Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How did Smaug know? I mean, how did he know for sure?

greenbalrog
Bree

Aug 5 2014, 2:39pm

Post #1 of 13 (1208 views)
Shortcut
How did Smaug know? I mean, how did he know for sure? Can't Post

Just finished my nth watch of DOS, and, yes, it's better and better the more times you watch it. And, I feel that I didn't reach the emotional plateau yet.

Now, to the question. How does Smaug know that Bilbo had come from Laketown? Which makes the movie events cascade from that point forward, including all the BOFA events.

I mean, it's a probable location for Bilbo to have come from, since it's the nearest town and all, if you exclude Dale that is. But, as I finished my watch just now (and I had the same doubt the last time I watched), how did Smaug conclude immediately that Bilbo had came from Laketown when they entered The Hall of Kings?

Again, it's probable, but I was expecting that some piece of clothes, jewelry could denounce Bilbo and Laketown? Was it the "Barrel Rider" thing?

Anyway, just felt curious about this one and thought of asking you guys what's your take on this Smile

(This post was edited by greenbalrog on Aug 5 2014, 2:42pm)

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Aug 5 2014, 2:44pm

Post #2 of 13 (836 views)
Shortcut
He guessed from Bilbo calling himself Barrel Rider. [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering that Laketown is known to trade goods in barrels, I guess he just put two and two together.

shadowdog
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 3:09pm

Post #3 of 13 (829 views)
Shortcut
From what I remember from the book [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug guesses he came from Lake town when he mentions "barrel rider".

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 3:13pm

Post #4 of 13 (800 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's the barrels. This from the book: [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo says:

I wish to goodness I had never said that about Barrel-rider; it would make even a blind rabbit in these parts think of the Lake-men.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Aug 5 2014, 3:14pm)

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 3:42pm

Post #5 of 13 (750 views)
Shortcut
doesn't Smaug mention Bilbo smelling like Laketown too? [In reply to] Can't Post

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Aug 5 2014, 4:01pm

Post #6 of 13 (744 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe that he "suddenly" knew when they entered the Hall [In reply to] Can't Post

He probably had the idea early on, and, finally being fed up with his game of cat and mouse, he decided to go wreak havoc.

greenbalrog
Bree

Aug 5 2014, 4:02pm

Post #7 of 13 (736 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the quote [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bilbo says:

I wish to goodness I had never said that about Barrel-rider; it would make even a blind rabbit in these parts think of the Lake-men.

That explains it for book readers, which is not my case. That's why I wasn't so sure about it. Thanks again.

(This post was edited by greenbalrog on Aug 5 2014, 4:08pm)

greenbalrog
Bree

Aug 5 2014, 4:04pm

Post #8 of 13 (757 views)
Shortcut
Ok, but still... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Bilbo had already mentioned the "Barrel Rider" line to Smaug when they first met. I know I'm nitpicking, believe me I wouldn't if I didn't love these movies so much.

greenbalrog
Bree

Aug 5 2014, 4:07pm

Post #9 of 13 (740 views)
Shortcut
You know, I got the opposite impression myself [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He probably had the idea early on, and, finally being fed up with his game of cat and mouse, he decided to go wreak havoc.

When I see that scene in "The Hall of Kings" I feel like Smaug suddenly realized it. That's why I got curious to know exactly what had sparkled that sudden impression of him. Since after all, Bilbo had already mentioned to Smaug that he was a "Barrel Rider" some scenes before.

(This post was edited by greenbalrog on Aug 5 2014, 4:10pm)

shadowdog
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 4:36pm

Post #10 of 13 (707 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think Smaug kept the questions up to gain as much information as possible as to why Bilbo was there and what he was after.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 4:58pm

Post #11 of 13 (710 views)
Shortcut
Here's an excerpt from the conversation between Bilbo and Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug: "Who are you, and where do you come from, may I ask?"
Bilbo: "I- I come from under the hill."
Smaug: "Underhill?"
Bilbo: "And under hills and over hills my path has led. And, and, through the air. I am he who walks unseen."
Smaug: "Impressive. What else do you claim to be?"
Bilbo: "I am... luck-wearer. Riddle-maker."
Smaug: "Lovely titles; go on."
Bilbo: "Barrel-rider."
Smaug: "Barrels? Now that is interesting." (my emphasis)

Note Smaug's response to "Barrel-rider". He goes to ask about Bilbo's "little dwarf friends" next as he is clearly more interested in that at the moment. Later, when his attempts to kill the dwarves fail, he decides to go wreak havoc on Lake-town, because he believes that there is "some sort of scheme hatched between these filthy dwarves and those miserable cup-trading Lakemen". He's determined to destroy something: if he can't get the dwarves, then he'll have the Lakemen (and come back to the dwarves later, I trust). He made the connection between "Barrel-rider" and Lake-town as soon as Bilbo mentioned barrels, but decided to "pay [Lake-town] a visit" after his failure to kill the dwarves.

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Aug 5 2014, 5:09pm)

greenbalrog
Bree

Aug 5 2014, 7:58pm

Post #12 of 13 (638 views)
Shortcut
"Barrels? Now that is interesting." <-- Agreed, but [In reply to] Can't Post

So, Smaug says that in the first instance Bilbo mentions: "Barrel-Rider". That can help explain why he didn't do anything immediately but only when he was getting a bit distressed by the dwarves later on in "The Hall of Kings" when Bilbo says it again.

So, OK, that helps understand it better, but it's still a subtle one! I for instance didn't make that connection while seeing DOS for more than 6-8 times Shocked

I'm happy with everyone's answers, thanks.

Rickster
Rohan

Aug 8 2014, 12:18am

Post #13 of 13 (514 views)
Shortcut
that is an easy one. He caled himself a Barrel rider.. [In reply to] Can't Post

SMaug repeats it .. as he knows now what is happening

Barrel rider... the way Smaug says it is amazingly cool.. as if he chews on the words

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.