Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Great question

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 31, 1:35am

Views: 285
Shortcut
Great question [In reply to] Can't Post

and welcome!

My own view is that Sauron was lying and promising to give things he had no intention of delivering. He might have given back the Dwarf-Rings--possibly--in the hope of ensnaring their wearers, even though it never worked before. Maybe he thought he could get it right this time around, and then he could rule Moria through the Dwarf-Rings.

It's hard to say how much he controlled the Balrog. He outranked it, in a sense, and they had served the same master in the Elder Days that precede LOTR, so they were on the same evil side. But the Balrog, once awoken, stayed beneath Moria and never went off to serve Sauron in Dol Guldur or Moria--why was that? Did it want to stay and be the lord of its own realm and didn't recognize Sauron as its boss, or did Sauron tell it to stay put in Moria to keep that realm under evil control as his deputy?

Sauron doesn't control all evil things. Shelob is a good example of that, and she lived within his borders. So could he really order the Balrog out of Moria so the Dwarves could move back in if he regained the One Ring if he were to make good on his promise? Has the Balrog been independent so long it would put up some resistance? I believe Sauron could overcome it, but would it be worth the fight?

My questions lead me to answer your question in this way: he was lying and wouldn't give Moria back, and probably couldn't if he wanted to. Gandalf called him the "Base Master of Treachery," and I think Gandalf was right when he resorted to name-calling.

Subject User Time
Moria noward_uvm Send a private message to noward_uvm Jul 31, 1:00am
    Great question CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jul 31, 1:35am
    Most likely lying. Cari Send a private message to Cari Jul 31, 4:25am
    Yup, Lying Wilros Send a private message to Wilros Jul 31, 1:24pm
    Sauron is showing his ignorance PhantomS Send a private message to PhantomS Aug 1, 1:39am
    Thanks All and Second Question noward_uvm Send a private message to noward_uvm Aug 1, 2:16am
        Moria in the Fourth Age Bracegirdle Send a private message to Bracegirdle Aug 1, 3:54am
            We do know that Gimli Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 1, 4:45am
                Gimli got his mithril Bracegirdle Send a private message to Bracegirdle Aug 1, 5:09pm
            Durin VII Cari Send a private message to Cari Aug 1, 5:16am
                Yes - emre43 Send a private message to emre43 Aug 1, 8:31am
                Durin VII and Last Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Aug 1, 3:08pm
                    Durin VII at Last Bracegirdle Send a private message to Bracegirdle Aug 1, 6:31pm
                        I tend to go the other way squire Send a private message to squire Aug 1, 7:18pm
                            I think we trod the same “other way” Bracegirdle Send a private message to Bracegirdle Aug 1, 8:01pm
                                Musing is good squire Send a private message to squire Aug 1, 8:21pm
                                    And the Balrogette served a baguette, Bracegirdle Send a private message to Bracegirdle Aug 1, 9:46pm
                            Nice post squire Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Aug 2, 2:44pm
    I am going to give a slightly different take on this question.. rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Aug 2, 7:13pm
        Origin of balrogs IdrilLalaith Send a private message to IdrilLalaith Aug 2, 10:41pm
            I think your right Idril Bracegirdle Send a private message to Bracegirdle Aug 3, 12:58am
                From the Silmarillion, on Sauron's demise in Númenor IdrilLalaith Send a private message to IdrilLalaith Aug 3, 2:39am
                    Morgoth could no longer change form either... HeWhoArisesinMight Send a private message to HeWhoArisesinMight Aug 3, 5:37pm
                        I was thinking about Morgoth, too IdrilLalaith Send a private message to IdrilLalaith Aug 3, 5:49pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.