The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Changed release date for BOFA?

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Aug 4 2014, 6:41pm

Post #1 of 14 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Changed release date for BOFA? Can't Post

I was perusing the 2014 In Film page on Wikipedia and it says BOFA comes out on December 12th (at least in the US). But the Wikipedia and IMDb pages for the actual movie still say the 17th. Does anyone know anything about this?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 6:51pm

Post #2 of 14 (582 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd hate to have to wait a week after UK has gotten it. However, for nostalgia's sake, the 17th is fitting (same date as ROTK).

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Aug 4 2014, 6:57pm

Post #3 of 14 (573 views)
Shortcut
I don't hope so! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure I'll have two finals that Friday, one of them at 9:00 AM. I doubt this will stop me from seeing the midnight premiere, but I don't need this stress in my life!! Frown

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 7:25pm

Post #4 of 14 (520 views)
Shortcut
No reason to believe it is true [In reply to] Can't Post

There certainly has not been any official (or even unofficial) announcement to that effect, and it is getting too late to effectively change it. It probably is just a case of someone mistakenly editing a Wikipedia page.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Aug 4 2014, 8:11pm

Post #5 of 14 (472 views)
Shortcut
The teaser trailer just released says December 17// [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 2:54am

Post #6 of 14 (349 views)
Shortcut
I've said it before and I'll say it again [In reply to] Can't Post

December 17 is an odd date to release the movie, bearing in mind the dozens of markets in which it is released around Dec 10~. I just don't get the benefit of releasing it 1 week later. Crazy

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Aug 5 2014, 2:55am)

Annatar598
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 3:21am

Post #7 of 14 (328 views)
Shortcut
Well the movie did better internationally [In reply to] Can't Post

It really didn't amaze anyone in the US BO. Except beating Frozen on Christmas day.

Maybe WB wants to build up hype?

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 3:34am

Post #8 of 14 (313 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

If the US market did their part with DOS (hitting 300 mil) that movie would have reached 1 billion. But, they didn't.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Annatar598
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 3:38am

Post #9 of 14 (322 views)
Shortcut
DOS met Box Office Mojo's BO numbers in the US [In reply to] Can't Post

which is sad because BOM is usually very cynical and pessimistic with its predictions.

Maybe this also has something to do with the critics? International critics were much more lenient on these Hobbit films than the American ones (who go on to give crappy movies rave reviews). I don't know.

But it just makes sense to give the international crowd the movie first I guess. At least from the studio's perspective!

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 4:00am

Post #10 of 14 (319 views)
Shortcut
A common reason for choosing release dates for films [In reply to] Can't Post

is to avoid coming out on the same weekend as a film in a similar genre that would split the audience. A lot of big films obviously get released between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and December 17 might have been optimum for avoiding that kind of competition. Or it could be something completely different. But that part of December has also become "traditional" for the films in this franchise.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 7:27am

Post #11 of 14 (268 views)
Shortcut
That would only help... [In reply to] Can't Post

... if the US critics' embargo would be lifted later than those of OS-markets - hardly feasible and certainly no way to get better reviews by US-journalists.

( Btw: I think the DoS reviews proved that they are willing to give these movies better scores and reviews, if they actually do believe it is a better movie.)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 7:29am

Post #12 of 14 (264 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder whether they did not want to share their first with Mockingjay's third week which will be undoubtedly much bigger in the US than Bot5A.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 9:52pm

Post #13 of 14 (179 views)
Shortcut
well I'll say it again [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a risky business move and I'm not sure from a business perspective (although some have talked about Mockingjay) why they would do it.

It's not about liking or not liking a release date to me, it's marketing and business sense.

I guess all will be revealed but man that's a big risk. There are tons of download sites out there and Americans will download the movies illegally as well. I guess it just comes down to a gamble as to demographics in the first week and release day and whether they will lose money on the long run.

DoS did not make up the loss in the American market compared to AUJ in spite of strong international viewing. It may not make a difference going out a week later here, who knows, and for those of us going no matter what it won't make a difference (Im on vacation that week so I'm actually glad it's going out on the 17th) but I'm not convinced as a business/marketing decision it's the right one.

Time will tell...

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Aug 5 2014, 9:56pm)

patrickk
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 10:35pm

Post #14 of 14 (172 views)
Shortcut
If you adjust... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for an apreciating US dollar at the time the international box office was a little better for DOS than AUJ if measured by local currency or adjusted to 2012 dollars. All-in-all outside the US there was very little in it between the two but probably up a little and $960m is not shabby by any means. The drop from a litle over 30% to a little over 25% of global total from the US was the 'problem' if there is a problem. Current marketing reflects the huge non-US interest in this film.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.