towers.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 4:24pm

Post #10 of 31 (1062 views)
Shortcut
It's a pain, isn't it - they didn't tell me either.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And all that time I've spent reading the story when the things that really mattered were Gimli's height and the colour of Legolas's eyes..... such a waste!

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 4:30pm

Post #11 of 31 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Such a shame! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here I was enjoying myself tremendously, when I ought to have been miserable! Unsure

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 7 2014, 4:39pm

Post #12 of 31 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Film is forever. Blindness is also forever. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the LOTR films Bloom found he couldn't continually wear the blue contact lenses over the entire 15 month shooting schedule because they tended to scratch his corneas. To keep from losing his sight he had to take breaks from wearing them, meaning sometimes Legolas had brown eyes.

Note that he doesn't have nearly as much screen time in The Hobbit films so he doesn't have to wear the contact lenses as frequently as he did during LOTR.

Obviously Jackson puts the health of his actors over any consideration for fanboi angst caused by minor continuity errors. I wholeheartedly support his choice.

And no, it wouldn't have been easy-peasy to correct it in post-production. Funding was tight (Jackson already had to cut several of his favorite FX because of budget reasons), as was time (Originally the LOTR films were to have been released six months apart. Jackson had to argue and argue that that schedule was impossible and that they needed at least 12 months between films to complete all the editing and FX for each film. Even then, obviously, some things had to fall by the wayside.)

As for Gimli, his tall stature in LOTR was deliberate, to emphasize his fatherly attitude towards the, as he calls them, "young hobbits". Such a size differential is not used in The Hobbit because Bilbo's relationship to the Dwarves in The Company is more that of an equal. That is, the reason for the degrees of size differential is subliminal character development.

In Reply To
The hobbit is just a money making machine taking advantage of nerds.

And all films are just shadows on a screen, ontologies in the simplest of elements. Why does anyone pay good money for such an ephemeral product?

“The opinions that are held with passion are always those for which no good ground exists; indeed the passion is the measure of the holders lack of rational conviction. Opinions in politics and religion are almost always held passionately.”
-Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

Name
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 6:43pm

Post #13 of 31 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Another one of these threads.... [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 7:00pm

Post #14 of 31 (989 views)
Shortcut
I wish they did his eyes digitally [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering how much of the film was colour graded anyway.

Digitally coloured eyes look much more convincing than contact lenses. I don't see why contact lenses are still used in films. Crazy

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 7 2014, 7:12pm

Post #15 of 31 (961 views)
Shortcut
Color grading versus color correction. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the same thing.

And changing eye color would be a secondary color correction process, which is a third thing.

I won't even mention master color correction, which is a fourth thing.

TL;DR: Easier, quicker, cheaper to use colored contact lenses.

“The opinions that are held with passion are always those for which no good ground exists; indeed the passion is the measure of the holders lack of rational conviction. Opinions in politics and religion are almost always held passionately.”
-Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

dubulous
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 7:31pm

Post #16 of 31 (970 views)
Shortcut
The height of the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually always thought Gimli was often too tall in the LotR. Being able to use new technology to get a more accurate and consistant scale for the dwarves is not, IMO, making a mess of the Hobbit films. I'd say it's more like the opposite. They are supposed to be dwarves, not short humans.

I'm not saying the Hobbit films are perfect (there are many things I dislike about DoS in particular) but I feel like a lot of these complaints seem to sprout from looking at the LotR movies through some sort of rose tinted spectacles that make everything look so much better, even when it sometimes isn't.

(This post was edited by dubulous on Aug 7 2014, 7:32pm)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 8:06pm

Post #17 of 31 (877 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Gimli was tall for a Dwarf - [In reply to] Can't Post

- My older son towered over some adults back when he was eleven. Smile

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 7 2014, 9:00pm

Post #18 of 31 (822 views)
Shortcut
I think that there are some individual differences [In reply to] Can't Post

among members of the same race.
Not all men are the same height, not all dwarves are the same height, aren't they?

So Gimli is" very tall", the Durins (well, two of them) are tall, Dwalin is taller than Balin...
I see nothing strange here or inaccurate...
By the way, Thranduil is taller than his son (and it's a fairly unusual thing) but nobody has complained about it..
I haven't for sureWink

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Aug 7 2014, 9:04pm

Post #19 of 31 (805 views)
Shortcut
Now it can be told: It was the Ent-Draughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Little-known fact, Gimli snuck into Fangorn as a youngster and stole some drinks, along with some firewood.

That's why the forest was upset to see him again in LOTR.

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 7 2014, 9:08pm

Post #20 of 31 (846 views)
Shortcut
Coincidentally [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a discussion on dwarf and hobbit heights on Main right now.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 10:04pm

Post #21 of 31 (737 views)
Shortcut
Now that you mention it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I actually always thought Gimli was often too tall in the LotR. Being able to use new technology to get a more accurate and consistant scale for the dwarves is not, IMO, making a mess of the Hobbit films. I'd say it's more like the opposite. They are supposed to be dwarves, not short humans.

I'm not saying the Hobbit films are perfect (there are many things I dislike about DoS in particular) but I feel like a lot of these complaints seem to sprout from looking at the LotR movies through some sort of rose tinted spectacles that make everything look so much better, even when it sometimes isn't.

I distinctly remember John Rhys-Davies saying that, proportionally he was the right height against Elijah Wood for that dwarf-to-hobbit ratio. His body-double was about 4'9", and it was probably more consistent (though I could spot when it was John and when it was the body-double). So I'd have to agree that in The Hobbit PJ wasn't consistent with his LoTR ratio, unless the goal was to emphasize THE Hobbit in "The Hobbit." And I do feel that in several places the dwarves are too short against humans, again going with the LoTR ratio of Gimli-Aragorn. Of course, some of that might be due to the 3D/HD/48fps technology that didn't exist during filming of LoTR. PJ did say that some of the tricks they used in LoTR wouldn't work in 3D, hmmm, maybe more advanced technology DOESN'T make a better film???

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 10:21pm

Post #22 of 31 (766 views)
Shortcut
I'm lovin' throwing money at the Hobbit films [In reply to] Can't Post

Rarely have I enjoyed expenditures so much *snuggles* self in happiness. Movies! Books! A replica sword! My Erebor keychain! Posters and prints! A tech upgrade w. super cables - behold the glory of Blu-ray and my first sound bar!

How I wish there were three more movies w. the same cast. I wanna get taken advantage of some more!HeartHeartHeart

Having been watching The Lord of the rings trilogy , can any one tell why legolas has brown eyes in The Lord of the rings films but in the hobit he has blue eyes? Also in The Lord of the ring films Gimli is about shoulder height on legolas and Arogon yet the dwarves look ever so small in the hobbit against men and elves is Gimli very tall I think not its a complete mess. Far more care has been taken in h Lotr films. The hobbit is just a money making machine taking advantage of nerds.

What? I'm sorry, I'm too busy re-watching the DOS EE clip SQUUUUEEEEEE!!!!!!HeartHeartHeartTongueTongueTongue

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 10:39pm

Post #23 of 31 (698 views)
Shortcut
They did. [In reply to] Can't Post

They did 'do his eyes' digitally in DoS. That's part of the reason for his zombie look – you can see it really well even in stills from the trailer for the next film.

In LotR at least his appearance was natural, whether his eyes were blue or brown. He did not have the stiff-faced, older look of the character in DoS – particularly unattractive when he tries to look grim because of the thin lips.

In passing, I wouldn't say that the reasons the OP has given in any way prove that PJ has 'made a mess' in general of The Hobbit films.

In Reply To
I wish they did his eyes digitally. Considering how much of the film was colour graded anyway.

Digitally coloured eyes look much more convincing than contact lenses. I don't see why contact lenses are still used in films. Crazy

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Aug 7 2014, 10:53pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 8 2014, 12:19am

Post #24 of 31 (676 views)
Shortcut
Technological advancement [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm all for it.

If somebody wants to put on their pioneer hat and attempt to push the envelope, then I will be a source of encouragement and cheer them on.

Yes, mistakes will occur; that is a commonality of any endeavour. But the effort is worthwhile when the intention is to enhance the overall experience.

My job, as a viewer, is to exercise suspension of disbelief to the best of my ability. Thus, I am willing to let the ambitious innovator try his imperfect innovations out on me in an attempt to propel the art form forward by delivering something admirably new and fresh.

PJ's approach to the art of filmmaking is similar to a snake shedding its skin.

It must be done.

So yes! Give me that awesomely immersive 3D! Give me that deliciously clear high definition picture quality! And give me that naturally smooth and hyper realistic high frame rate.

Strive to enhance!Smile

In Reply To
PJ did say that some of the tricks they used in LoTR wouldn't work in 3D, hmmm, maybe more advanced technology DOESN'T make a better film???

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Aug 8 2014, 12:33am)

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 12:43am

Post #25 of 31 (635 views)
Shortcut
Well said. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.