Thorin
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

delius82
Rivendell

Jul 31 2014, 6:36pm

Post #1 of 27 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Thorin Can't Post

Don't know if i'm the only one who feels this way but I find myself wanting to hold onto the image of Thorin as he was moreso in AUJ and DOS honorable, brave, caring about his Fellowship of Drawves and a Halfling. I don't like the idea of him going "mad". Am I the only one who feels this way?

At any rate i'm starting to look more forward to TBOFA the more I watch the trailer.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 6:59pm

Post #2 of 27 (1268 views)
Shortcut
At heart Thorin is honourable, brave and a dedicated leader... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. all of those things. He isn't going to change into another person. That's the good bit - you can hold onto that image of him. But the story is the story, and the treasure, the circumstances, the negative sides in his own nature are going to have an effect on him.

But the thing is, if he weren't strong and honourable - all the qualities you value in him - no one would care about what happens to him. What you're feeling is the reason that he's still worth caring about. Like Boromir. He's a good person who gets it wrong, and he'll realise it too.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 7:34pm

Post #3 of 27 (1189 views)
Shortcut
He has always had great pride [In reply to] Can't Post

in addition to those other traits. I, for one, am quite excited to see him "go mad". I'm sure Armitage is quite capable of handling the descent, and I think it's going to be very dramatic. Can't wait!

Rickster
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 8:07pm

Post #4 of 27 (1162 views)
Shortcut
I think in his final moments [In reply to] Can't Post

The good will come out again

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 8:09pm

Post #5 of 27 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the entire point of the book. He realizes that wealth, power, and pride aren't worth fighting over.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 8:20pm

Post #6 of 27 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Any doubters should watch North and South or Strike back [In reply to] Can't Post

He acts the best when hes angry.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

delius82
Rivendell

Jul 31 2014, 9:20pm

Post #7 of 27 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Thank you.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..for your reply Dormouse. I think you were speaking right to my heart. Watching Thorin's evolution over these films has been quite interesting.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 10:08pm

Post #8 of 27 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should say that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Don't know if i'm the only one who feels this way but I find myself wanting to hold onto the image of Thorin as he was moreso in AUJ and DOS honorable, brave, caring about his Fellowship of Drawves and a Halfling. I don't like the idea of him going "mad". Am I the only one who feels this way?

At any rate i'm starting to look more forward to TBOFA the more I watch the trailer.

I wrote a post where I considered NOT seeing TBoFA in theaters, but instead waiting for the DVD so I could just watch half the movie - not wanting it to end, and not wanting to watch the Heirs of Durin die (NONE of 'em!). But if you want to get right down to it, I thought Thorin was awful snotty in AUJ towards Bilbo, downright cruel at times. And he was rude to the elves as well. I liked him much better as a person(?) in DOS, even though he left poor Kili behind. Understandable under the circumstances, and it looked like it did bother Thorin to do so.

But I guess both of us will have to suck it up on Dec. 17th and follow our beloved Thorin one last time...(sniff)Heart

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 10:12pm

Post #9 of 27 (1064 views)
Shortcut
No, you're not the only one... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I'm also not looking forward to Thorin going "mad", that's going to be hard to watch. Like someone said in an interview (I think it was Philippa Boyens, though I'm uncertain), this is going to be quite heartbreaking to watch. So much that you want him to come back, much like Frodo did with Gollum in Lord of the Rings. Unfortunately, Gollum's too far gone to ever revert back to his former self, but I have faith in Thorin. It's not like it's Thorin's fault, it runs in the family (which makes it even more heartbreaking, like watching a close friend or family member go through the same thing and not being able to do anything about it. I don't know about you, but I hate that helpless feeling). And like another poster already mentioned, I find Thorin even more appealing when he's riled up (but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Not that I'm afraid of him or anything, since I love the tougher, warrior types, but that doesn't mean I dislike the nicer ones). When I first viewed North & South, the one scene where John Thornton really reminded me of Thorin was when he punished that worker for smoking. I don't think Thorin would ever take it that far, but I wouldn't put it past him (and I wouldn't judge him for it either, since everyone has flaws, and I don't think anyone wants to be judged by them).Unsure

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 10:48pm

Post #10 of 27 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Course not - you are not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't write the pages I could about the grief I feel for this character, who had already suffered enough. And you know it's hard when even the script writer talks about it being gut-wrenching, what happens to him.
Yep, since Thorin's my favorite, I feel sick thinking about it.

But Thorin as a character will always be the character I was introduced to, just as he will always be King Under the Mountain, and just as he was king even when stripped of his possessions. Just like
real life when someone is struck with something, or a beloved pet. Who they are, and what they may be hurt by, are two different things.

EvilThat said *evil snark* re the recent thread about PJ, the Empire article, and movie length, *sulk* re POTENTIAL too-tight editingFrown, one can hope enough screen time is given to these tragic moments,
as opposed to having them whip past at the speed of light so we barely pick up on them. In that case no grieving Thorin fan such as myself has to be concerned, and can view the whole thing in
complete safety.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 10:58pm

Post #11 of 27 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Sigh - poor comfort but [In reply to] Can't Post

I try to hold onto what I can. *Grimly* because it's the end for all, really, after 30 years? don't think PJ will be back to ME. I can see him doing re-cuts and
and special editions, but he never seems - unlike Ridley Scott who seems to just keep going - to be afire to continue with ME, even tho it's been said
that PJ was "born to make these movies." Of course PJ is entitled to do as he likes, but I hate to see PJ's ME end.....

And you are not the only one re thinking about waiting for the DVD - if the trailer had me welling up, do I want to sit in a theater through this, or have
more control, plus what if I don't FEEL like watching the end, or I don't want most other folks around me? I know it's just a movie, but there are books
and films I want to savor on my own, not with the general public and all that comes with that, good or bad.

As it is, for me Middle Earth is a better place to think about with Thorin and the Heirs in it. So for me, don't know what I will do yet - probably go to
a theater when it's slow and few people, unless I get too hyped - too early to say.Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 11:01pm

Post #12 of 27 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Dormouse, just had to agree here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But the thing is, if he weren't strong and honourable - all the qualities you value in him - no one would care about what happens to him.

LOL I am not seeing anyone worrying/grieving over the fate of the Master and Alfrid, tho I think those two are delicious characters.WinkHeartCool

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2014, 11:45pm

Post #13 of 27 (1073 views)
Shortcut
I've always been a little bothered by the movie people using the word "mad" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so far off from the description in the book. I'm hoping it's just a loose usage of the word and that they haven't done anything ridiculous, and from what we've seen in the trailer so far, it doesn't look like they have. However, I think the word 'mad' presents a very exaggerated image of the gold lust that Tolkien describes. It's not pretty, but there's no hint in the book that Thorin ever goes mad in the sense that he doesn't know what he's doing. I think some of the interviews have carelessly given the impression that Thorin is going to be some raving lunatic running around Erebor with his pants on his head, and I'm pretty confident that that is not at all what we are going to see (thank goodness Smile ).

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 11:48pm

Post #14 of 27 (1027 views)
Shortcut
and PSing my own post w. artwork *sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

just because these feel like what is to come.Frown

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 11:56pm

Post #15 of 27 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Applaudes Elarie!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. and twice more.

Because Thror was also, obviously functioning as king. I was concerned as to where PJ would take things - and unfortunately in the future
am sure some less respectful director will exaggerate what seems to be more akin to a chemical addiction (and not in the worst stages),
e.g. POSSIBLY mood swings, irritability, aggressiveness, suspicion. Which is quite enough IMO.

And if folks want to see something like the Joker, they can always re-watch Batman and the like.Cool

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2014, 12:10am

Post #16 of 27 (1017 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

And as for having mixed feelings about seeing the movie, I confess I have none at all. I just can't wait to see it all play out, and I really, really can't wait to see RA's performance. Unless I'm abducted by aliens or something, I'll be in the theater on Day 1 with eyes glued to the screen and plenty of kleenex in my purse. (And, after all, I long ago changed the ending in my head, so what happens on the screen isn't really the REAL ending. Wink )

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 1 2014, 12:27am

Post #17 of 27 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Grins - you too? [In reply to] Can't Post

(And, after all, I long ago changed the ending in my head, so what happens on the screen isn't really the REAL ending. Wink )

I've even added another female character in my head, whom I like a lot, tho Tolkien would thoroughly disapprove this one
is rather a mix of Jack Sparrow and some other stuff, with a sliding scale of morality, and she's pretty jaded. But she helps the dwarves,
because, she gets mad at Thranduil for imprisoning the dwarves re economic reasons for one, and worries about another war when the
other dwarf kingdoms get riled up. And so on. I was never into fan-ficing, but maybe I'll write it down one day to cheer myself up.

Happy for you if you are going day #1. I just don't know, myself, and it is way too early. Plus, in all seriousness, how heavy can this
movie be w. so much seemingly crammed into it - aaagh!!!Crazy First the EE to get into my hands, and get rewatched and rewatchedSmileHeartTongue

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 1 2014, 2:59am

Post #18 of 27 (975 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry Avandel, Thorin won't be dying in any of my fan fics... [In reply to] Can't Post

because why would I want to write about something that will depress me to no end? After all, it's your story, you can shape it the way you like. And since most fan fics are "what if" scenarios anyways, it's not like it's wrong to alter the ending to something that you can live with. My female character is nothing like Capt. Jack and a little more like me, but altered to fit in more with Middle-earth. There are certain things that I would do that wouldn't fit a dwarven women in Middle-earth, so if I'm unsure if dwarves would behave in that way, I simply leave it out. As for waiting to see BoFA until it gets released on Blu-ray and DVD? I don't think so. For starters, since the new HFR 3D doesn't get released on Blu-ray and DVD (that I'm aware of), the theater is the only place I'll see this version, and secondly, doesn't Thorin look much better on a large movie screen (and in 3D) than on a small 28 inch television screen (which is the biggest television I've ever owned, so far)? Though I won't be going on opening night (that just doesn't work for me, especially if it's released in the middle of the week), I'm still contemplating going on Tuesday (since it will be cheap night), but since mom won't want to pick me up at 1:00 in the morning (there are no midnight showings in my neck of the woods. The closest is a 10:00 p.m. showing the night before), it will probably be the following Sunday afternoon.

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw the following headline somewhere: "Final installment of Hobbit movie trilogy sees surge in Kleenex box tissue sales, especially amongst fans of the three Heirs of Durin (Thorin, Fili and Kili)." Good thing I don't wear make-up (it already takes me an hour to get ready in the morning. If I wore make-up, it would take two hours and three if I have to shower first), so I don't have to worry about purchasing any waterproof mascara. Only chapstick and aloe vera (since I have sensitive skin) facial cream for me.Wink

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

delius82
Rivendell

Aug 1 2014, 4:29am

Post #19 of 27 (969 views)
Shortcut
You guys all rock.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Onwards to December with the best Intentions for "Our" favorite characters.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2014, 1:25pm

Post #20 of 27 (924 views)
Shortcut
We all know that the real Thorin became King Under the Mountain, [In reply to] Can't Post

and then defied tradition by marrying a short girl who wasn't a dwarf. They had six rowdy kids who broke the forges, lost their dad's best tools, fell off their ponies and kept Oin busy with ointments and bandages, and constantly sneaked off to the forest to set booby traps for the elves (which never worked but they kept trying); and most importantly, they all lived happily ever after.

Tolkien was such a drama queen. Sheesh. Wink

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Aug 1 2014, 3:52pm

Post #21 of 27 (885 views)
Shortcut
I think this is what Peter wants us to think of. [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew in DOS that he was going to become extremely *cough* money mad *cough*. The Arkenstone confrontation between Bilbo and himself proved my thoughts - so I rewatched AUJ and I'm holding on to the "good" Thorin for the time-being. Smile

Did you see that expression in the Gold Room in the trailer? The bags under his eyes... *shudders* those sleepless nights and weary thoughts... Eru Iluvatar save me! Evil

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 1 2014, 4:37pm

Post #22 of 27 (868 views)
Shortcut
*grins* too true - shocking that Tolkien altered a beloved true legend [In reply to] Can't Post

And of course, the entire family is famed throughout Middle Earth for the most spectacular hair, so much so that an enterprising conglomerate of dwarves forged a relationship with the Ents and the Mirkwood elves, producing an elite line of hair care products.

The first billboards in Middle Earth featured Thorin and his family advertising the incredibly successful product launch, which could also be used to control parasites. However, the Rivendell elves were so disgusted by the billboards sullying Middle Earth, they left in a huff.

Thranduil promptly claimed Rivendell as a vacation property.

As a side note, rumor has it that Thorin and his rowdy Company will be making appearances on the next season of Game of Thrones. Quote an anonymous source: "George Martin likes to mix things up in the series, and non-geeks have complained they can't figure out who is who or why they are fighting anyway. So why not bring in another family? Led by a popular king with amazing hair - it's a guaranteed ratings boost!"

Guess who wins. Because, after all, *cough* experience is the best teacher. Or as Thorin puts it:
"There's something satisfying about having dragon-skin boots made for the whole family". EvilWinkShocked

(This post was edited by Avandel on Aug 1 2014, 4:39pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 1 2014, 4:47pm

Post #23 of 27 (849 views)
Shortcut
Good point, Queen - guess I have no choice re a theater [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm NOT going to sit around months!

BTW, see you got your avvie - glad you found it...*grins*CoolTongue

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 1 2014, 4:57pm

Post #24 of 27 (861 views)
Shortcut
I don't want to mix things up [In reply to] Can't Post

but.. do you know that many GOT fans on the net would like to have Richard Armitage as Victarion Greyjoy?

But they have not cast this role yet...
By the way, he would be a perfect choice...

http://images6.fanpop.com/...95663241532_full.png

This a kind of "official" fanart for Victarion Greyjoy, who has sailed to Meereen to go to Daenerys..

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2014, 8:01pm

Post #25 of 27 (830 views)
Shortcut
LOL - I want dragon skin boots, too, preferably with the jewels still stuck in the hide [In reply to] Can't Post

And where did you find that fabulous picture? Is that one of Thorin's Thralls tenderly tending the majestic mane? Imagine having that as your full time job. Sigh. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.