The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Theory about the laketown bound dwarves returning to erebor

FiliSonOfDis
Rivendell

Aug 1 2014, 4:17am

Post #1 of 7 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Theory about the laketown bound dwarves returning to erebor Can't Post

So in the latest Trailer Oin, Bofur, Fili, and Kili can be seen in several scenes returning to Erebor. Walking down stairs, standing at the top of some stairs while Thorin is in the Gold Hoard bellow, an over head shot of them running into the gate etc...

Spoiler alert (Maybe) in another thread someone showed an on set pic of Thorin (in armor) battling with Orcrist. Now it's compeltely possible that when the Orcs show up and everyone casts their differences aside and join forces that he is given Orcrist back.

However due to something I noticed in the shots of Oin, Bofur, Fili, and Kili returning I have a different theory...

What I noticed is that Oin, Bofur, Fili, and Kili are all wearing their outfits from BEFORE the elves captured them in mirkwood and NOT their lake town garb we last saw them in!

I seriously doubt a movie like this would have people creating CGI of them running through Erebor in the wrong clothing for this point of the journey, it is FAR too big of an error for these movies with the kind of attention to detail WETA does.

So I'm GUESSING that they will not return to Erebor until after lake town is destroyed and the elves show up in the laketown refugee camps. I'm also guessing the elves possibly GIVE the 4 Dwarves their stuff back (orcrist included) as a show of good will in hopes of getting some of the treasure or soemthing. The dwarves may even be returning to Erebor in order to give Thorin a message from Thranduil/Bard about sharing the treasure or something.

Aranaes
Rivendell

Aug 1 2014, 5:08am

Post #2 of 7 (754 views)
Shortcut
You're right, it would be far too big an error to make.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....which is why the dwarves are not wearing their old clothes. Your eyes have been cheated by some spell, Fili son of Dis!

'And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)!'

Owain
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2014, 6:27am

Post #3 of 7 (723 views)
Shortcut
I think that is a sound theory... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Aug 1 2014, 3:48pm

Post #4 of 7 (569 views)
Shortcut
Very plausible - I never thought about that before!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 1 2014, 9:11pm

Post #5 of 7 (551 views)
Shortcut
I wondered about those clothes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to re-watch the trailer, but I've always wondered about their coats. Thorin was wearing his coat when he was thrown into the cell, but by then everyone else was not wearing their coats. I did think, while Kili was talking to Tauriel, that I could see his coat in the background, but then why wouldn't they take their coats with them? I wouldn't leave my coat behind. Maybe it will be explained in the EE.

FiliSonOfDis
Rivendell

Aug 2 2014, 4:26pm

Post #6 of 7 (503 views)
Shortcut
Fili has the "sharpest" eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

No but seriously look at some of the HD images here:

http://thorinoakenshield.net/battle-of-five-armies-teaser-trailer-screencaps/

it's definitely their old outfits in those shots.

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 4:33am

Post #7 of 7 (409 views)
Shortcut
coats [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili did have his coat on going into the cell though.

As to leaving them behind, when you have no guards near enough to witness an escape attempt, when it's nearly dawn (and as such they were probably sleeping or just waking up, and since they weren't exactly planning on going anywhere for a good long while, I doubt they'd sleep in their coats), and when they have no idea when the next guard would make his/her rounds, and when Bilbo's there and has a key, and you're desperate to get out....

Yeah, I'd leave my coat behind too (or maybe not- it's supposed to be nearing winter, but they're dwarves and aren't as affected by cold and heat as humans are).

At the very least, I wouldn't waste possibly precious time getting any more clothes/armor on if this was my one and only chance to escape what was very likely a life in prison sentence! It's not like they were in their underwear (well most of them- Dwalin does look like it's only his long underwear and trousers and boots). And bracers, gloves, coats, etc....I am an archer and I know for a fact that it does take a bit of time to get bracers on at least.

Nope- I'd be leaving asap too, all things considered Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.