Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you draw?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you draw?
Yes, I am an artist by vocation and sell my work.
Yes, I spend a lot of time drawing, but for exhibition or gifts, not sale.
Yes, but I am a bit of a secret artist and no one really knows.
Yes, I doodle constantly, and can draw a great stick figure.
Yes, but it is for another purpose (E.g. Drafting, architecture, etc...)
No, I have no urge to draw at all.
Preferred Media: Oils
Preferred Media: Charcoal
Preferred Media: Paint
Preferred Media: Chalk
Preferred Media: Electronic media
Preferred Media: Pencil
Preferred Media: Ink
Preferred Media: Other
View Results (67 votes)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2014, 8:38pm

Post #1 of 29 (585 views)
Shortcut
Do you draw? Can't Post

This is a sequel to my last poll. I started thinking about those who might have been left out, so I decided to do another poll.

No. I really have no natural artistic talent. With lessons, I could probably become competent, but not much more. I do admire those who have that gift. I can draw a pretty mean stick-man, though!!!

Let us know what kind of media you use, and your preferred style or subjects!

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 1:22am

Post #2 of 29 (454 views)
Shortcut
I can't really "draw" [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm not too bad at drafting. The most artistic picture I ever created is the swanship in my footer.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 4 2014, 4:52am

Post #3 of 29 (447 views)
Shortcut
I voted no [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's not because I don't want to but because I just don't have a lot of natural talent. I draw very poorly but have great respect do those who can.

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 5:35am

Post #4 of 29 (447 views)
Shortcut
I do, but haven't had an art class since elementary school, unless you count music or baking school in community college [In reply to] Can't Post

I drew these back in LOTR days with a pencil when I had downtime at work (I worked in a call center, and some days there was half an hour between calls):

I've recently tried drawing Arwen, but her nose wasn't turning out (I haven't sketched much in a while).

I also do chalk- both on ceramics and as pastels (pastels I often end up with abstract art, though have done an elk before), and I draw and paint landscapes with both acrylic and oil paints ok, and flowers very well (sold a painting of a tiger to a teacher once- that was the school mascot). But by far my best talent regarding traditional art lies with clay sculpting- I found out I had a very, very natural and skilled talent at it when I made a bust of Dr. Daniel Hale Williams for a 7th grade school project using only my hands and a toothpick for fine details (then baked it in the oven, then chalked it). It looked exactly like he did in the history book! Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore because I foolishly gave it to my teacher (he was moving to the high school, and wanted to brag to his high school science students that a 7th grader did that). I wish I hadn't though- but looks like I will have to try busts of ME characters instead and post them on here Cool

I'm thinking Smaug might be my next sculpting project....though sculpting the heirs of Durin might be a bit more tempting Blush And since my husband looks like Kili it might be a bit easier than a dragon....Tongue

I also decorate cakes, which is very artistic too (hey, it's possible to have art and still be able to eat it lol. Cake decorators are sometimes under appreciated in the art world, I think Wink), and sew, and make crafts and candles and have done some bead work. And I can make things out of leather, with my stamped pictures being painted sometimes. I carve wood as well, though haven't done that in ages (both with the wood and leather- I don't have the tools, but growing up my parents had them). And I've painted ceramics.

Is that artsy enough for this poll? Tongue

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Aug 4 2014, 5:35am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 4 2014, 8:54am

Post #5 of 29 (441 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I draw. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a self portrait.

Good, isn't it?

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 4 2014, 8:56am

Post #6 of 29 (431 views)
Shortcut
Just like the Mona Lisa... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the eyes follow you around the room. Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 4 2014, 9:14am

Post #7 of 29 (432 views)
Shortcut
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? / [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 4 2014, 9:55am

Post #8 of 29 (423 views)
Shortcut
I'm amazed [In reply to] Can't Post

You look years younger than your avatar. You haven't aged a day!

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2014, 1:43pm

Post #9 of 29 (407 views)
Shortcut
Always trying for an inside straight [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh. Wait you meant draw a picture. Not one that anyone could recognize. . My daughter and all her kids (even the three yr old) do a far better job than I do. However I do sometimes fill that inside straight.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2014, 3:21pm

Post #10 of 29 (409 views)
Shortcut
Not nearly as much as I would like to [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to be chained to *this* machine more than I should be. I like acrylics, and use pencil or charcoal sometimes, but my favourite medium is pastels, the soft ones, not the oil ones.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 4 2014, 3:53pm

Post #11 of 29 (406 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so much "no urge" as "not much talent for it."

Annael
Immortal

Aug 4 2014, 5:36pm

Post #12 of 29 (396 views)
Shortcut
I have the urge, to draw, but I am no good at it. [In reply to] Can't Post

which is very frustrating. I would love to draw MY idea of what the LOTR characters look like, for instance, but instead have to rely on others. (Catherina Chmiel comes closest.)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2014, 6:44pm

Post #13 of 29 (388 views)
Shortcut
I draw some, [In reply to] Can't Post

sketches of animals usually, but nothing too involved, and not very frequently. Just for fun when the mood strikes.

I studied art in college, and while i could make things look good eventually, it was usually a lot of work, and i didn't enjoy it enough to spend that much time on it. I enjoyed sculpture much more, and photography and graphic design to a lesser extent.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 7:26pm

Post #14 of 29 (388 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, this one only took me about 12 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

Can I draw, or can I draw? Smile

photo Capture-1.jpg

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 8:49am

Post #15 of 29 (368 views)
Shortcut
If I said [In reply to] Can't Post

I only draw flies, would that be an example of what Magpie calls "old man humor"? Laugh

Actually, in art class at school I made good grades, but that was because the teacher liked my ideas. My actual skill - not so much. Tongue My vision always over-reached my ability, but because there were so many students who didn't give a darn even if they had some talent, she gave me credit.

In later years I tried painting. I didn't sketch anything out first, just started applying paint to canvas. Sometimes the results were better than I expected, other times...yikes!

joec_34
Rivendell

Aug 5 2014, 6:26pm

Post #16 of 29 (363 views)
Shortcut
Bob Ross [In reply to] Can't Post

I do a bit of Bob Ross style painting, but that's as close as I get to art in a visual media.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 5 2014, 6:30pm

Post #17 of 29 (367 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Drawing up industrial process diagrams, sketching haz-mat spill sites, mapping out underground product flows, etc. are important to various inspection reports in my line of work.

Plus I always draw my characters when I roleplay PnP. (Currently ancient Rome Republic.)

Who knew that semester of drafting in high school and that semester of figure painting in college would be so useful?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 9 2014, 11:26pm

Post #18 of 29 (336 views)
Shortcut
yep :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to sketch with pencil a lot when I was a sapling, then fell out of it. BUT LotR inspired me to start again. Some of it I really like... being surprised when it turns out right ;)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 10 2014, 1:53am

Post #19 of 29 (335 views)
Shortcut
Sort of. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't do it a lot, and I'm not particularly good, but I like to draw, and did so more when I was younger. My preferred subjects are dragons, ladies in elaborate gowns, and gymnasts/other human figures in motion. Pencil and paper, definitely.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 10 2014, 7:57am

Post #20 of 29 (346 views)
Shortcut
I doodle [In reply to] Can't Post

Though not constantly. But I do get the urge to scribble every now and then. The quality of my drawings varies: I've produced some decent ones, but the majority end up in the dustbin. Preferred media: pencil.

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 16 2014, 4:27pm

Post #21 of 29 (319 views)
Shortcut
yes, i am an artist [In reply to] Can't Post

if i knew how to put an image inline, i would share some of my work.

cheers --

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Aug 16 2014, 4:28pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 16 2014, 7:30pm

Post #22 of 29 (321 views)
Shortcut
Well, now we know. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're one of the "Blue Men."

(I think you might need some good Hobbit feeding too . . . Wink)

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 1:38am

Post #23 of 29 (300 views)
Shortcut
mayan wall [In reply to] Can't Post

mayan wall

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Aug 18 2014, 1:42am)

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:33am

Post #24 of 29 (287 views)
Shortcut
with daniel's help... [In reply to] Can't Post

... i can now post some of my artwork...

mayan wall (pastel)

cheers --

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:41am

Post #25 of 29 (292 views)
Shortcut
cheetah (pastel) [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Aug 18 2014, 3:42am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.