The Hobbit Movie Promotions
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kernul

Aug 1 2014, 11:00am

Post #1 of 45 (1842 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Movie Promotions Can't Post

Hi Folks,

I'm doing a project on the Hobbit films for my school project, I'm researching the promotions Warner Bros. ran to promote the 2 hobbit films that have come out so far. I believe there was a 'Treasure Hunt' that they ran where the grand prize was attending the NZ premiere for the first film. Did any of you take part in that? Were there any other promotions that you guys took part in?

My objective is to find out what the core fans are exposed to and where/how they get their Middle-Earth fix; I'm not even sure if everybody is aware of the Treasure Hunt?

The next film, Battle of the 5 Armies, is out in Dec. If there was an online contest to get merchandise, tickets to preview screenings, etc., would you guys go for it?

ANY kind of feedback would be appreciated, I can't promise a trip to NZ, but my project can certainly make it to the people who make key decisions so any ideas would be great!!

Thanks in advance.
Kundul.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 1 2014, 2:30pm

Post #2 of 45 (1328 views)
Shortcut
The Denny's Promotion [In reply to] Can't Post

Another promotion for the first two films (that will probably also be repeated for the third) was put on by the Denny's Restaurant chain. It included a number of Middle-earth-themed breakfast and dinner selections plus free trading cards with any purchase (based on limited supplies).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

ozasaurus

Aug 1 2014, 3:14pm

Post #3 of 45 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Double Triple Tolkien TWednesday! Lol! Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

This obviously wasn't done for the first two Hobbits, but it was well-received for the RotK release. I do believe this needs to happen:

Trilogy Tuesday for the Hobbit?

or maybe DOUBLE TRIPLE TOLKIEN TWEDNESDAY!?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 1 2014, 8:20pm

Post #4 of 45 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Hi kernul. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've moved your post to the Main board because the Movie: Hobbit discussion board is moving very quickly right now, and your post will remain on page one longer on this discussion board.

Cheers.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

kernul

Aug 2 2014, 11:46am

Post #5 of 45 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Appreciate the comments folks, the trilogy tuesday sounds like a great idea.

I was wondering if hard-core hobbit fans (and I assume you guys are all big fans of The Hobbit - the story at least, if not the movies) would be interested in a quest to uncover clues and to get a grand prize?

Is that too much involvement? Would you rather just enter a code from a candy wrapper and get something or work at solving a puzzle?

I believe the average age on this forum is 21 (based on a poll done on this forum), I think the younger people would want something simple and the older ones more complicated.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 3 2014, 5:04am

Post #6 of 45 (1181 views)
Shortcut
I plan on going to that for sure this year. [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed out for two years because I was in Japan and then last year I just got busy. This year I'm going all out.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2014, 5:15am

Post #7 of 45 (1186 views)
Shortcut
can you link to the poll that indicted average age here was 21? // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

kernul

Aug 3 2014, 12:10pm

Post #8 of 45 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Average age on this forum. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Magpie,

Here's the poll I found.
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=724090;poll=results

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2014, 12:17pm

Post #9 of 45 (1175 views)
Shortcut
admittedly my math is rusty [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm not sure that poll indicates the average age of this forum is 21.

And even if we could figure the math for a particular age from questions that indicate ranges of ages, that's still only the age of people who voted. It's a 'for fun' poll but not a good scientific/factual indication of any true fact.

kernul

Aug 3 2014, 1:09pm

Post #10 of 45 (1179 views)
Shortcut
21.16667 years [In reply to] Can't Post

That's correct, the poll only shows the average age (21.17 to be exact) of the people who've done the poll - for all we know there could be lots of 50 year olds on this forum who haven't taken part in the poll.

Yes, it could be a "for fun" poll, but that's really all the true statistics that I have access to.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 3 2014, 2:10pm

Post #11 of 45 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Just be warned... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Denny's Middle-earth menu contains a lot of comfort foods. Be prepared for a lot of sugar and fat! There are, though, some excellent breakfast selections.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

shadowdog
Rohan

Aug 3 2014, 2:56pm

Post #12 of 45 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Errr....How about [In reply to] Can't Post

a 70 year old. A lot of people that grew up with the Hobbit and LoTRs books are quite a bit older than 21. Wink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 3 2014, 3:25pm

Post #13 of 45 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Well that poll is [In reply to] Can't Post

certainly not scientific with 127 out of 11,000 people voting.
But maybe an "indication"? 44% were in their 20s or less - pushing hard for 1/2.

I'm older that any choice given (well over 60 anyway).
I bear my innermost secrets by stating that I was born 7 days (Dec. 1) before the Pearl Harbor attack (you do the math).Wink

I think the Japanese figured if that's the best those American dogs can can come up with now is the time for world domination, and 7 days later the frivolity began.

Now I'm wondering who is the oldest TORn contributor?
(Come on now let's old duffers fess up!) I'll start with 72 1/2.

*** Senior Power! *** CrazyCrazy

Cuio i Pheriain anann! Aglar'ni Pheriannath!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2014, 5:49pm

Post #14 of 45 (1148 views)
Shortcut
how do you determine average age when people voted in a range. [In reply to] Can't Post

Say ten people voted to indicate they were between 30 and 40.

If all 10 were 30, the average age of those 10 would be 30.

If all 10 were 40, the average age of those 10 would be 40.

If 5 were 31 and 5 were 36 then the average age is 33.5.

But without knowing how old each individual is, then you can't determine the average age of that group.

You don't have enough information to determine average age from that poll.

And I still take some exception to these being 'true statistics'. Perhaps what you meant to say are "that's really all the actual statistics that I have access to." But the data from that poll isn't 'true statistics' in the sense they are accurate statistics. They are barely statistics at all.

As someone who has been a regular on this site for a long time, I get a sense of ages of people. Our demographic changes a lot. We would get a different sampling of people visiting month by month. When Hobbit news is hot and happening, the visits to this forum explode. They die back to regulars during slower news weeks. And those ebbs and flows aren't, imo, spread out over age demographics. The people who visit for short periods of time tend to be younger. They move on quickly. The people who linger longer tend to be older.

And the demographics of visitors to the Reading Room, LOTR movie forum, Hobbit forum, and Pollantir can be quite different. Pollantir is a board that a great many of our visitors NEVER visit.

I have never thought our average age was 21. My impression is we are much older than that. (and just in the last month, people I might have though were college age or slightly older have been revealed to be 50 and above. I rarely guess wrong in the other direction.) But then, if you're interested only in people hot on the Hobbit, that could be much younger than the site demographics in general.

And although I said my math was rusty, I have fairly good math skills. (better than 90% of my peer group while in school and easily that much better than a general demographic - but I work with and live in a group of engineers and accountants so I don't rank nearly so high with them!)

Trying to determine average age from that poll (to the year) is not, imo, good math or good statistics.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2014, 5:53pm

Post #15 of 45 (1156 views)
Shortcut
you are not the oldest [In reply to] Can't Post

I happen to know one TORn regular forum member is 73 but I won't out that person. :-)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 3 2014, 6:23pm

Post #16 of 45 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Yaaay!! Maybe he/she will "out" him/her self and we can [In reply to] Can't Post

ponder "the good ole days" . . of candy cigarettes, metal roller skates with keys, unlocked doors, muscle cars w/ no seatbelts, No television!!! (WHAT?) (Only "The Shadow" knows!) Wink

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2014, 7:01pm

Post #17 of 45 (1152 views)
Shortcut
'Who knows what evils lurk in the hearts of men.' [In reply to] Can't Post

Not from my time, but I listened to quite a few radio episodes--although it was a number of years ago... At least I know of what you speak!! Tongue

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 3 2014, 7:31pm

Post #18 of 45 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Yes you do... [In reply to] Can't Post

How about:

Who wore Badge 714?

What was the name of Gene Autry's horse?

What was Paladin's first name? (trick question)

Who was Red Ryder's sidekick?

How much did you win if you said "the secret woid"?

What was the name of Sky King's airplane?

Jump in anyone.... (I know OT)

kernul

Aug 4 2014, 11:35am

Post #19 of 45 (1121 views)
Shortcut
21, still. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Magpie,

You're right - it is a range. But if, based on whatever numbers I have available, I had to come up with a number, 21 is it.

That doesn't tell me anything other than the range of ages of people who've done the poll, but its a lot better than asking for your opinion or guessing what the actual age is.

Are you pissed off about the average being 21? I get the feeling you're not happy with the math I've done. Sorry.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 4 2014, 2:50pm

Post #20 of 45 (1113 views)
Shortcut
I am younger if that's important [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think if you did something simple you would get a wider range of participants.

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 3:38pm

Post #21 of 45 (1105 views)
Shortcut
I'm old enough to know some of these, [In reply to] Can't Post

but not old enough to get them all.

In Reply To
How about:

Who wore Badge 714?

What was the name of Gene Autry's horse?

What was Paladin's first name? (trick question)

Who was Red Ryder's sidekick?

How much did you win if you said "the secret woid"?

What was the name of Sky King's airplane?

Jump in anyone.... (I know OT)

Gene Autry's horse was Trigger, and his dog was Bullet.

I don't know Paladin's first name, but I can sing his song badly.

Sky King's first airplane was an old Cessna T70 "Bamboo Bomber" named Songbird; later he upgraded to a shiny new Cessna 310 named Songbird II.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 5:42pm

Post #22 of 45 (1101 views)
Shortcut
A knight without armor in a savage land ** Sing-along everybody ** [In reply to] Can't Post

Gene Autry's horse was Trigger, and his dog was Bullet.

I don't know Paladin's first name, but I can sing his song badly.

Sky King's first airplane was an old Cessna T70 "Bamboo Bomber" named Songbird; later he upgraded to a shiny new Cessna 310 named Songbird II.

Roy Rogers horse was Trigger & his dog was Bullet. (Trivia: Roy Rogers was “The King of the Cowboys” and Gene Autry was “The Singing Cowboy” (Autry’s biggest hit was “Rudolph the Red-nosed Raindeer”; and his horse was "Champion")). You nailed “Sky King” though.

Paladin’s first name is unknown. But his business card was shown at the beginning of each episode. So the standing joke was that his first name was “Wire”, (whereas, of course, the “Wire” part meant “telegraph”). Smile

photo Paladin.jpg

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 11:39am

Post #23 of 45 (1105 views)
Shortcut
I suppose the other thing to remember is that "average" does not have to mean "typical" [In reply to] Can't Post

The poll results are (at the time of writing):
20% under 20
24% in my 20s
9% in my 30s
24% in my 40s
15% in my 50s
8% over 60

(It's still open for voting btw; http://newboards.theonering.net/...threaded;post=724090 )

I think the confusion is this:
As a statistical activity you can estimate an average (e.g. by assuming that the group "in my 20s" average 25 years old; the thirty-somethings average 35 years old etc.) . It will give you an arithmetical mean with some scope for error (as Magpie says, maybe all the "in my 30's" were 30, or maybe they were all 39), but all statistics have scope for error: it isn't inherently invalid.

But the average (technically the mean) is not very helpful here, due to the scatter of ages we have.

If you ask me to use the poll data t guess the age of a random TORN poster, the data tell me that "under 30" is only just a smidge less likely (at 44% of sample) than "40 or over" (which adds up to 49% of the sample). If the poll is reporting accurately that we a=don't have many 30 year olds, we have a biphasic population, and averaging them all up conceals this.

For an analagoy consider doing the same exercise on "what is the average height of a member of the Fellowship of the Ring" (I mean the characters, not the actors in the movie recruited to play characters)

We have a group of 4 hobbits - height range of hobbits 2 - 4 foot
We have a dwarf - typical height a bit taller than hobbits

We have 2 men, and an elf and a wizard (who I imagine as man-height, though I might have missed something) - Aragorn is described as "tall" so maybe they are in the range 5'6" - 6'6"

Average those heights out, & you'd conclude that the average height is roughly dwarf-high, I think. But that is not at all indicative of the +typical+ height. Like our poll data, that anomaly comes because we don't have a number that groups around one middle value - a graph would have 2 humps not one.

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Aug 5 2014, 11:42am)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 11:57am

Post #24 of 45 (1089 views)
Shortcut
And not forgetting to try & help with the project... [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome kernul. The statistical discussion sub thread reminds me that you could, if you want, head over to the "Pollantir"
http://newboards.theonering.net/.../gforum.cgi?forum=2;
put up a poll with various options and ask people to vote for the kind of promotion that would interest them. Maybe that would give you more data for your project than analysing replied to this thread alone?

And you can do statistics (and as we've seen, statistics are fun!! Angelic )

For myself; I'm not massively motivated by promotions. I'll go & see the last hobbit film, but I'm not personally a collector of Tolkien items, nor a cosplayer or gamer. I mostly like reading the books & discussing them here, all of which I can do already. So I can't quickly think of a promotion I'd personally be keen to take up. But that's probably my lack of imagination...

How typical I am is...oh yes, we were debating that Wink

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 1:45pm

Post #25 of 45 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Greetings kernul, [In reply to] Can't Post

As I’ve left my mathematics brain long in the past could you show how you came up with 21.17 as the average age of the poll takers.
I’m looking at it like this: (As the poll now stands.)

67 people are less than 40
61 people are more than 40

Wouldn’t this make an average age of (the poll takers) in the neighborhood of 36-37 years? Or am I totally off-the-wall in my thinking? (Wouldn't be the first time!)

Curious Cheers! Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.