The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
If you saw a LOTR/Hobbit star IRL...

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 2:41am

Post #1 of 25 (381 views)
Shortcut
If you saw a LOTR/Hobbit star IRL... Can't Post

Would you approach him/her? Earlier today, I saw Dominic Monaghan on the subway on the way home. Can you imagine my shock? Meriadoc Brandybuck standing next to me, here in Stockholm, Sweden of all places? (Sweden is hardly your #1 holiday destination so to speak so I could hardly believe it when I saw that it really was him). Some fangirl was swooning all over him at the time asking him questions, and I just couldn't figure out something clever to say (because my urge was strong: here a LOTR alumni was standing next to me and I knew that such an unlikely encounter will probably never happen again in my life). But I let the moment slip past and I got off where I live and didn't say a word. So, in my shoes, would you have the same "urge" to say something and ask for an autograph or the like? Cool

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 3:21am

Post #2 of 25 (291 views)
Shortcut
I read about a fan... [In reply to] Can't Post

who spotted Nathan Fillion walking around in disguise (I think it was sunglasses and a cowboy hat) at Comic Con a few years back. The fan merely let him walk past, nodded and gave a small salute and murmured, "Captain."

Nathan Fillion said later in an interview that that fan was the greatest single moment of Comic Con that year. He has become such a celebrity that he can't enjoy milling around with the rest of the fans, something he truly misses. What that individual did was have his moment with the celebrity without intruding on Nathan's space and time in a moment what was not meant for the fans and Nathan really appreciated that.

I would hope I could come up with something equally as cool, but I doubt it. I would probably do what you did and let them alone and let the moment pass. I'd much rather not intrude than be remembered as the fan that was invading time not set aside for that type of thing.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 5 2014, 3:29am

Post #3 of 25 (292 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I would [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, I don't think I would act on any urge I might have. And I'm not sure I would have a large urge in many situations to intrude.

I think the only time I would initiate contact is if a reason for interaction was present. Like I was a store clerk and they were paying at my register. Then I'd take a cue from their demeanor. Are they making eye contact? Do they seem socially inclined. Or are they in their own thoughts and a bit socially detached.

I was in the presence of one of the people I admired most at a small social event. I was very happy to meet him and speak a few words with him. I would never have asked for his autograph and/or asked for a photo with him. I felt that asking for autographs was like asking him work. I did get his autograph later when he was officially signing at a table.

I get that's what people do now. But either I am too much a product of my generation - which is a long distance from young people today - or of my personality - or maybe my particular upbringing (I know that some cultural or familial paradigms are more bold and outgoing than others).

I would, however, if given a moment that didn't seem obtrusive, try to convey my own appreciation for someone I really admired in some way. But I would hope it would seem like a 'gift' of appreciation I could give them. And not, in any way, suggest I wanted something from them.

Side story. I'm not entirely sure, but I thought - after the fact of the situation - that I might have happened upon the punk singer Patti Smith while she was touring in 1976. Or rather, she might have happened upon me.

The person came to my register while I was working at a plant nursery / craft store. She looked so much like my friend Pat C. that I asked if she was related. No, she said. She wasn't related but her name was Pat, too. Wow, I said... you look so much like him.

Years later, I had out my Horses album and just idly remarked to myself... she looks just like Pat C.

And this light bulb went off. I figured the person I met could easily have come by the store at the same time Patti was in town. (I had been at the concert and it was fantastic)

I'll never know. :-)

Oh, and I do remember I had a chance to meet a local musical hero of mine when she gave a workshop at the school I worked at. She was engaging with people and I made a right fool of myself being very fangirl with her. :-)

But I didn't ask for her autograph!

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Owain
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 3:44am

Post #4 of 25 (279 views)
Shortcut
I guess I'd gauge the moment like I would any other person. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had the opportunity to meet celebrities before and they are hard working people like the rest of us.

If the moment presented itself (like they are not eating or in deep conversation with someone else) I'd smile and acknowledge them.

If they seem receptive to conversation then sure. If they aren't then whatever. No different than anyone else I'd meet.

I saw Adrian Brody on the night King Kong premiered in New York City... I literally brushed past him as I was walking in Times Square. I smiled and said, "Hey Adrian!!!" in my best Rocky voice and he smiled and waved.

That same night I sat next to John Turturro during the movie and smiled and waved. He smiled back and waved.

This past baseball season, I saw Carlos Beltran right after my team lost the World series. I was picking up my dog from a grooming appointment and he pulled up as I was leaving the groomers. He made eye contact with me and quickly looked away. I just yelled out, "Hey Carlos! Thanks for the memories!" and gave him a thumbs up. He turned and smiled and waved. And went on his way.

I saw Richard Taylor at the King Kong premiere in New York City as well and he saw me and waved. I had my King Kong shirt on and was obviously a fan and he made a point of acknowledging me. To this day I wish I had walked up and said hello. He was with Tanya and Gino Acevedo... but I didn't want to rain on their parade.

I once served coffee to Marv Albert and he was kind and we talked a little bit.

I spent a summer as a set intern for a movie and met some of the cast. So because I was working with the cast on a daily basis that opened up opportunity to talk and listen. I met Aaron Eckhart, Jason Sudeikis and Kristen Wiig. They were all nice people and just went about their jobs.

So to me, it just depends on the environment, situation, and whether the person seems receptive or not.

I don't think there is anything wrong with smiling and saying hello. If they brush that off, then to me that's just rude. If they acknowledge you and keep moving, then they have been polite but probably have somewhere to be or just don't feel comfortable talking to someone they don't know (like any of us would be.)

So my two cents.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2014, 4:06am

Post #5 of 25 (277 views)
Shortcut
I'd watch them out of the corner of my eye like mad [In reply to] Can't Post

but I wouldn't intrude on them. Actors need their 'off' time from their professional lives and I'd feel very awkward about encroaching on that.

But how cool for you to have seen Dom in such an everyday setting. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 4:07am

Post #6 of 25 (273 views)
Shortcut
I would give him a nod or say hi. [In reply to] Can't Post

But nothing too weird or fanboyish.

Our destiny lies above us.

silvereyed
The Shire

Aug 5 2014, 5:12am

Post #7 of 25 (266 views)
Shortcut
it might be a little different in NZ, these actors are everywhere [In reply to] Can't Post

I was doing the weta workshop tour when Richard Taylor walked past us - not exactly somewhere you'd never expect to see him - and he looked super tired and was clutching his cup of tea like a lifeline so my friend and I didn't say anything and waited until he'd left before we turned to each other and freaked out about the close encounter.

Then the next day I had an extra close encounter with Dean and Aidan that you can see in my icon ;)

I think it really comes down to time and place re: approaching famous people. You need to be able to judge if they are in the mood and not busy/obviously avoiding attention before you walk up to them.

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 5:20am

Post #8 of 25 (274 views)
Shortcut
I live an hour south of Viggo Mortensen [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband worked in the town around where he lives (Sandpoint, Idaho, US) for a year before managing to transfer back down (the hour long, or 3 hours with major snowfall- it HAD to snow about ten feet that winter in three days Crazy- was very taxing). His coworker met Viggo at a Walmart in Ponderay, ID (right next to Sandpoint- and just an idea, Ponderay has about three strip malls and a Walmart and Big R ranch store, and that's about it- NOT a large town by any means). She fangirled out on him, asking him "Do you know who you are?" He answered awkwardly, and she said, "But do you know who you ARE???"

And he was quite uncomfortable. Heck, the guy doesn't even own a PHONE, for pity's sake (though I do wonder how his agent gets a hold of him without at least a basic landline). And my aunt, who works for airport security, met him and said he was a jerk. But then again, who DOES like TSA security??? Crazy She also met Natalie Cole (Nat King Cole's daughter, and famous singer) and confiscated her toothpaste because it was too big- it has to be 3 ounces or smaller and hers was a normal sized tube. She was treated same as any other traveler.

And my friend's mom ran into (literally- she full on body check ran into) Vin Diesel at a restaurant in Idaho Falls (8 hours drive south) where his mom lives. He grows out a huge beard and drives a bike- seriously you can barely recognize the guy when he's not working and that may well be his goal- and she ran into him when she and her husband were leaving and he was coming in with his mom. She apologized (not knowing it was Vin Diesel) and he said "It's all right" as in no biggie. Her husband (wisely) didn't inform her exactly WHO she ran into til they were in their car, and she freaked. I'm guessing he knew she would, and that's why he kept mum Wink

My thing is, and I thought about this as we did indeed walk in the Ponderay Wal-mart this afternoon (we went up past Sandpoint to try for huckleberries- sadly didn't find any but did get some info on a good spot closer to my town that we'll try another day), and the thought occurred to me "what if I do meet Viggo here by accident?"

I didn't, but I was pondering this same thing today, and decided that I would no more encroach upon a celeb's personal time than if I were to ask a person in a grocery store whom I saw at a shoe store if their store carried certain types of shoes while they're clearly not working. Maybe a smile and a nod, but unless they engaged me in conversation, I wouldn't intrude on their personal life. I feel personally that celebs get crazy fans all too often, and it's a lot of pressure to be in the spotlight all the time (imagine if YOUR life was lived in a fishbowl and the rest of the world fawned, critiqued, scorned, ridiculed, proposed marriage, squee'd, judged unfairly, propositioned, etc- I bet it would get EXTREMELY annoying at best and gosh awful at worst). And we wonder why so many celebs end up in rehab, Alcoholics Anonymous, or dead from overdoses Unsure

Sometimes I think actors and other celebrities just want to live normal lives when they're not working (and yes, fan events, like cons and whatnot, is still working for them). Fame is great- for a little while, but then it becomes draining and claustrophobic. Only those who are extreme narcissists would be able to soak up that exuberant amount of attention for years. That's why child stars often end up as loser adults- they can't take the pressure.

So I think a smile, maybe a small (discreet) wave or nod is appropriate. Or maybe just asking to shake their hand and moving on. My grandfather met Mickey Rooney at a Hawaii airport, and said, "Excuse me, sir, I don't want an autograph or a picture- I just want to shake your hand." And Mickey did, and both went about their business.

I wouldn't engage in conversation unless their body language indicates that you may ask, or unless they engage you first. But I think a smile, nod, small wave, or shaking their hand (if they're not occupied with someone or something else) would be appropriate. Smile

Hope that helps!

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 5 2014, 6:15am

Post #9 of 25 (262 views)
Shortcut
I'd probably ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nervously ask for an autograph and then leave. But since I don't often carry around a pad and a pen, I'd probably just acknowledge them with a smile, then go home and post about it here and then update my Facebook status. Wink

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 7:08am

Post #10 of 25 (262 views)
Shortcut
I've met or encountered quite a few celebrities [In reply to] Can't Post

I worked in two upscale hotels while saving up for school and between semesters during the early to mid nineties, and encountered a few actors and musicians. I never made a fuss over them, but in trying to be nonchalant, I sometimes made a bigger fool of myself than if I had made a fuss. Tongue

The biggest celebrity I met was Michael Keaton not long after his stint as Batman. I was working the front desk where we were always told to never give out room numbers of guests to anyone, even if we knew the people involved wouldn't mind. Well, Michael Keaton was joining his wife who had already checked in using his real last name. He asked for the room number of Michael #@$&!&, and being the doofus I am, I was going to prove to him that we were keeping his real name a secret and also that, just because he was famous, I wasn't going to make exceptions for him. So I said, "I'm sorry, I can't give out room numbers to other guests." Blush He pointed to himself and mouthed the words, "It's me!" (There was someone else standing at the counter and he didn't want to draw attention to himself) So of course I gave him his key and a map of the grounds, and told him how to get to his room. He was really nice and gave no indication that he thought I was a complete ninny. Laugh

If I were to encounter someone from LOTR, Dr. Who, Community, or maybe John Stewart or Stephan Conlbert, I'd probably make that incident look positively dignified. I'd hope I could be cool, but it would be hard. But no, I wouldn't ask for an autograph. That's just not something I could do.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Aug 5 2014, 7:23am)

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 9:37am

Post #11 of 25 (257 views)
Shortcut
Probably do the same as you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might sneak a nod in their direction if we made eye contact and were the only two people there, and respond if they said 'Hello.' Other than that, I would leave in peace.

smtfhw
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 12:23pm

Post #12 of 25 (237 views)
Shortcut
Depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

Really it would depend on the circumstances... I wouldn't rush up and accost anyone. They've as much right to privacy as I do. That said I think my main brush with celebrity came way back in the early 1990s. I was part-time working with a motor racing team and they were on the support programme at the European Grand Prix at Donington Park. I'd been there all day, mostly in the pit lane, and it was getting towards the end of the final day. It has been raining pretty solidly, I was damp and uncomfortable, but had stuck it out. I happened to be standing next to the McLaren team as they began dismantling their gear. One of the guys angled the top of the pit shelter and the water that had collected went straight down the back of my neck and inside my waterproof jacket. So now I was really wet and miserable. By way of apology they brought me a cup of coffee. After I'd finished it, and the race I'd been involved in was over, I went into their garage to give the mug back, The only person in there was Ayrton Senna, who had that afternoon driven what many people still think was the race of his life. It would have been odd not to speak under those circumstances so I said something along the lines of "great race", shook his hand and then left.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 1:44pm

Post #13 of 25 (232 views)
Shortcut
In my younger days [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to alot of rock concerts, and several times got backstage so that I could meet the band & get autographs. I imagine I was your typical obnoxious fan, but most of them were pretty gracious in that setting. I don't know how I'd act these days, I think it would be terribly rude to take a picture unless it was a fan event, but who knows? I might do it anyway.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2014, 4:13pm

Post #14 of 25 (230 views)
Shortcut
I've been lucky to run into quite a few [In reply to] Can't Post

because of work, or travel, or because of TORN! Celebrities are people, and deserve their privacy. If you make a big deal about them, you alert the people around you that "someone" is in their midst, and that celebrity now has to deal with the reactions of everyone, not just you.

When I encounter someone famous, I tell them quietly that I enjoy their work, and thank them. If there's something particular I enjoyed, I might mention that.

Just this past week, my sister ran into a documentary filmmaker whose work she admires (as do I). She told her she loves her films, and the filmmaker just lit up with a huge smile. We all like to be appreciated, and celebrities are no different.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 5:59pm

Post #15 of 25 (232 views)
Shortcut
I've been unlucky enough to be nearly run over by one... [In reply to] Can't Post

who shall remain nameless.
I have met Ian McKellen twice in a 'sign autographs and chat' situation. As expected, he was charming.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 9:44pm

Post #16 of 25 (206 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, if he/she said hi, I'd say hi back and try not to act as awkward as I'd feelBlush, but I wouldn't want to bother them on their time off.

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 9:56pm

Post #17 of 25 (216 views)
Shortcut
My dad almost got run over by Elvis once [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad grew up in Tennessee and one time Elvis, in his tour bus, was passing through, and everyone went out to watch, including my dad. In the midst of the chaos, my dad, along with a bunch of other people got forced into the street where the bus was going at a snails pace trying to get through the crowd. My dad got pushed along until he was right in front the bus and got stuck there, unable to get people to move.

The bus was big enough that the driver couldn't see him down there and it kept creeping closer and closer until he finally had to bang on the front of it and shout to get it to stop. It did and when he was finally able to get out of the way, he looked up and saw Elvis in the window, pointing at him and chuckling. He says he's glad that The King found his near-death experience entertaining.Tongue

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2014, 10:16pm

Post #18 of 25 (212 views)
Shortcut
Subject line of the month! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Immortal

Aug 6 2014, 4:28am

Post #19 of 25 (208 views)
Shortcut
heh. My mom's celebrity encounter story is that she knocked Peter Sellers down [In reply to] Can't Post

she was walking around a corner on a street in Paris, he came around the corner from the other direction, and bam! they ran into each other, and he fell down. She helped him up, recognized him, and blurted out "you're so short!" - at which point he hurried on his way.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 6 2014, 5:58am

Post #20 of 25 (201 views)
Shortcut
All those stories are far better than mine [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine is lame. I'm still so mad at that guy. When I see him in the films I want to shake my fist at him.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 6 2014, 12:37pm

Post #21 of 25 (190 views)
Shortcut
I think soon... [In reply to] Can't Post

you're going to have to at least give us hint... some coded version of his name.

You've been teasing this story too long. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 6 2014, 7:24pm

Post #22 of 25 (169 views)
Shortcut
That'll teach him :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 4:28am

Post #23 of 25 (168 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should ask - I just saw one today [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo Mortensen is filming Captain Fantastic in the Seattle area, and was filming in my friend's neighborhood today. We wandered down the street to see what we could see and who should I see walking up the street towards me but Mr Mortensen? He was in character and talking with a cast or crew member, so I didn't say anything. We spotted a couple of the other actors, but it just wasn't the right situation to approach anyone.

So, to answer your question, I'd say it depends on the circumstances and who the actor is. If it had been a certain actor playing our favorite majestic dwarf, I probably would have stopped in my tracks, inadvertently blurted out something stupid in a loud voice, then rushed over to say hi. Wink

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 6:30am

Post #24 of 25 (157 views)
Shortcut
There is no way on earth [In reply to] Can't Post

I am even a teeny, tiny bit jealous of you. Not even slightly. Laugh

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Aug 17 2014, 11:11pm

Post #25 of 25 (124 views)
Shortcut
It really depends on the celeb. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it were Dom Monaghan, I probably would have been that obnoxious fangirl you saw near him!! Wink
While I respect that actors need time off like we all do, I'd probably walk up to.....I'll use Dom as an example....I'd walk up to him and be as polite as possible about asking for an autograph and maybe even a photo...with some fangirlling thrown in as well!!
But that's the teenager in me! I don't think most celebrities would mind if you were polite.

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

It is our fight!~ Tauriel

I fear neither death nor pain! ~Eowyn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.