DOS EE exclusive clip and official announcement
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Aug 5 2014, 7:51am

Post #1 of 113 (4029 views)
Shortcut
DOS EE exclusive clip and official announcement Can't Post

Over at Yahoo they have an exclusive clip from the EE in Mirkwood (a wonderful scene at that) and also the official announcement of 25 minutes of extra footage and a picture of the blu ray box. I am pretty happy with 25 minutes of extra footage, I was hoping for about this much - hopefully it will iron out some of the pacing problems I had with DOS.

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-extended-93856081591.html?cmp=ukfb

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

(This post was edited by BilboBagshot187 on Aug 5 2014, 7:54am)

Azaghâl
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 8:13am

Post #2 of 113 (2229 views)
Shortcut
And PJ disappoints again [In reply to] Can't Post

a very tense scene from the book is turned into pure comic relief.. WHY DOES HE NEVER STICK TO THE BOOK??? Can't be pacing in this instance.

To begin with I think his version of Mirkwood is too far from Tolkiens. The forrest is not psychedelic and twisted, it's extremely dark and neverending. The movie version was always too light for my taste.

Well the positive is that we get more of Bilbo and that they actually give us a great scene from the books.

I am not looking forward to the DOS EE as much now.. Unsure

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 8:17am

Post #3 of 113 (1950 views)
Shortcut
Nice find! [In reply to] Can't Post

And good scene though a bit too "lightly" imho. I appreciate everything that will enhance the "on the road" feeling of the journey. In the TE the entrance into Mirkwood, the spiders and the Woodland Realm followed so quickly after one another that one had the feeling they were only in there for a couple of hours. This ropped Mirkwood some of its significance.

Clickable:

https://uk.yahoo.com/...081591.html?cmp=ukfb

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 5 2014, 8:31am)

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 8:30am

Post #4 of 113 (2053 views)
Shortcut
I think Bombur's 'accident' was always going to be done lightly [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought they'd play it completely straight, with the suggestion that Bombur might be seriously injured. I guess this scene plays into that.

Still this is 2 minutes and you suspect there's a lot more to play out with Bombur. The additions to Mirkwood could top 5 minutes alone, which is great given that the opening half hour needs as much fleshing out as possible.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 9:21am

Post #5 of 113 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Here the packshot [In reply to] Can't Post

First thoughts:
- The image of Smaug with Bilbo leaked couple of weeks ago turned out to be genuine!
- The green packaging is a step away from the color scheme of the Special Edition soundtracks (as opposed to LOTR, The Hobbit does not seem to have any color coding at all). But I would not say it doesn't work. Green Erebor stone with dwarf ornaments does work.
- What's with the "O"? Do they want to put a dwarf coin inside? Now that would be cheap!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 9:25am

Post #6 of 113 (1794 views)
Shortcut
I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy the EE is going to be 25 minutes longer. Hopefully there won't be any musical numbers this time around (only reason I can't watch the AUJ EE).

(This post was edited by Carne on Aug 5 2014, 9:33am)

Brandywine
The Shire

Aug 5 2014, 9:35am

Post #7 of 113 (1796 views)
Shortcut
It’s a nice package. [In reply to] Can't Post

But why can't WB stick to the colour coding once? It's really annoying.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 9:44am

Post #8 of 113 (1786 views)
Shortcut
I laughed so much at this! [In reply to] Can't Post

The clip is really funny, and it is NOT as some of you seem to think, PJ "light" in a bad way, I think it is in a good way. And Martin Freemans expressions are spot on every time Laugh I am glad they did not put it in the TE but it is a nice piece of entertainment IMO!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 9:54am

Post #9 of 113 (1890 views)
Shortcut
Naughty old PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine making Bilbo the focus of the scene rather than a boat.

If there is one complaint that cries out above all others, it is how there is not enough focus, in these films , on the boat.

DjU
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 10:12am

Post #10 of 113 (1717 views)
Shortcut
No coin on the standalone pack shot. [In reply to] Can't Post

No coin on the standalone pack shot that is on cnet.com
http://www.cnet.com/...ion-adds-25-minutes/

Azaghâl
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 10:32am

Post #11 of 113 (1762 views)
Shortcut
Clearly you didn't read my post [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually applaud PJ for keeping the focus on Bilbo. But this can be accomplished in many ways.
With the enchanted river also being comedic, the whole journey through Mirkwood will be for laughs. Not really the wibe I was getting from reading about it in the books.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 10:33am

Post #12 of 113 (1701 views)
Shortcut
HA! I told you it would be cyan not purple! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...g=soundtrack;#709116

And Here: http://newboards.theonering.net/..._string=blue;#647093

And Here: http://newboards.theonering.net/..._string=blue;#638769

All the marketing and merch for this film was cyan except the soundtrack cover. Just like LotR I think they muddled them up. Purple is the colour for The Battle of Five Armies - a much more suiting, royal colour. Cyan matched the quirky and dark atmosphere of DoS. Smile

Very happy with the colour and the clip. Can't wait.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 10:47am

Post #13 of 113 (1764 views)
Shortcut
There's no need to shout! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's true that film Mirkwood is different from book Mirkwood, but I wouldn't have called the film version 'light' in any sense. There isn't that much physical light and the wood they've created is for the film is psychologically dark - twisted and frightening. Certainly not a place where anyone would want to picnic as the elves do in the book.

I'm afraid I can't see any comic relief in that scene at all. Seems all of a piece with with weird, hallucinatory nature of the film wood which really isn't funny. If you were in the middle of that it would be terrifying, I think.

And how can you at once complain that PJ doesn't stick to the book, and then go on to say that 'they actually give us a great scene from the books.'

Sorry you don't like it, but I am looking forward to the EE very much now (to be honest, I was anyway) and I won't be looking at any more spoilers because the first viewing of the whole film is going to be far too good to waste!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 10:58am

Post #14 of 113 (1651 views)
Shortcut
They HAVE stuck to the colours. It's the purple soundtrack that always bugged me [In reply to] Can't Post

See my previous post on this thread. DOS was always teal/cyan. The soundtrack went purple for some reason and it's always kinda bugged me. But the LotR Complete Recordings did the same thing so at least there's some consistency in this inconsistency.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 5 2014, 11:04am)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 11:00am

Post #15 of 113 (1678 views)
Shortcut
I always read it as a children's adventure story. [In reply to] Can't Post

And see a children's adventure scene here - refocused on Bilbo as the scene - protagonist and interactions amongst the company.

Having humour within the adventure is, to my eye, serving the role of whimsy in the text. But always as part of an adventure yarn, not high adult drama or horror.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 11:16am

Post #16 of 113 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Did we watch the same movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very light in the movie version of Mirkwood compared to the darkness described by Tolkien. They went with psychedellic instead and well i prefered the darkness and despair version from the book.

In Reply To
And how can you at once complain that PJ doesn't stick to the book, and then go on to say that 'they actually give us a great scene from the books.

It doesn't really contradict itself. I said it was good he brought in a scene with the enchanted river which was greatly missed in the TE, but the way he has done it, disappoints me. There is alot of focus on comedy in this scene, the whole slippng and falling by Bilbo on the vines, is very comedic. And then he says they shouldn't cross, only to find they already are. C'mon that's classic comedy.

You can't really pull the "If you were in the middle of that it would be terrifying" argument. That's not relevant if the direct chooses to play it for laughs. Not to me atleast.

And I don't shout. I type loud! Wink

Arannir
Valinor

Post #17 of 113 (1638 views)
Shortcut
Already better. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just re-watched that part... it already looks and feels better with that scene (keeping in mind that it does not end there).

DoS will be a better movie if both Beorn and Mirkwood are fleshed out.

Mirkwood is alright for the TE... but Beorn in its current state is a bit too episodic. I realize they had to introduce him because of the battle in part III... but just watching the TE I cannot blame those casual viewers I talked to who questioned whether one needed him in the first place besides for providing the ponies.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 5 2014, 11:18am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Post #18 of 113 (1657 views)
Shortcut
As someone who doesn't much like DoS or all the changes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this scene is great. Yes, different from the book. I don't know why people expect anything else at this point.

But I agree, it's certainly not 'light' I personally find the Mirkwood scenes really uncomfortable to watch, especially in 3D and I think, for this interpretation, this scene has been handled perfectly. I'm really excited and hopeful that the EE could really improve the choppy, rushed pace of the TE.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 11:32am

Post #19 of 113 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Did we read the same book? [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene crossing the river in the book is also very comedic. They spend ages carefully getting each dwarf across in a boat one by one (an amusing mental image as it is). When the fattest of their company (after being warned "something bad will happen if you go on grumbling") falls in and starts dreaming of food! It's not exactly suspenseful thriller material.

I'm hoping in the film they'll also discover a boat on the other side of the river after making all that effort to climb across it Laugh

You seemed to be expecting this scene to have a completely different tone to the rest of movie Mirkwood? Surely you knew it was going to be hallucinogenic?

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 5 2014, 11:33am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 11:36am

Post #20 of 113 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, Beorn is in the most need of some extra time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also want to see some more of Dale. The film is called The Desolation of Smaug, and yet we completely skip over the company exploring the desolation Crazy

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 11:37am

Post #21 of 113 (1626 views)
Shortcut
Quite an efficient 2 minutes as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as pressing little character traits. Kili as young and impulsive, Thorin commanding, Bofur as prosaic and bathetic and Bilbo as the middle class, semi-anachronistic fish out of water, who once again is right but unheeded.

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 11:50am

Post #22 of 113 (1580 views)
Shortcut
I see literally nothing wrong with the scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks great. I'm disappointed the box isn't that purple color though. That will really bother me when I look at my Special Edition soundtracks. Both AUJ's will be orange and now the EE for DoS will be cyan and the soundtrack will be purple. That doesn't make sense!

Our destiny lies above us.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 11:57am

Post #23 of 113 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I still think part II should have either been called "The Path to Erebor" , "The Quest through Wilderland", "Smaug the Magnificent" or "Smaug the Golden".

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 5 2014, 11:58am)

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 11:58am

Post #24 of 113 (1508 views)
Shortcut
What color do you think BoFA's EE will be then? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it seemed to me that the colors were that teal/cyan color in the trailer.

Our destiny lies above us.

Fleuz
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 12:00pm

Post #25 of 113 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Purple [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the DOS Soundtrack.

I think.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.