Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Largely bogus.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 20 2008, 11:50pm

Views: 90
Shortcut
Largely bogus. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with A.E., as noted in the discussion to which I linked above. Just the FotR images, in the order shown on that site:

Nasmith's image of the hobbits departing the Buckland is pretty accurate to the book, with a diving path through red brick walls. The film's image of Gandalf driving down a lane in the Shire has walls of larger stone, and a level path. The overgrown stone reminds me as much as the neighborhood in Peter Jackson's mockumentary, Forgotten Silver, as it does Nasmith's picture.

The film image of the stone trolls is similar to Nasmith's only in presenting, more-or-less, the same scene from the book.

The landscape across the river in the first Ford of Bruinen images is not the same, and Jackson has the white horse in the river, not on shore.

The second set of Ford of Bruinen images aren't alike at all.

Gandalf's escape from Isengard is most definitely not "the exact same shot angle" in both images.

The next comparison has only in common an eagle flying over snowy mountains.

Nasmith's and the film's image of the Moria-gate both rely on Tolkien's own design and description. Gandalf is not facing the same direction in these shots.

Regarding Aragorn and Arwen, that site says, "All they've done is added a bridge and darkened everything." As if that wouldn't result in two very different images. And it's not true anyway.

The Caradhras shots are rather similar -- chalk it up to homage?

The film shot of the Watcher in the Water is also rather similar to Nasmith's painting -- but lacking his bright green glow!

There is not much "similarity in the angle of the shot" between the two balrog images.

The film's Argonath rise from the stream, while Nasmith's stand on the cliffs above. The figures' arms in both cases are wrong.

Boromir's horn blowing looks no more alike between the images than one might expect of any two artists.

His death in Nasmith and Jackson looks even more different.

Revisiting that site reminds me how poor most of Nasmith's faces are.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Feb. 18-24 for "A Journey in the Dark".

Subject User Time
Ted Nasmith to be hired as a concept artist for The Hobbit? Mecandes Send a private message to Mecandes Feb 16 2008, 6:59pm
    Nasmith's awesome Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty Feb 16 2008, 10:38pm
    Ted Nasmith... Jazmine Send a private message to Jazmine Feb 16 2008, 10:57pm
    He's great! Nimloth Send a private message to Nimloth Feb 17 2008, 3:42am
        I thought ted and Michael Hague would be good additions. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 17 2008, 4:45am
            Yes! Anarrima Send a private message to Anarrima Feb 18 2008, 9:15pm
                Technically Howe and Nasmith are more photo-realistic, yet AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 19 2008, 6:41am
    Nasmith's Great, But... Voorhas Send a private message to Voorhas Feb 17 2008, 6:26am
    Actually Kyriel Send a private message to Kyriel Feb 17 2008, 2:20pm
        If they have any sense of decency, they'll add Ted Nasmith to The Hobbit art team Mecandes Send a private message to Mecandes Feb 17 2008, 2:43pm
            trouble is Annael Send a private message to Annael Feb 17 2008, 4:51pm
                Inspired more by Ted Nasmith's paintings than Tolkien's words Mecandes Send a private message to Mecandes Feb 20 2008, 12:59am
            Nasmith's possible influence on the films... N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Feb 17 2008, 11:07pm
            I guess we will find out . . MrCere Send a private message to MrCere Feb 18 2008, 7:33pm
                Look at Ted Nasmith's work and decide for yourself if he influenced Jackson's films Mecandes Send a private message to Mecandes Feb 20 2008, 12:31am
                    I just looked and I say it's bogus. Advising Elf Send a private message to Advising Elf Feb 20 2008, 6:12pm
                    Largely bogus. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Feb 20 2008, 11:50pm
        What she said MrCere Send a private message to MrCere Feb 18 2008, 7:22pm
            Yep. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Feb 18 2008, 10:24pm
    Love his work! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 17 2008, 2:24pm
    Finding the right visual style for The Hobbit... burrahobbit Send a private message to burrahobbit Feb 17 2008, 9:18pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.