Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
When did you last read The Hobbit?
Poll: When did you last read The Hobbit?
I'm reading it at the moment
During the last month
During the last year
During the last two years
During the last three to five years
During the last six to ten years
More than ten years ago
I can't remember
I've never read it
View Results (57 votes)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 4 2014, 10:29am

Post #1 of 18 (455 views)
Shortcut
When did you last read The Hobbit? Can't Post

I last read it in January after DOS came out. What about you?

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 11:27am

Post #2 of 18 (307 views)
Shortcut
A bit before and a bit after AUJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hoped to like it more than the first two times... but I barely made it all the way through.

I think I won't try it a fourth time.

Simply not my cup of tea.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2014, 12:18pm

Post #3 of 18 (304 views)
Shortcut
I usually read LOTR at least once a year [In reply to] Can't Post

and since the Hobbit movies have come out I added TH into my annual tradition too. (Thanks, PJ, for making me like TH again! Smile)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 4 2014, 12:19pm

Post #4 of 18 (304 views)
Shortcut
Read it again before DOS came out to refresh my memory of the story [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think I'll probably do the same thing this year before BOTFA. I really enjoy The Hobbit, love Tolkien's sense of humor and the writing style he uses. And it's a quick, easy read, perfect for relaxing.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 4 2014, 1:29pm

Post #5 of 18 (290 views)
Shortcut
I have read it 3 times I think [In reply to] Can't Post

the last one last Christmas, after seeing DOS.
I got a new perspective and as I read along I became really enthralled with the Durin family....Blush

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2014, 1:46pm

Post #6 of 18 (294 views)
Shortcut
I started rereading it before AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

but only got up to Barrels and haven't picked it up since. I think my plan was to read the parts pertaining to AUJ before it came out to get into the spirit of things, then read the relevant parts for DoS and TaBA after each film came out so as not to spoil too much (i hadn't read it since 8th grade, and didn't remember a lot of it). But my disappointment with DoS (mainly the last half hour, 45 minutes) kind of soured me on the whole thing, so i never got back into it. Maybe BotFA will be better, and it'll get me excited about finishing it up. Or i'm sure i'll pick it up again eventually.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 4 2014, 2:10pm

Post #7 of 18 (287 views)
Shortcut
I read it sometime around 2002-4 [In reply to] Can't Post

finally. I had tried to reread it around 1999 and after two or three tries, gave up. I just could not engage in it.

I finally kind of made myself read it again after the LOTR movies. I mean, I was reading the Sil, Unfinished Tales and bits of History of Middle-earth. Surely I could make it through The Hobbit.

Since then, I've listened to the two radio dramas a few times in the car. Mostly I zone out.

And I tried again when some people on another forum were doing a group read in anticipation of the movies. I was the only one who ever contributed to the discussion (I think the others were content to check of the box ... 'read chapter 5'). Without the pressure, er... incentive to participate in a group discussion, I stopped trying so hard to read, think, and post and the noble experiment failed. It wasn't my idea, fwiw. I just kind of went along with it. :-)

And although it's not the question asked, I first read it in the late 60s but not again till 200x.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 4 2014, 5:15pm

Post #8 of 18 (271 views)
Shortcut
I voted a year but it was probably closer to two. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read it right before AUJ came out.

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 4 2014, 7:01pm

Post #9 of 18 (268 views)
Shortcut
Last November [In reply to] Can't Post

I last read it the whole way through just before DOS came out, to refresh myself with the story, though I've read bits and pieces since (I think I've read the whole book six or seven times). I'm planning on re-reading it later this year, along with John Rateliff's 'The History of The Hobbit'.

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 7:13pm

Post #10 of 18 (264 views)
Shortcut
About 3 or 4 years ago, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't want to read it right before the movies came out; that just makes the changes more obvious, and more likely to pull me out of the movie moment.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 7:15pm

Post #11 of 18 (263 views)
Shortcut
Prolly within a year [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I've read LOTR many more times than H. But The Hobbit does put me in the mood for LOTR.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 4 2014, 7:19pm

Post #12 of 18 (258 views)
Shortcut
Last month [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of the books I keep permanently by the beside for nighttime reading.

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 9:13am

Post #13 of 18 (264 views)
Shortcut
Right before DOS. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read it each December the nights before the AUJ/DOS premieres, stopping at the point in the story I had guessed the films would (correct so far--pretty sure I'm guaranteed for this next one Tongue). It's hard to stop reading something--especially a favorite--but it is very cool to walk into the theater the next day and see it happening before you.

This year, I look forward to reading it cover-to-cover for the first time in a few years.

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 2:46pm

Post #14 of 18 (237 views)
Shortcut
What's funny for me.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is I hasn't read it in probably 5 or 6 years. But when DoS came out, as much as I loved the film, I remember thinking how much seemed different. So I went back and reread it to see just how much was different. I plan on reading it again before BoFA comes out. It really is a fantastic book, I had forgotten how much I loved it.

joec_34
Rivendell

Aug 5 2014, 6:33pm

Post #15 of 18 (236 views)
Shortcut
Just before AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I read it just before AUJ, and meant to re-read it before each film. I didn't do so last year, but maybe I'll make time for it this year.

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 3:56pm

Post #16 of 18 (205 views)
Shortcut
This past fall/winter. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the Annotated Hobbit every night to my 9 year old. I tried to include the annotations where it made sense, but it became clear fairly quickly that this was derailing the story. Nonetheless, I would go back and read them after lights out.

He still disliked Thorin, but not nearly as much as that last time (3 years ago). I think he was able to visualize the story better and certainly remembered details when watching DOS.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 9 2014, 11:23pm

Post #17 of 18 (188 views)
Shortcut
I read [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR and The Hobbit at least once a year. Have done since 1971.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 10 2014, 1:51am

Post #18 of 18 (197 views)
Shortcut
A few months after AUJ came out.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.