Return of the King Deleted Scenes

shaundobson
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 7:33pm

Post #1 of 16 (3008 views)
Shortcut
Return of the King Deleted Scenes Can't Post

Frodo as Gollum: Probably a TTT scene
Apparently this scene was a dream that Faramir has of Frodo turning into gollum, thus highlighting how evil the ring is and changing Faramir's mind on taking the ring.

Frodo and Sam in Osgiliath Sewers ? After Faramir lets them go in the extended ediiton of TTT you see them enter a dark tunnel like this one

Aragorn heals Faramir: Must be after the battle of Pelenorr Fields

Aragorn getting ready for the final battle at the Black Gate:
This reminds me of king Theoden's scene before the battle of Helms Deep

Legolas and Gimli Epilogue: Don't know why Legolas visites Fangorn but i know Gimli went onto create a dwarvish settlement in the Glittering Caves, this epilogue would have shown that.

(This post was edited by shaundobson on Jul 27 2014, 7:38pm)

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 8:35pm

Post #2 of 16 (2658 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen any photos [In reply to] Can't Post

But I know that Faramir and Éowyn's wedding was filmed. I remember reading an article on Ain't It Cool News. The reporter was actually on set when they filmed it. This is the thing I'm most disappointed that we've never seen.

TolkienBlog.com

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 27 2014, 10:31pm

Post #3 of 16 (2645 views)
Shortcut
I have book that has the photograph of Faramir being healed! [In reply to] Can't Post

And have always been disappointed it was not shown. The houses of healing was one my favorite chapters.

PattyJB
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 12:47am

Post #4 of 16 (2641 views)
Shortcut
Remember Gimli and Legolas after Helm's Deep. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Legolas and Gimli Epilogue: Don't know why Legolas visites Fangorn but i know Gimli went onto create a dwarvish settlement in the Glittering Caves, this epilogue would have shown that.

Legolas and Gimli agreed to travel with each other after the war was over and I think this travel is what is shown here.

From The Two Towers: The Road to Isengard:

"You move me, Gimli," said Legolas. "I have never heard you speak like this before. Almost you make me regret that I have not seen these caves. Come! Let us make this bargain -- if we both return safe out of the perils that await us, we will journey for a while together. You shall visit Fangorn with me, and then I will come with you to see Helm's Deep."

"That would not be the way of return that I should choose," said Gimli. "But I will endure Fangorn, if I have your promise to come back to the caves and share their wonder with me."

"You have my promise," said Legolas. "But alas! Now we must leave behind both cave and wood for a while. See! We are coming to the end of the trees.

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 2:34am

Post #5 of 16 (2636 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be upset... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if I never saw the Frodo/Gollum one.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 28 2014, 4:10am

Post #6 of 16 (2615 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Me too! That looks just weird. Crazy

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jul 28 2014, 4:11am)

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 4:32am

Post #7 of 16 (2599 views)
Shortcut
Which is probably why they cut it [In reply to] Can't Post

TolkienBlog.com

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2014, 7:07am

Post #8 of 16 (2621 views)
Shortcut
super extended edition [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still hoping for a super extra extended edition. I'd be fine with seeing all of these deleted scenes (there are soooooo many) just as bonus features on a separate disc on the next blu-ray release. But to me there are a few scenes that should have been put back in the movies. Of course it's hard to say for sure without actually seeing the scenes play out. But based on what we know about some of them, I think I'm not alone in saying that a few extra minutes would be more than welcome.

some I'd like to see actually put back in:
-Samwise facing the watchers at the gate of Cirith Ungol
-Aragorn healing Faramir
-the epilogue stuff with Legolas and Gimli
-the "mythic library scene"
-Legolas and Treebeard talking about the passing of the elves (I know it was supposed to transition into the scene with Arwen and that wouldn't work with the way they ended up cutting the film, but I don't care)

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jul 28 2014, 7:07am)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jul 28 2014, 8:24am

Post #9 of 16 (2596 views)
Shortcut
What... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is this ''mythic library scene'' of which you speak...?

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 12:52am

Post #10 of 16 (2530 views)
Shortcut
library scene [In reply to] Can't Post

It was mentioned in the RotK commentary. It was one of the Arwen scenes that didn't get put back in. They didn't go into much detail, but I assume it shows why Arwen is holding that book (the one she drops). That part still feels so random without explaining the significance of the book. I think it was about the Paths of the Dead or something. And the "mythic library scene" might include that bit from the trailer where Elrond says, "You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore." I'm still disappointed that some of that stuff wasn't put back in because those early RotK Arwen scenes feel clunky and heavily edited.

phij2
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 3:06pm

Post #11 of 16 (2496 views)
Shortcut
please more.... [In reply to] Can't Post

i would love it if pj would at least release these scenes by themselves. i think we are unlikely to get another super-extended edition, but we could at least have a look at these extra scenes!!Sly

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 10:57pm

Post #12 of 16 (2470 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be wonderful!

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr25.jpg

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2014, 3:12am

Post #13 of 16 (2466 views)
Shortcut
waiting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just hoping they release them with the inevitable post-Hobbit release boxset. I don't want to have to wait as long as people did for the deleted scenes of the original Star Wars trilogy...Unimpressed

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jul 31 2014, 6:07pm

Post #14 of 16 (2427 views)
Shortcut
All right... [In reply to] Can't Post

...thank you.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Aug 2 2014, 5:03pm

Post #15 of 16 (2416 views)
Shortcut
I'm dying for a super extra extended edition!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe pj will give us one in a few years!!! :)

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

It is our fight!~ Tauriel

I fear neither death nor pain! ~Eowyn

moreorless
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 7:36pm

Post #16 of 16 (2401 views)
Shortcut
I'm always a bit uncertain about adding to the endings... [In reply to] Can't Post

For all the criticism they've gotten since ROTK was released I'v always felt the endings were some of the best editing of the entire trilogy, clearly focused on showing us the changes the core characters(Frodo, Sam, Aragorn) had gone though. Legolas and Gimli aren't just supporting characters but we'd IMHO also already seen the changes they'd gone though with the "side by side with a friend" scene at the black gate, we'd not even seen there lives away from the main story.

With Eoywen and Faramir I'v always felt her "marrying on the rebound" did her a bit of a diservice so I think leaving it as a starting romance made a lot more sense,

I'd agree the Arwen material felt like it needed a little more as did the houses of the healing although equally there are some scenes I'd cut that just didn't work for me, mainly the Mouth of Sauron and the Corsairs being attacked.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Aug 5 2014, 7:36pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.