The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Curious question by Gandalf in AUJ

Kagemusha
The Shire

Aug 6 2014, 1:45pm

Post #1 of 7 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Curious question by Gandalf in AUJ Can't Post

Perhaps this question has been broached before, but in AUJ Gandalf askes Thorin who he told besides his kin after they're attacked by wargs. Now Gandalf knows Thorin is being hunted, so why the question? Orcs are obviously skilled hunters and would have easily tracked a 15 member party through the wild... any ideas?

greenbalrog
Bree

Aug 6 2014, 1:49pm

Post #2 of 7 (642 views)
Shortcut
Well, apart from their kin, perhaps mentioning it at... [In reply to] Can't Post

An inn? Sorry, can't do better than that.

The wild-man in The Prancing Pony did see him in Bree.

That's an interesting question though. However, perhaps we're trying too hard to find something important in that question than is required?

(This post was edited by greenbalrog on Aug 6 2014, 1:56pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 6 2014, 1:54pm

Post #3 of 7 (616 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he thought that the assassins must have lost track of Thorin. And he also did not know that a whole Orc pack was hunting Thorin... he only knew of some "gangsters" out there to make some money.

That an organized Orc pack is hunting them must already be troubling for Gandalf.

Even more so considering how big Eriador is - the chances are not that big to find them unless you have some idea of where to look for Thorin and his Company.

Later Gandalf specifically refers to the Great East Road several times... he must wonder "How did they know we would be on that road?".

That is probably why he fears the Orcs already know that the quest leads to Erebor. The information Bolg sends to Dol Guldur also underlines that they indeed know the reason for the Quest... and that Sauron knows as well. Although by that time it is not a hard guess anymore, of course.

I wonder whether the Thrain episodes may have something to do with it... does Sauron know about Gandalf urging Thrain to march on the mountain? And therefore realized as soon as he learns of Thorin and Gandalf's collaboration that Gandalf will now "use" Thorin to claim the mountain?

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 6 2014, 1:56pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2014, 3:28pm

Post #4 of 7 (478 views)
Shortcut
Yes I think it is a question of scale. [In reply to] Can't Post

A few cut throats, Gandalf is aware of, but a full Orc pack with Wargs from Gundabad seems to be another order of threat, one which Gandalf doesn't yet understand.

Even Saruman alludes to the fact that an Orc pack crossing the Bruinen is a rarity (though he disagrees with the cause) so Gandalf is searching for an explanation for how they come to be there hunting for Thorin.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 5:46am

Post #5 of 7 (309 views)
Shortcut
the unexpected party didn't happen the next day [In reply to] Can't Post

after they met at the prancing pony. Thorin could have mentioned it to someone, i think Gandalf was pretty upset that the orcs were onto them and he took it out on Thorin.

The flames of war are upon you..

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Aug 7 2014, 5:46am)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 5:21pm

Post #6 of 7 (211 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if in BO5A [In reply to] Can't Post

We will see what Thorin was doing in-between meeting Gandalf and the unexpected party, maybe a flashback to Thorin recruiting each dwarf/dwarf family for the quest?

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Aug 7 2014, 5:21pm)

TnuaccayM
Bree

Aug 7 2014, 8:20pm

Post #7 of 7 (181 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he knew... [In reply to] Can't Post

but his reaction maybe because of what he heard about the Necromancer from Radagast. And maybe he didn't know that orcs where hunting him too, and it could be that after hearing about a Necromancer, that could be Sauron, he started wonder if there could be any connection.

And, if Thorin had actually told someone else about the quest it may had made sense for orcs to hunt him, but he didn't.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.