The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New trailer

Axeman21
The Shire

Aug 2 2014, 5:46am

Post #1 of 21 (2260 views)
Shortcut
New trailer Can't Post

What's it all about dwaves riding sheep I'm sure the orcs will be terrified of some killer sheep Jackson has lost the plot

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 7:59am

Post #2 of 21 (1441 views)
Shortcut
You do know... [In reply to] Can't Post

...an angry ram is a formidable foe, don't you?

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Axeman21
The Shire

Aug 2 2014, 8:40am

Post #3 of 21 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Angry rams [In reply to] Can't Post

Yummy lamb chops for dinner

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 9:21am

Post #4 of 21 (1321 views)
Shortcut
You, sir... [In reply to] Can't Post

...are mistaken. Try fighting an agry ram yourself and try making it you dinner. You will not succeed. I guarentee it.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 9:34am

Post #5 of 21 (1317 views)
Shortcut
A bighorn sheep for example... [In reply to] Can't Post

...runs at speeds up to 45 km/h, and then is able to head-butt with a force of 800 kg. And when it clashes like this with another bighorn the sound of the collision can be heard from 2 km's away.

So maybe it is clear to you now, you are really underestimating these guys.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 1:23pm

Post #6 of 21 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Erm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What's it all about dwaves riding sheep I'm sure the orcs will be terrified of some killer sheep Jackson has lost the plot

I don't think orcs are particularly scared of humans either. The goats are there to help them kill the enemy, not necessarily to scare them. They don't care whether it scares orcs or not.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 5:38pm

Post #7 of 21 (1037 views)
Shortcut
One can assume the rams are well suited - [In reply to] Can't Post

- to the preferred habitats of the Dwarves (mountains, hills, etc).

The Dwarves must have domesticated them and later found more military uses for them. They probably find them easier to handle than regular horses.

I think PJ and Co are making the point that the Dwarves (along wth the Elves) are non-human cultures. Just as the Orcs ride versions of giant wolves, why wouldn't the other non-human races have unusual travelling animals? These are in a way the fairytale races of legend that helped inspire the creation of Middle-Earth in the first place.

So sheep, rabbits, deer and boars as travelling animals may not be quite as out of place as one might think - especially in a movie trilogy based on a children's fantasy book.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Aug 2 2014, 5:40pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 6:58pm

Post #8 of 21 (1089 views)
Shortcut
While I think that Dwarves riding ram mounts is an extremely silly idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it really doesn't affect the plot in any way.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2014, 9:39pm

Post #9 of 21 (961 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Black Sheep

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 2 2014, 10:12pm

Post #10 of 21 (944 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... don't know about that... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would help Dain's army to reach the Mountain a whole lot quicker - and that might be important.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 2 2014, 11:07pm

Post #11 of 21 (931 views)
Shortcut
I certainly don't think are any type of domestic sheep [In reply to] Can't Post

More like ibexes, which are wild creatures and pretty impressive looking, the males with very long, backwards-curving horns.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 3 2014, 9:06pm

Post #12 of 21 (796 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves riding sheep [In reply to] Can't Post

Is not too far out for a movie loosely based on a children's fantasy.

But dwaves riding sheep - now that's going too tooo far.TongueTongue

Perhaps a "dwave" is a squad of dwarves? (sorry Axeman, all in fun.) Evil

Cuio i Pheriain anann! Aglar'ni Pheriannath!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 7:39pm

Post #13 of 21 (694 views)
Shortcut
Scary black sheep??? [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG, that's HILARIOUS!!! About as scary as "Night of the Lepus" killer rabbits, and as dumb as "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes." Btw, none of those sheep looked black to me....

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 4 2014, 10:17pm

Post #14 of 21 (704 views)
Shortcut
Riding the beasts for which battering rams are named... [In reply to] Can't Post

doesn't seem too outrageous. Also, I like the fact that the filmmakers are thinking outside the box - or rather, inside the height issue to find animals that would be a) easily available to a mountain culture and b) appropriate size for the creature riding it.

Of course, they could have gone the predictable route and had them riding on battle ponies, but that somehow doesn't seem all that impressive to me. In general, I think that rams are a bit more belligerent than ponies. And they come already supplied with head armaments. Wink

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Aug 5 2014, 1:39am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 4 2014, 11:43pm

Post #15 of 21 (664 views)
Shortcut
I think it's a pun on "black sheep" as in "the black sheep of the family" [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember seeing this trailer back when the movie was being promo-ed. Strange how dated it looks now.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 4 2014, 11:49pm

Post #16 of 21 (680 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wild rams are generally more aggressive than wild ponies Laugh

Also, you are right about them being right for the Dwarves' stature. And a ram's headbutt isn't something one would want to experience.

In general, I'm loving the armoured rams. I'm hope that rumour of Dain riding in on a wild boar is true. How awesome would that be!

Now these are adaptational liberties I can appreciate. They're not far fetched and could very well be written by Tolkien had he gone back and described the Battle of Five Armies the same way he described the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, with the various races, their war mounts, and beasts, coming into the battlefield in wave after wave. Fantabulous!

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 12:41am

Post #17 of 21 (672 views)
Shortcut
Headbutts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also, you are right about them being right for the Dwarves' stature. And a ram's headbutt isn't something one would want to experience.

Maybe that's where they got the idea, back in AUJ, to have Dwalin and Balin affectionately headbutt in greeting. I like that it all ties in together.

(P.S. *waves hi to Earl* SmileHeart)

Noria
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 12:58am

Post #18 of 21 (671 views)
Shortcut
Rams and wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

Those armoured rams with their huge horns looked like they could face wargs successfully, unlike the poor horses of the Rohirrim in TTT or Dwarves on foot. IMO it looks like it could work.
Plus I think they look really cool.

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 4:48am

Post #19 of 21 (660 views)
Shortcut
Armoured dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

like little tanks on battering rams Cool

Yeah, that does sound a bit more ferocious than "short, hairy guys entering battle on their trusty ponies" Tongue Sly

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 7:42am

Post #20 of 21 (651 views)
Shortcut
Boar [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In general, I'm loving the armoured rams. I'm hope that rumour of Dain riding in on a wild boar is true. How awesome would that be!

It seems to be true - Empire also talked about it in their article.

In general, this is the kind of fantasy elements I really like them to bring in this story.

Just hoping the chariot and cart scenes won't add that rollercoaster element again... while I loved the barrels and didn't think Goblin-town was too bad (except for the two falls), I really do not see why something like this would be needed in something PJ himselfs describes as a character-driven thriller with a huge battle (plus the destruction of a city by a dragon + Dol Guldur) in it Crazy

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 10:08am

Post #21 of 21 (668 views)
Shortcut
Haha hilarious XD // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.