Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Chapter of the Week: King and Captain

BlackFox
Tol Eressea

Aug 1, 11:19am

Views: 883
Shortcut
Chapter of the Week: King and Captain Can't Post

DOS Chapter of the Week: King and Captain

Hi, folks, and welcome to another CHOW! This week we’re breaking down DOS Chapter 11: King and Captain, in which we witness Bilbo lurk around in the Woodland Realm and have the Elvenking converse with the Captain of the Guard.

Off we go!

Reminiscent of the scene from the beginning of film where we had Bilbo peek over the rocks with Gandalf’s “… which is why we are going to need a burglar” still echoing in our ears, we jump to Bilbo, invisible, sneaking through the Halls of Thranduil seconds after Thorin’s “Not our only hope.”

1. Do you think this makes a good transition from one scene to another?

All of a sudden, Thranduil steps out from behind a corner and seemingly turns to Bilbo. “I know you’re there,” he says. “Why do you linger in the shadows?”
Bilbo freezes, thinking he has been found out.

2. Did you see through this little “trick” or did you fell for it?

Suddenly, Tauriel steps out of the shadows behind him. Realizing that the king was talking to her instead, Bilbo sighs in relief.
“I was coming to report to you,” says Tauriel.

3. Why *did* Tauriel “linger in the shadows”?

“I thought I ordered that nest to be destroyed not two moons past,” expresses Thranduil his dissatisfaction.
“We cleared the forest as ordered, my lord, but more spiders keep coming up from the south,” replies Tauriel. “They are spawning in the ruins of Dol Guldur; if we could kill them at their source-”
She is unable to finish.
“That fortress lies beyond our borders,” Thranduil interrupts her. “Keep our lands clear of those foul creatures, that is your task.”
“And when we drive them off, what then? Will they not spread to other lands?”
Thranduil remains apathic. “Other lands are not my concern,” he announces.

“The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom, we will endure.”

4. Thranduil has been described as an isolationist. What do you make of this characteristic of his and the way it is portrayed?

Bilbo sneaks away; Thranduil, hearing or sensing something, looks his way.

5. Note how it’s Thranduil, not Tauriel, who hears Bilbo leave/senses the presence of a third person in the room. Is it purely a coincidence or do you think it is intended to have a greater meaning? If so, what?

However, he quickly turns back at Tauriel who bows and prepares to leave.

“Legolas said you fought well today,” he says.
Tauriel can’t help but smile.

“He has grown very fond of you,” continues Thranduil.
Tauriel, surprised and embarrassed, looks away.

“I assure you, my lord, Legolas thinks of me as no more than a captain of the guard.”
“Perhaps he did once,” replies Thranduil. “Now, I’m not so sure.”
Thranduil walks past Tauriel to pour himself a cup of drink. Tauriel stays rooted in her spot, looking worried.
“I do not think you would allow your son to pledge himself to a lowly Silvan elf,” she says.
“No, you are right. I would not,” is Thranduil resolute. “Still, he cares about you. Do not give him hope where there is none.”
Tauriel looks anguished.

6. Do you think Tauriel has feelings for Legolas? What can you tell from her reaction to Thranduil’s comments and command?

7. Why is Thranduil against the idea of his son “pledging himself” to a Silvan elf?

The following is an excerpt from an interview with Evangeline Lilly:

You mentioned something that sort of triggered something in my mind, which is ‘Tell me something about her past’ and a lot of people won’t know because it doesn’t have a place in the film anymore. At one point it kind of did, but a part of Tauriel’s backstory is that she is an orphan. Her parents were killed by orcs. When you understand that, you suddenly understand how and why this girl became the lethal killing machine that she is, how she became the head of the elven guard, how she got taken under Thranduil’s wings, and why she’s so passionate about fighting the evil that is in Middle Earth. (my emphasis)

8. How does this relationship play out in this scene? Does it at all? How would you describe the relationship between Tauriel and Thranduil and their attitudes towards one another?

9. Do you think will see further interaction between these two characters in BOFA? Under what circumstances might this happen?

10. Any thoughts on (a) the performances of the actors, (b) costumes and/or scenery, (c) score, (d) cinematography, editing, lighting, visual effects etc.?

Next, we have Bolg and his orcs spy on the gate to the Woodland Realm.

“The gates are guarded,” says one the orcs.

They stride away down the river.

11. Why does Bolg say “not all of them” when the gate they attack the next day clearly is guarded? Is it a mistake on Bolg’s behalf or a continuity error?
EDIT: Bolg’s line „Shugi golgai” is subtitled incorrectly: it should say “Filthy Elves”, not “Not all of them”. (Thanks, Bofur01, for pointing that out!)

12. Is there anything else you’d like to say about this chapter? Any additional comments or observations?

Fire away! Smile

(DOS transcript used in the making of this CHOW: https://docs.google.com/...XQl08xz-U/edit?pli=1)

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Aug 1, 12:56pm)

Subject User Time
Chapter of the Week: King and Captain BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 1, 11:19am
    Sorry for the lack of analysis, but... Bofur01 Send a private message to Bofur01 Aug 1, 12:06pm
        I see! Thanks for clearing it up! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 1, 12:15pm
        It seems both sentences are incorrectly subtitled BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 1, 12:45pm
        Wait so did the production team actually get it wrong? Name Send a private message to Name Aug 1, 1:07pm
            They almost certainly knew what it meant.. Bofur01 Send a private message to Bofur01 Aug 1, 2:04pm
        ..... Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Aug 3, 3:27am
    Minor observation Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Aug 1, 1:50pm
    Well Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Aug 1, 8:55pm
        Thanks for the answers, Darkstone! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 2, 8:43am
    Pardon my drooling over Thranduil while I answer the questions Eruvandi Send a private message to Eruvandi Aug 1, 10:58pm
        Thanks for taking the time to answer, Eruvandi! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 2, 8:47am
    Here goes Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 2, 2:16am
        Tauriel Laineth Send a private message to Laineth Aug 2, 2:46am
            Yeah, all that too. Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 2, 3:27am
        Hey, Lurker! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 2, 8:50am
        Good observation, Lurker Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Aug 2, 11:22am
            Thanks Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 3, 2:49am
        Nice observation Kim Send a private message to Kim Aug 2, 6:51pm
            Thanks Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 3, 3:36am
    Another scene chock-full of subtleties Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Aug 2, 11:16am
        Glad to see you, Riven Delve! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 2, 11:24am
    Oh, and one more thing... Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Aug 2, 5:00pm
    Elves Kim Send a private message to Kim Aug 2, 6:30pm
        Thanks, Kim! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 2, 7:05pm
        *snert* Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Aug 2, 7:10pm
            Well Kim Send a private message to Kim Aug 2, 7:14pm
                Heh. Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Aug 2, 7:41pm
                    LoL Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 1:37pm
                        Real life does tend to get in the way Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Aug 4, 5:18pm
    My thoughts Noria Send a private message to Noria Aug 3, 2:40pm
        Thank you for the thorough answers, Noria! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 3, 8:34pm
            No thank you. Noria Send a private message to Noria Aug 4, 7:16pm
    Catching up Bernhardina Send a private message to Bernhardina Aug 5, 11:02am
        Thanks for answering, Bernhardina! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 5, 3:04pm
    Thrall arriving late ... busy week... Kerewyn Send a private message to Kerewyn Aug 7, 10:12pm
        I'm glad you could make it, Kerewyn! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Aug 7, 10:29pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.