Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The first shot of the 'tBotFA' teaser trailer with Bilbo sitting is almost certainly close to Balin's Tomb,

Theodred
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 9:50pm

Post #1 of 14 (1615 views)
Shortcut
The first shot of the 'tBotFA' teaser trailer with Bilbo sitting is almost certainly close to Balin's Tomb, Can't Post

because the pillars in this shot are exactly the same as in "the Fellowship of the Ring", just before Gimli is entering Balin's Tomb in the mines of Moria.
Check it out yourself:

Look at the pillars at 0:11 seconds in the 'tBotFA' teaser trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzeFFsKEt4
Now look at the pillars in this clip from 'The Fellowship of the Ring' at 1:20 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnDbJw1JtZc

What's your opinion about this? Any thoughts?

http://dehobbithyve.hyves.nl/
http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/the-hobbit-news-widget-ronald_40

(This post was edited by Theodred on Aug 2 2014, 9:51pm)

deskp
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 9:55pm

Post #2 of 14 (856 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

its Erebor. I completely disagree that its Moria.

Name
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 10:06pm

Post #3 of 14 (828 views)
Shortcut
Definitely not Moria, but the similarities may have been done on purpose. [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2014, 10:10pm

Post #4 of 14 (858 views)
Shortcut
What strikes me about that shot [In reply to] Can't Post

are the echoes with the shot of Gandalf sitting forlorn in Gondor when, I think, Faramir is doing is certain-death charge on Osgiliath.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 2 2014, 10:10pm

Post #5 of 14 (812 views)
Shortcut
I don't see how it could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo is wearing his same clothes that he has worn since leaving Laketown - and years pass between the Battle of Five Armies and Balin's death in Moria. And if it were Moria, what would Bilbo be doing there anyway, the place would be full of orcs? And if he were there, then the Company of the Ring would have known in advance that Balin was dead.

I think the similarity you're seeing between the pillars is the dwarf architectural style designed for the films. Whatever that shot is, I think it has to be in Erebor. It's similar to Balin's tomb because of the shaft of light, but I don't see the shrouds, bodies or coffins other people do. I don't know what I see there really - perhaps it's Erebor's equivalent of the Chamber of Mazarbul before it housed Balin's tomb - it must still have had the shaft of light, just shining on a table or something.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 2 2014, 10:26pm

Post #6 of 14 (788 views)
Shortcut
Similar geometric dwarves style but not really the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Moria columns have a jutting horizontal rim a few feet above the ground and the one on the left has carving just above the rim. The bases of the Moria columns are also much wider than the upper portion of the column above the horizontal rim.

The Erebor columns are only slightly wider at the base and have no horizontal rim or carving. Also, the Erebor columns appear to have more than four sides - the column on the right clearly shows a flat vertical face ending in a downward pointing triangle where the corner would normally be on a four-sided column.

I think it's just the geometric designs that the dwarves always use that make so much of their work look so similar and so instantly recognizable as dwarven workmanship.

What I think is really interesting is the way the dwarves apparently cut those shafts for the light to enter in and shine on a particular spot, purely for sentimental reason, although I suppose they probably also double as air shafts.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

(This post was edited by Elarie on Aug 2 2014, 10:30pm)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Aug 3 2014, 2:08am

Post #7 of 14 (644 views)
Shortcut
^^^This [In reply to] Can't Post

Exactamundo

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 3 2014, 3:38am

Post #8 of 14 (611 views)
Shortcut
Wow, nice architectural critique [In reply to] Can't Post

And of course it can't be Moria anyway, just the time frame itself is wrong.

Just call me Lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Glassary
Rivendell

Aug 3 2014, 4:07am

Post #9 of 14 (600 views)
Shortcut
Just a similarity in the dwarfitecture [In reply to] Can't Post

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2014, 12:30pm

Post #10 of 14 (547 views)
Shortcut
It's Thorins grave... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Aug 3 2014, 12:30pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2014, 12:41pm

Post #11 of 14 (499 views)
Shortcut
Dwarfitecture - I love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you've got the beginnings of a dissertation there - First Age Dwarfitecture, Second Age Dwarfitecture, Third Age Dwarfitecture.... Smile

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2014, 12:54pm

Post #12 of 14 (542 views)
Shortcut
That's the impression it gives [In reply to] Can't Post

(SPOILERS)

but it doesn't really look fancy enough to be the final grave of a dwarf king and Orcrist and the Arkenstone aren't on top of it. Maybe a temporary room, after the battle? Or maybe it's just a shot from the movie where Bilbo is sitting by himself trying to decide what to do next and the room at the back is just a room. I would be super surprised if any of the trailers gave away anything about the ending to the general public and people who haven't read the book.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2014, 6:33pm

Post #13 of 14 (456 views)
Shortcut
What?? LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Why on earth would have Bilbo ventured all the way to Balin's tomb in Moria by himself?? with goblins and a balrog roaming around?

The flames of war are upon you..

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Aug 3 2014, 6:34pm)

Glassary
Rivendell

Aug 4 2014, 1:22am

Post #14 of 14 (369 views)
Shortcut
Likewise in AUJ the bridge to Dol Goldur [In reply to] Can't Post

If you look at the bridge it also has the dwarfitecture angles and straight lines. Definately not an
elven style of bridge which is much more fluid and curvy.
Always think:
Elves = Art Nouveau
Dwarves = Art Deco

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.