The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
My son and his buddies are going to watch the all of the EE

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 2 2014, 11:11pm

Post #1 of 20 (871 views)
Shortcut
My son and his buddies are going to watch the all of the EE Can't Post

LOTR movies tomorrow at our house. One has never seen the LOTR and others have not seen the EE versions.
Most are in college...20 year olds.

I can always take in an EE marathon!
Though the viewing is coincidental to the 60th anniversary I will advise them of the timing.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 2 2014, 11:12pm)

Name
Rohan

Aug 3 2014, 12:46am

Post #2 of 20 (610 views)
Shortcut
That's going to be an amazing experience for them! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm almost jealous Smile

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 3 2014, 1:51am

Post #3 of 20 (616 views)
Shortcut
It is kind of a last summer bash before heading off to their respective schools. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glassary
Rivendell

Aug 3 2014, 4:11am

Post #4 of 20 (595 views)
Shortcut
So what happened? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait to hear how the marathon went? Especially from the LOTR newbie. Power watching the EE is a serious indoctrination to the middle earth.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 3 2014, 4:20am

Post #5 of 20 (596 views)
Shortcut
Sunday - USA Central Time [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 3 2014, 11:42am

Post #6 of 20 (566 views)
Shortcut
How fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's going to be quite a marathon! I'm sure they'll be asking you all kinds of lore questions, better have your book handy Laugh!

Have a great time and let us know how it went!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 4 2014, 4:48am

Post #7 of 20 (560 views)
Shortcut
Just finished at 11:15 p.m. CST [In reply to] Can't Post

There were 8 people total. Even after seeing them again and again I still spot new things or overlooked things. All enjoyed the films and learned some more of the actual canon vs movie during breaks.

For some reason, the Shelob green goo on Sam's hands seemed to stand out more. Some of the EE extras - Mary and Pippin wrestling with Boromir and new EE minutes of them with Aragorn.

Some of the over the top Legolas stuff did not bother me much this time...the one scene that will always bug me is the Gandalf - Witch King face off with his staff being broken...NOOOOO. The Army of the Dead have always been a little too much like cleansing bubbles.

I clarified some things that they learned strictly from the movies as I don't think any have read the books which is a tremendous shame. The books just add so much more depth that cannot be achieved in a movie.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 4 2014, 4:49am)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 4 2014, 4:01pm

Post #8 of 20 (537 views)
Shortcut
In the words of the newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

"Just got back from marathoning the extended Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was a complete blast and I can't believe it took me this long to actually watch them."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 4 2014, 11:06pm

Post #9 of 20 (492 views)
Shortcut
In the words of Mr Burns, "Eeeexcellent." [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 11:33pm

Post #10 of 20 (487 views)
Shortcut
That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Just got back from marathoning the extended Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was a complete blast and I can't believe it took me this long to actually watch them."

You made a new fan Laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so nice to see the films hold up so well even as time has passed, and that they still can have an impact on new viewers Smile.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 11:46pm

Post #11 of 20 (484 views)
Shortcut
Maybe some will be moved to read the book(s) [In reply to] Can't Post

lol... maybe you can casually leave your copies lying around the house next time they come to visit Wink.

I'm always so happy to watch the films again - as you did, I always spot new things. I think it's because knowing them so well I can let my attention wander to small details in the scenes. And the attention to every detail was just outstanding.

It must have been wonderful for you to watch with a group like that, and see it through their eyes for the first time again. Glad to hear everyone enjoyed it Smile!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 12:07am

Post #12 of 20 (502 views)
Shortcut
At the Grey Havens I never noticed the mystery person off to the right who [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume is Cirdan though no close up is provided. Either Cirdan or their captain as he does go onto the ship in the next scene and "disappears" as do all who board her.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 12:21am

Post #13 of 20 (493 views)
Shortcut
Yes that's Cirdan! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can tell because ... "it's the beard' Wink.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 2:29am

Post #14 of 20 (489 views)
Shortcut
If you freeze frame, a small beard just presents itself. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Círdan

Does he only show up in the EE version at the Grey Havens?

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 8:53am

Post #15 of 20 (508 views)
Shortcut
I remember him being in the TE, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't recall the difference (if any at all) in this scene between the editions, but I believe he's in both.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 9 2014, 8:19pm

Post #16 of 20 (437 views)
Shortcut
My 15yo g'daughter and I just finished LotR/Hobbit marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

Extended editions :)
We were bummed that RL kept interrupting us, but we finished last night taking just over a 2-day/night period. We also ate Middle-earth food. Bacon, salads (green food), tomatoes, eggsesss, mushrooms, chicken, taters, and lots more :)

She is a raging fan, too!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 10 2014, 2:54am

Post #17 of 20 (415 views)
Shortcut
Had she seen them before? [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 10 2014, 3:26am

Post #18 of 20 (405 views)
Shortcut
Love doing that [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to do that multiple times a year. Now, I wait and do it during my winter break.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 10 2014, 4:42am

Post #19 of 20 (409 views)
Shortcut
That's amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never noticed that and I've seen the movies countless times. I should look for it next time I watch!

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 10 2014, 5:47am

Post #20 of 20 (447 views)
Shortcut
How fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like it was a great time. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.