New bts pic of Thorin in BOTFA from Empire. Possible *SPOILERS*

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 11:51pm

Post #1 of 14 (2849 views)
Shortcut
New bts pic of Thorin in BOTFA from Empire. Possible *SPOILERS* Can't Post

Source

Why does he have Orcrist with him?? (Legolas had it and Thranduil is supposed to return it...at the end, and not to a fighting Thorin...)
(don't change this too Peter, please)

"The closer you to get to light, the greater your shadow becomes"

(This post was edited by Oleander Took on Jul 30 2014, 11:59pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 1:00am

Post #2 of 14 (2038 views)
Shortcut
ooooh - THANK YOU!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL. I am delighted!!!! Yes, I know some may view this with alarm, but, it doesn't surprise me after that "look" between Legolas and Thorin that in SOME fashion during the battle, Thorin ends up with Orcrist. That's not to say THE scene with Thranduil won't play out as scheduled. But it'll probably be one of those heartwarming epic battle scenes where Thorin's sword is broken and Legolas is hopping over orcs and sees Thorin weaponless and tosses him the sword and like that - because as far as I know everyone rallies behind Thorin at some point - it's EPIC and all.

And, this IS just a picture, with PJ tinkering up to the film release, who knows what is in, what is out? But for me, yeah! I love Orcrist and I love Thorin wielding Orcrist. And IMO it actually makes more sense to lay a warrior to rest with his own sword, in that Thorin doesn't have Deathless and right now would just have some nameless dwarf sword, and then at the end Legolas trots up and says, "You know what Dad? Let's give him back this elvish sword". Um, no, I think this may be one of PJ's changes for the better, without really disturbing canon *sigh*.FrownFrownFrown

But thank you for postingHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

"Looking back on Bag End, it's...it's like we're just so innocent. We were all so happy...in that place, about to start this journey" - Richard Armitage, The Hobbit Appendices.

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 1:10am

Post #3 of 14 (2000 views)
Shortcut
Just had to make a quick comment [In reply to] Can't Post

You finally picked an avatar! Woohoo! Nice choice. :-)

As to the topic at hand, hmmm, interesting. Thorin isn't in his golden armor, so it doesn't seem like this would be during the actual battle. But I can't imagine quite where it would fit - pondering.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."
http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 1:22am

Post #4 of 14 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Kim, it was VERY difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since I need about 2500 pixels at any given time to suitably frame the glory of Thorin's hair. And also because the choice of imagery is, well, it's THORIN.
Even BACK views of Thorin are glorious!Heart

But LOL, love the Empire pic. Coz it may not look the same under strong studio lights, but that's the chocolate leather gear - mmmmm.HeartHeartHeart

And PS. I am gonna purely guess after reading about real knights and soldiers dumping their armour, it's entirely possible IMO that perhaps at some point
the Heirs just dump it, as it is too restrictive as the fighting goes on? Maybe?

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 1:29am

Post #5 of 14 (1966 views)
Shortcut
Is it me or [In reply to] Can't Post

Does this look like the old iteration of Thorin's makeup? I can't tell from the angle.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

shadowdog
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 1:30am

Post #6 of 14 (1954 views)
Shortcut
How do we know [In reply to] Can't Post

when that picture was taken?

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 1:55am

Post #7 of 14 (1896 views)
Shortcut
don't think he's fully made up/costumed [In reply to] Can't Post

no gloves/dwarf hands, lighter makeup, and most of all these guys hanging around with clip boards. Looks like some kind of walk-through for an upcoming scene, where
PJ is looking for some specific move. Just hope it wasn't, for RA's sake, one of those days he had to do the same thing over and over.Unsure

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2014, 4:53am

Post #8 of 14 (1812 views)
Shortcut
No, it's not you.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw this pic. Looks like heavier eyebrows and larger nose. (Then again, who knows what havoc the dreaded Dragon-sickness has wrought on dear Thorin the Majestic?) Or it may just be the angle of the shot.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Kim
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 5:33am

Post #9 of 14 (1772 views)
Shortcut
There aren't enough pixels [In reply to] Can't Post

to ever capture all the glory of that hair.

Hey, I just noticed you made it to Tol Eressea as well - big week for you! Smile

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 7:57am

Post #10 of 14 (1725 views)
Shortcut
PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought so as well, at first.

But PJ seems to be in the physical shape he was towards the end of the shooting and the pick-ups, not the beginning when they were trying makeup.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 31 2014, 12:17pm

Post #11 of 14 (1630 views)
Shortcut
At last!! [In reply to] Can't Post

We get to see your Avatar, Avandel!!
Very good choice, indeed. I also love the caption, it's been worth the wait..Wink

I'm looking forward to seeing Thorin in battle, but also his nephews - even if I am going to cry my heart out...Shocked

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 1:44pm

Post #12 of 14 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

That's nice indeed…

In Reply To
We get to see your Avatar, Avandel!!
Very good choice, indeed. I also love the caption, it's been worth the wait..Wink

I'm looking forward to seeing Thorin in battle, but also his nephews - even if I am going to cry my heart out...Shocked

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 3:51pm

Post #13 of 14 (1549 views)
Shortcut
LOL Kim - the voice of truth [In reply to] Can't Post

Too true - even with the latest PS there are not enough pixels, even with some high powered astronomical telescope that studies distant stars, to capture the glory of Thorin. Or his hair.TongueSmileHeart

And think they've done enough to emphasize the grandfather-grandson connection, but think it will be easier (if not safer) to fight without all the admittedly glorious armour. (I can only imagine what the next round of WETA books will be likeHeartHeartHeartHeart)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 4:02pm

Post #14 of 14 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Elanor and Glorfindela! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was time for an avatar, all things considered. And the trailer. That line of Thorin haunts me.

And Elanor, don't think I've forgotten about the Heirs! I think about them a lot, seeing as they are favorites of mine. I'm already fretting over 1) Will there be LOTS and LOTS of the dwarves especially Fili who IMO really needs to come to the fore and 2) as usual!!! IMO Aidan Turner is wonderful on camera - there is always such an aliveness there.Heart

And Kili as we know looks positively either horrified because he's never seen Thorin THAT aggressive or because he didn't think Thorin would blow Bard off, basically, which has to be hard on the Heirs and Oin and Bofur because the know, obviously, that Bard took them in.Frown

But then all the dwarves look so grim in these other shots - pretty dwarvish. Going to battle, no matter what.HeartShockedShocked

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.