The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
YouTube will support 48fps in time for trailer 2

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 2 2014, 4:01pm

Post #1 of 19 (1187 views)
Shortcut
YouTube will support 48fps in time for trailer 2 Can't Post

YouTube has announced that in the next few months they will be slowly rolling out support for 48 and 60fps video. This process has already started and there are currently 3 hfr videos already up on the site.

So do you think there's a chance we'll be watching the next trailer in hfr? I think it's a pretty safe bet. Smile

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 4:13pm

Post #2 of 19 (725 views)
Shortcut
I sincerely hope so... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish it were possible to get the films themselves on Blu-ray in 48fps, but I'll take what I can get.

*Fingers crossed* Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

deskp
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 4:14pm

Post #3 of 19 (683 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

one would hope.

But PJ does seem to want to force people into cinemas..

Fleuz
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 5:01pm

Post #4 of 19 (723 views)
Shortcut
Here the videos [In reply to] Can't Post

But only the two Gameplay-Trailers are HFR.
The one in the middle is largely @ normal speed.

https://www.youtube.com/...rLo19pS8teoRKj7funAy

Fleuz
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 5:03pm

Post #5 of 19 (682 views)
Shortcut
The future is NOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wish it were possible to get the films themselves on Blu-ray in 48fps, but I'll take what I can get.

*Fingers crossed* Smile

With modern TVs or Projectors you can already cheat the HFR. Frame-Interpolation works pretty good.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 2 2014, 7:22pm

Post #6 of 19 (636 views)
Shortcut
I hate it [In reply to] Can't Post

I works wonderfully for smoothing out the slow manning shots, like the map at the start and environments fly-throughs. But as soon as anything moves quickly it looks all pixelated and strange. I prefer to keep that setting off and watch my content as it has been encoded. It's such a shame, I'm a huge fan of the HFR look, especially for 3D - which I also love. Hope there's a hfr home-format coming soon. Even if it means watching the whole film on YouTube Tongue

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 2 2014, 7:24pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 2 2014, 7:27pm

Post #7 of 19 (612 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. 60fps is going to show the biggest benefit in gaming videos [In reply to] Can't Post

But it would be nice to have a better sample of live action in HFR. Most people already know what games look like in 60FPS. Unsure I guess we just have to be patient for the rollout.

Fleuz
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 7:45pm

Post #8 of 19 (618 views)
Shortcut
It's about the settings [In reply to] Can't Post

When I turn the MotionFlow down to "1" it looks great.
Factory Settings are often in the middle. So it is on "5" of "10".
Maybe that's the problem.
If it's too high, it looks strange and annoying.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 9:23pm

Post #9 of 19 (567 views)
Shortcut
What QuackingTroll said... [In reply to] Can't Post

MotionFlow (Frame Interpolation) is okay for a quick sampling of a near-HFR look, but it's not close enough for me to enjoy a full movie. For one, it's artificially creating every other frame, so it doesn't have the same organic look and feel of 48fps. Secondly, as QuackingTroll indicated, you get numerous artifacts, pixelation, etc. Even on the lowest setting, I have these issues on my TV.

So it's definitely preferable for me to just watch the disc as encoded. I'm sure one day we'll get the HFR version (given all the double dipping studios love to do).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 3 2014, 12:11am

Post #10 of 19 (545 views)
Shortcut
Technical jargon [In reply to] Can't Post

I always enjoy this type of discussion.Smile

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Aug 3 2014, 12:17am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2014, 3:54am

Post #11 of 19 (483 views)
Shortcut
I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

i've always thought that frame interpolation looks pretty terrible.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2014, 7:46am

Post #12 of 19 (467 views)
Shortcut
I don't see pixelation [In reply to] Can't Post

At least on anything but the highest setting. Frame interpolation looks pretty much indistinguishable to native 48fps on my equipment (midrange projector). LOVE IT!

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Aug 3 2014, 7:50am)

Fleuz
Lorien

Aug 3 2014, 9:27am

Post #13 of 19 (455 views)
Shortcut
It's about Equipment, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

My LG 32" (2Y old) is a shame due to the pixel interpolation.
But my new Beamer does a damn good job.

adt100
Rohan

Aug 4 2014, 10:15am

Post #14 of 19 (381 views)
Shortcut
Naive question for those of us not up on the while HFR thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

If videos are in 48fps+ will they play fine on iMac, iPhone etc? How about regular LCD tv's?

Bofur01
Lorien

Aug 4 2014, 12:09pm

Post #15 of 19 (366 views)
Shortcut
The iMac and iPhone will be fine... [In reply to] Can't Post

The TV depends on its refresh rate and HDMI cable, but should be fine.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Aug 4 2014, 1:08pm

Post #16 of 19 (359 views)
Shortcut
Looks phenomenal on my Curved TV!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Accessing YouTube on my newly purchased Curved 55" TV automatically upscales every clip uploaded in 1080p to just that, and watching the new Teaser almost looks as if I'm watching it in HFR. Looks astounding! :)

But bring on the next trailer if they are looking to broadcast in that format!

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 12:36am

Post #17 of 19 (327 views)
Shortcut
*drools* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...my newly purchased Curved 55" TV

lol...so far I've only seen them on display in the stores and they look beautiful. How do you like it at home Smile?

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 2:52am

Post #18 of 19 (326 views)
Shortcut
*Partakes in drool session* [In reply to] Can't Post

Uh oh, I've just been stricken with a mild bout of envy.Mad

I better hop my drooling self over to the local electronics
store where I can mindlessly stare at all the gorgeous
UHD Curved TV's.

Until I can afford one, this is the only way I can get my fix!Crazy

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Bernhardina
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 10:03am

Post #19 of 19 (308 views)
Shortcut
Hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the HFR look in 3D cinema, but not for a trailer on youtube! I really hope they will post it in 24 fps.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.