Empire NEW INFO (BOTFA RUNTIME)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 11:57am

Post #1 of 63 (3047 views)
Shortcut
Empire NEW INFO (BOTFA RUNTIME) Can't Post

Please post new discoveries from the magazine in this thread.

I'll start off (I'm midway through reading it) with news that PJ is working with a runtime of 2:30. This number is explicitly stated as the current runtime, and the length PJ is aiming for. Also, the current total runtime of all extended middle earth films (using current estimates of DOS EE and the theatrical version of BOTFA) is 19hrs 38 mins!

Two and a half hours PJ says is the right length for a 'thriller' and I think could help the critical reception for the film (and leave plenty of material for the BOTFA EE!)

He also says:

I was just rather thrown off my game. I mean, the actors were great the whole way through, but I am more proud of my part in the job in the third movie than the others. This is the one I will be most pleased with

(Referring to difficulties with the scheduling in the first two films due to GDT leaving, his perforated ulcer and an immovable released date).

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Jul 31 2014, 12:02pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 11:59am

Post #2 of 63 (1734 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully that's without credits! [In reply to] Can't Post

Any news on the DoS: EE in there by any chance? I'm dying for some. I hoped it would be formally announced today (with a clip like last year!) but I guess we might not find out until next week now.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 12:01pm

Post #3 of 63 (1723 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info.

So...

AUJ=2hr 49min
DOS=2hr 41min
BotFA=2hr 30min

... the wordier the title, the shorter the runtime? FrownTongue Was really hoping for more, not less. Oh well, as long as it's G.O.O.D.

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 12:04pm

Post #4 of 63 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Well I don't think his estimate would include credits [In reply to] Can't Post

Essentially, without credits, AUJ is 2:40 and DOS is 2:30. Perhaps BOTFA will be the same length as DOS.

It's also nice to hear PJ saying he has more time at the moment, unlike the constant stress during pickups last year. Should mean we have fewer last minute changes, and an amazing less rushed theatrical score!

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 12:04pm

Post #5 of 63 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Unless... [In reply to] Can't Post

That 2:30 is without credits, in which case we'd be looking at something very close to DoS.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 12:06pm

Post #6 of 63 (1667 views)
Shortcut
AH... THANKS! [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes me feel a little better Smile

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2014, 12:12pm

Post #7 of 63 (1799 views)
Shortcut
The article also says... [In reply to] Can't Post

He will keep watching and cutting his film, determined to get it down to a "lean machine" of two-twenty ("but don't hold me to that!"), while simultaneously elaborating on sequences as he does.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jul 31 2014, 12:13pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Post #8 of 63 (1665 views)
Shortcut
Feel free to chip in [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone else with the magazine feel free to add quotes, or things you find interesting. I've just started off with a few paraphrases and one quote.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Post #9 of 63 (1668 views)
Shortcut
Ugh, hate getting Empire so late here [In reply to] Can't Post

Won't be in stores until next Thursday, and by then I'll have read all the new info and looked at all the pictures Frown

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 12:14pm

Post #10 of 63 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Stay away from this thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

Save the surprises for when you read the magazine! It'll be worth it. I'm just lucky because I have a subscription.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 12:16pm

Post #11 of 63 (1663 views)
Shortcut
I don't care. [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as it is a good movie.

If he is stricter with himself when it coms to action sequences (as good as they sometimes are) - good.

The plot left to tell should definately be doable in 2:30 (mind that I do not claim this will be the order of things happening... of course it could all play out in a totally different way. It is just to highlight that the BASIC structure could of course fit in 2.5 hours. Just as a disclaimer before people try to pick apart my shallow estimation).

Prologue: 5 minutes

Smaug attack: 15 minutes

Refugees / Dwarves rejoining: 15 minutes

Dol Guldur Galadriel: 10 minutes

Men moving to Dale: 10 minutes

Dol Guldur final fight: 15 minutes

Exploring Erebor (crown, rubble removal etc.): 10 minutes

Thranduil reaching Dale / Negotiations / Arkenstone / Gandalf arrives : 25 minutes

Battle of the Five Armies: 30 minutes

Aftermath / Funeral: 10 minutes

Journey Home and Epilogue: 10 minutes

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 12:16pm

Post #12 of 63 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It's odd that the article says two-thirty first, and then in that later quote two-twenty.

I guess it's currently two and a half hours and he wants to make it 10 minutes shorter?

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Jul 31 2014, 12:17pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 12:57pm

Post #13 of 63 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Thriller [In reply to] Can't Post

Thriller sounds very good... thrillers depend on their characters and how they drive the story to the "thrilling" points and edges.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 12:58pm

Post #14 of 63 (1609 views)
Shortcut
The Key Phrase? [In reply to] Can't Post

..."PJ says is the right length for a 'thriller'..."

AGREED, WE are likely to be
DRAINED
EMOTIONALLY
Crying our
Eyes out...
Releee.VED.. that we lived long enough to
Finally HIT the
FINISH line...

Seems likely we will NEED
about TEN minutes of
Glorious Music &
Drawings of the Principle
Characterzzz... to be able tp PULL ourselves
TOGETHER & ....Stumble out the DOOR?

Bomby know he will need that?.. much TIME...to pull himself...off the Floor..
Soo to Azzz to..NOT Look like a TOTAL TRain.. WREAk..in any... Lobby Near YOU?

Sentimental
Ol' Bomby!

Crazy

adt100
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 1:21pm

Post #15 of 63 (1546 views)
Shortcut
I think most of us just want a good, well paced movie so run time is pretty irrelevant [In reply to] Can't Post

Though this is the kind of length that I thought had been muted in other threads and discussion on run time. I'm still of the belief it will be the shorted o all the ME films in theatrical form.

adt100
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 1:39pm

Post #16 of 63 (1526 views)
Shortcut
I've never really felt the score was rush. It's more the CGI that is last minute. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that i've ever really thought it's suffered as a result, just that it always seems to be the thing taking the longest, and this of all 6 films seems likely to be the most CGI intensive affair, even if the shortest. I remember watching The ROTK EE features and them showing WETA completing the ring melting into lava of Mount Doom scene literally on the day the final film was due to be signed/sealed/delivered.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 2:00pm

Post #17 of 63 (1483 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though this is the kind of length that I thought had been muted in other threads and discussion on run time. I'm still of the belief it will be the shorted o all the ME films in theatrical form.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 2:07pm

Post #18 of 63 (1481 views)
Shortcut
I don't mean the scoring itself [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not that i've ever really thought it's suffered as a result, just that it always seems to be the thing taking the longest, and this of all 6 films seems likely to be the most CGI intensive affair, even if the shortest. I remember watching The ROTK EE features and them showing WETA completing the ring melting into lava of Mount Doom scene literally on the day the final film was due to be signed/sealed/delivered.

Shore has consistently produced fantastic scores. It's just PJ and editorial seem to tinker with the music too much. Especially with AUJ, they had further recording sessions where music from the album was replaced, leading to final score in the film that had some bizarre changes from the album (with more time I think some of such hasty decisions wouldn't have been made).

jackster
The Shire

Jul 31 2014, 2:40pm

Post #19 of 63 (1455 views)
Shortcut
.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't like PJ saying he was off his game with the other two films, undermining his past work. Reminds me of George Lucas admitting the prequels weren't very good. He's just feeding all those people that believe that TH=SW prequels

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 2:48pm

Post #20 of 63 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he has always openly stated when he thought something could have been better, even in LotR times.

Dcole4
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 2:55pm

Post #21 of 63 (1436 views)
Shortcut
In time [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the public perception of the Hobbit will change. I think the CGI has been the main thing that has been detrimental to the films, especially to the online community and trolls. I feel like they'd be a lot more forgiving if the films used the same practical techniques of the first trilogy. The fact these films "look different" gives them ammo to compare these to SW Prequels.

I think the argument is a tad insane. While I really disagree with PJ's decision to use so much CGI, particularly to create over the top action sequences, I do feel these films have a lot of heart behind them. There's a great cast and the scripts have been generally top notch minus a couple flubs. The SW prequels were passionless, dry, and monotone. It felt like Lucas had no interest in making the films, his actors were giving terrible direction, the staging of the dialogue scenes was amateurish. With the hobbit, despite the opinion on the visual look of the films, there's an actual story with actual characters that progresses and develops.

jackster
The Shire

Jul 31 2014, 3:15pm

Post #22 of 63 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree 100%!

Dcole4
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 3:18pm

Post #23 of 63 (1416 views)
Shortcut
Seconded! [In reply to] Can't Post

Any news on the DOS EE???

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2014, 3:35pm

Post #24 of 63 (1496 views)
Shortcut
I consider these quotes troubling... [In reply to] Can't Post

Regarding the length, DOS's weakness for me was that it breezed too quickly through certain sections. This was undoubtedly a result of the criticisms of AUJ's slower pace (in truth, I don't think AUJ's pace was entirely the problem - IMO they included/cut the wrong things in the Theatrical Cut).

If a shorter run time means ever brisker pacing (and more character building scenes left for the Extended Cut), then I don't view this as a positive at all. But there's nothing to be done. We'll just have to wait and see if PJ strikes the right balance, regardless of length.

I also don't like PJ's comments regarding his directorial efforts in the last two films. Not because I don't think the films had faults (most films do), but because it feels like succumbing to critical backlash. He needn't be so down on himself. Bearing in mind that most film critics felt the weakest element of An Unexpected Journey was the Bag End sequence (which IMO is one of the strongest), I just don't think he should start down this road. As others have said, it feeds into the baseless talk of "The Hobbit=The Star Wars Prequels".

Don't be afraid to stand by your work, Peter. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 31 2014, 3:37pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 4:04pm

Post #25 of 63 (1375 views)
Shortcut
I wish it was longer [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, this is the movie that has the most meat to serve and it's a shame if it has to be the shortest of them all.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.