"Creatures" in the orc army *spoilers*

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Aug 1 2014, 6:56pm

Post #1 of 21 (2091 views)
Shortcut
"Creatures" in the orc army *spoilers* Can't Post

Quote from the BOTFA article in Empire Magazine:

"All the Middle-earth battles have been different because they tell different stories", Jackson insists. "Here I wanted to do things we had never done before. Obviously there are orcs fighting elves and men, but I wanted to bring in more creatures. The orcs have all manners of creatures. Not just trolls, but creatures they have bred for their armies. They are like the panzer tanks of the orc armies."

There have been discussions on these boards about whether or not the orc army will contain trolls, now it's confirmed that they're in. Yay! But what do you think we can expect of these other creatures? PJ refers to them as "panzer tanks" - is it going to be four-legged animals like those rhino-like beasts we saw pulling Grond in ROTK, or huge bipedal beings, somewhat like giants? Or perhaps both?

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2014, 7:01pm

Post #2 of 21 (1415 views)
Shortcut
Might not be a confirmation [In reply to] Can't Post

He could have meant it like this: Orcs don't have just trolls (like we have seen in LOTR) but other creatures as well.

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Aug 1 2014, 7:10pm

Post #3 of 21 (1356 views)
Shortcut
You may be right... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I got the impression that by "orcs" PJ wasn't referring to orcs in general, but to the orcs in this specific movie.

Oh well, we'll see.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Fleuz
Lorien

Aug 1 2014, 7:37pm

Post #4 of 21 (1322 views)
Shortcut
He was clearly referring to BOFA [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand it like there will be some creatures, we've never seen before.
"Like Panzer Tanks" sounds like more or less bigger creatures like Rhinos. Maybe some with abstract horns or deformed bodies. I can't really tell.
But the will be some ugly ones in there... ;)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 1 2014, 7:43pm

Post #5 of 21 (1303 views)
Shortcut
There just better be bats [In reply to] Can't Post

Swarms of bats. Anything else is gravy.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Name
Rohan

Aug 1 2014, 9:07pm

Post #6 of 21 (1219 views)
Shortcut
So my dream of Beorn duking it out with a troll is an actual possibility? [In reply to] Can't Post

Joy!

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

TnuaccayM
Bree

Aug 1 2014, 10:39pm

Post #7 of 21 (1229 views)
Shortcut
We've already seen a lot of creatures [In reply to] Can't Post

like Thranduil's elk, trolls, spiders, bats, a bear and recently the dwarves on ''goats'' and the rumored ''wild boar'' of Dain. I think it is pretty original to have a fight full of different creatures and also something unique. I don't doubt there could be trolls and spiders on it. Some things like when Gandalf tells Thorin that there haven't been trolls coming out of the Ettenmoors since ''a darker power ruled these lands'' and that the fact that the spiders are coming from Dol Guldur might be a good indication of that. And it also ties the events of The Hobbit book with the Necromancer background storyline.

I just hope the goblins are back as well... :D

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 12:29am

Post #8 of 21 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Ridiculously awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

This battle is going to be both emotionally draining and outrageously fun.

It seems like there will be plenty of variety and a lot going on.

I am so ready for the craziness that awaits.

TBOTFA is gonna take "repeat viewings" to another level.

I just hope the goblins are back as well... :D

I really hope that the goblins show up too.

They would definitely contribute to the craziness
and make the battle even more "fun" than it already
sounds.Cool

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Aug 2 2014, 12:32am)

delius82
Rivendell

Aug 2 2014, 1:47am

Post #9 of 21 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Wargs.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..are the first creatures that came to mind when you posted that exerpt. You can even see them being bred during the Dol Guldur scenes in DOS.

Cillendor
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 4:15am

Post #10 of 21 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Why not the rhino creatures from ROTK? [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, the ones that pulled the huge towers.

Impending Doom

Aug 2 2014, 4:47am

Post #11 of 21 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Not that original [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think it is pretty original to have a fight full of different creatures and also something unique.

Have you ever heard of Narnia? Lewis pretty much has that locked up Wink

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 4:54am

Post #12 of 21 (1069 views)
Shortcut
i don't know about the trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

i feel we got enough trolls in the ROTK battles, i want to see new stuff! like spiders or the bats. I want a battle that doesn't look like ones we've already seen.

The flames of war are upon you..

Rickster
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 7:02am

Post #13 of 21 (1054 views)
Shortcut
You will be amazed [In reply to] Can't Post

Giant Dino like creatures would be superb.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 7:26am

Post #14 of 21 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Please... [In reply to] Can't Post

...no dinosaurs. This is Middle-earth, not Jurassic Park.

I'm find with prehistoric beasts, but then add something like cave lions, giant deer (already in AUJ), mammoths, aurochs or maybe Paraceratherium.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Aug 2 2014, 12:56pm

Post #15 of 21 (954 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien described the fell beasts as pterosaur-like, didn't he? Or acknowledged they looked something like that, anyway. Wink

I agree though, fascinating as I find them I wouldn't want too many creatures that closely resembled dinosaurs running around in Middle-earth.

TnuaccayM
Bree

Aug 2 2014, 1:42pm

Post #16 of 21 (940 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes, I know [In reply to] Can't Post

And it wouldn't be the first time we see creatures in such battles... but I was referring in comparison to the other Middle Earth battles that we've already seen.

I don't know what others may think, but I actually think that these movies reflect more what Tolkien wanted Middle Earth to look like, a fantasy world full of different people and creatures :D

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 2 2014, 2:50pm

Post #17 of 21 (951 views)
Shortcut
Sauron controlled the Isle of Werewolves [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron also once took the shape of a Werewolf. I wouldn't be surprised if Peter Jackson uses that as an excuse to include one or more such creatures at either Dol Guldur or the Battle of Five Armies. He might even depict them as Warg-like, but bipedal to distinguish them from ordinary Wargs.

The bats might be under the command of a Vampire such as his First-Age servant Thuringwethil.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lord_Lucan
The Shire

Aug 2 2014, 7:06pm

Post #18 of 21 (897 views)
Shortcut
That would be awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Vampires, spiders, trolls and giant werewolves would be brilliant.

Would the orcs have warg-drawn chariots or something too?

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 8:47pm

Post #19 of 21 (864 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see werewolves at Dol Guldur... [In reply to] Can't Post

... if only to break the monotony of the endless orc servants, but I'm afraid that they will have to stand aside for the newly awoken Nazgûl. Whether the bats will be commanded by a vampire or not remains to be seen, but I think it's a really good idea.

Nevertheless, it will be fun to see the trolls and the "panzer tanks" to go head to head with the battle rams and boars, and maybe Beorn.

Rickster
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 8:55pm

Post #20 of 21 (851 views)
Shortcut
I think dragons and Balrog are already great Reptile like beings [In reply to] Can't Post

So a surviving Dino could be. Although I also know it will not happen
It would be a bit of humor to have a T-rex running around and eat a few Nasty Filty Orcsys

Númenórean
The Shire

Aug 2 2014, 11:11pm

Post #21 of 21 (873 views)
Shortcut
Grond beast [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.