Arannir
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 1:05pm

Post #1 of 28 (1373 views)
Shortcut
For those having a 4k TV or screen... Can't Post

... the trailer again in... 4k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0DF6Bl_Sw

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

adt100
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 1:14pm

Post #2 of 28 (989 views)
Shortcut
Impressive! Can anyone with 4k verify/zoom in on the opening image of the chamber behind Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 31 2014, 1:24pm

Post #3 of 28 (985 views)
Shortcut
It's almost certainly just an upscale so people can test their systems :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Jul 31 2014, 1:45pm

Post #4 of 28 (1020 views)
Shortcut
It is as I feared... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just downloaded it, and zoomed in... It certainly looks like an upscale as the quality doesn't look any clearer than the 1080p version...Sorry

"Such is the nature of evil, in time all foul things come forth."

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 2:07pm

Post #5 of 28 (955 views)
Shortcut
Seeing as how [In reply to] Can't Post

the films are mastered in 2k i seriously doubt that any media source has a 4k version of anything that isn't up-resed.

Bishop
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 4:29pm

Post #6 of 28 (894 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how youtube is handling these videos or how they were encoded, but a screen by screen comparison between the 1080p and 2160p absolutely show a difference in resolution.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 4:42pm

Post #7 of 28 (886 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, [In reply to] Can't Post

it IS an upscale.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 4:46pm

Post #8 of 28 (888 views)
Shortcut
I posted this... [In reply to] Can't Post

... after I read some posts who commented on how it does seem to be good HD.

I am sorry that this does not seem to be the case.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Bishop
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 8:09pm

Post #9 of 28 (829 views)
Shortcut
To clarify [In reply to] Can't Post

If this was an upscale, wouldn't the 4K resolution stream on youtube look worse than the 1080p version? This is not the case. For all intents and purposes, the 4k version on YT as compared to the 1080p version on YT is of better resolution, as anyone can see by doing a strict screen by screen comparison. As I said earlier I don't know how it was uploaded or encoded on YT, but the fact remains the 4K version is better. And I think it looks wonderful. :)

adt100
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 9:29pm

Post #10 of 28 (795 views)
Shortcut
Trailer is playing with 'Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D in the UK :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 31 2014, 9:31pm

Post #11 of 28 (795 views)
Shortcut
Went to the cinema yesterday hoping it would be with Dawn of Apes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm annoyed now :p

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 9:36pm

Post #12 of 28 (791 views)
Shortcut
If you compare [In reply to] Can't Post

the 1080p youtube version with the original DVCPRO HD version that the studio released it looks about the same.

adt100
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 9:46pm

Post #13 of 28 (792 views)
Shortcut
Well, DOTA is one of the best films of the year so far :) [In reply to] Can't Post

So not a wasted trip!

Bishop
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 9:52pm

Post #14 of 28 (788 views)
Shortcut
Compare the 4K and 1080p on youtube [In reply to] Can't Post

The 4K and 1080p version on youtube are different, and the 4K version is a higher resolution. Those are the only two things I'm comparing. Check screenshots of the two back to back at full screen.

Plus If the 1080p version was upscaled to 4K size it would degrade, not look identical, and certainly not better!

(This post was edited by Bishop on Jul 31 2014, 9:54pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 31 2014, 10:21pm

Post #15 of 28 (762 views)
Shortcut
Upscaled would look less sharp... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. But if it were a decent conversion, It would look slightly better than 1080p.

See here: http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/upscaled-1080P-vs-4K

Bishop
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 10:52pm

Post #16 of 28 (750 views)
Shortcut
Yes exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

The 4k version is not less sharp. It is more sharp, because it's a higher resolution. At least in Youtube this is the case. I have plenty of experience uploading video content and at many different resolutions, and the option of 4K would not even be a selectable option in the player if it were not loaded at that size. So therefore a video at 4K was loaded. Now, whether it was upscaled to that size is the question. And the answer is no, because it is not degraded but rather higher quality.

Are people just guessing it was upscaled? Where is anyone getting this information from?

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 31 2014, 11:11pm

Post #17 of 28 (746 views)
Shortcut
We're guessing that be because.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit films are mastered in 2k. And the official YouTube videos are in 1080p. I doubt they'd go to the effort of rendering the trailer in 4k...

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 11:28pm

Post #18 of 28 (746 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

i meant the youtube 4k and the original studio release 1080 look about the same. obviously the youtube 1080 looks terrible comparatively

Bishop
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 11:30pm

Post #19 of 28 (740 views)
Shortcut
OK, let's figure it out :) [In reply to] Can't Post

So I downloaded the video from youtube directly, and the size of the video is 4K (3668 × 1536 technically). So we don't need to debate that at the very least the comp was 4K. So then you're suggesting that they did an expert upscale of the 1080p version to a 4K comp (making it look better along the way), and then uploaded it to youtube giving better results for the 4K HD option?

(This post was edited by Bishop on Jul 31 2014, 11:34pm)

Bishop
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 11:40pm

Post #20 of 28 (736 views)
Shortcut
Gotcha :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 1 2014, 12:05am

Post #21 of 28 (730 views)
Shortcut
BTW [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree that it would be overkill and unlikely to produce a trailer in true 4K. But however it was coded for youtube the difference in res makes it totally worth the view.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2014, 6:25am

Post #22 of 28 (708 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing that the 6 film box set will have a 4K or UHD special, ultimate.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... colossal, extended, super duper version.

They shot The Hobbit Trilogy in 5K as an investment... and 35 mm is technically 4k so my guess is there will be a 4K version of all 6 films... probably coinciding with the economics of 4K TVs becoming mainstream.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 1 2014, 8:01am

Post #23 of 28 (692 views)
Shortcut
Nope... [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks sharper because it has been artificially sharpened after upscaling. I know sharpening artefacts when I see them.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Fleuz
Lorien

Aug 1 2014, 8:09am

Post #24 of 28 (690 views)
Shortcut
Under the link I can only [In reply to] Can't Post

choose the 720p Version.
Not even Full-HD.

Wierd... Mad

Bofur01
Lorien

Aug 1 2014, 9:55am

Post #25 of 28 (680 views)
Shortcut
Google has put limitations on 1080p+... [In reply to] Can't Post

And only allows it on HTML5 browsers now. Try chrome.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.