The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dragon Sickness and the effect on Thorinīs voice

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2014, 8:20am

Post #1 of 5 (604 views)
Shortcut
Dragon Sickness and the effect on Thorinīs voice Can't Post

I watched the new trailer dubed to Spanish, and in the line when Thorin sais "I will have war" his voice is shifted with some kind of distorsion and reminds me to the voice of Smaug with somber tones and deeper notes...

I thougth they had changed the actor who dubes Thorin but later when he says, "Yu would follow me one last time" is voice is again the same as it has being on the other two movies

I dont know if this has been a later decision of the studio or PJ, the spanish trailer has been released a week later or so

Here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2425787723&feature=iv&src_vid=ylmZME4-cOU&v=kpz_6t536CE

Interesting...

Edit: I have been watching it again and CLEARLY they have somehow altered Thorinīs voice to attach it to the dragon

In the english version its noticeble too but in the spanish one is TOO obvious. Lovely detailSmile

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Survivor to The Battle for The Fifth Trailer

(This post was edited by Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) on Aug 6 2014, 8:23am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 6 2014, 8:41am

Post #2 of 5 (379 views)
Shortcut
I thought that in the English version... [In reply to] Can't Post

On the word 'war' there's an echo of Smaug's voice coming through Thorin's.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2014, 11:08am

Post #3 of 5 (310 views)
Shortcut
And that is lovely, isnt it? [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Survivor to The Battle for The Fifth Trailer

glor
Rohan

Aug 6 2014, 11:53am

Post #4 of 5 (308 views)
Shortcut
I don't think 'they' have altered Thorin's voice [In reply to] Can't Post

As in the sound department/SFX people. I do however, think RA has altered Thorin's voice to reflect the dragon sickness and yes, he is perfectly capable of reaching the subterranean levels required to achieve that effect without any assistance from the sound department. 1200 people a night at the Old Vic could testify to that!

Gandy
Bree

Aug 7 2014, 9:03pm

Post #5 of 5 (135 views)
Shortcut
2 voices [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe at all that they're altering Thoring to sound like Smaug. It's simply Smaug's voice played over Thorin's simultaneously for effect. Specifically, for effect in the trailer only. For shock. It's not Thorin's voice. Listen closely, it's obviously Smaug being overlaid on Thorin's voice. Not a pitch shift of Thorin.

So, the conclusion: This is for trailer shock only. Not for the final film. At some point, Smaug says "War!" and it provided a good chance for shock value in a teaser trailer.

I hope Smaug's "War!" is not part of a line like "Sauron is bringing war! And I will be a part of the battle of five armies because Sauron has possessed me, thus bringing to you the most roller coastery doom every rendered on a server farm. My Lord has also possessed Jackson to have Legolas surf down the entire length of my body, awkwardly and stiffly, and land with his eyes so close to the camera you can see his contact lenses, such as were Thranduil's eyes in DOS."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.