Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Poster collection

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 12 (750 views)
Shortcut
Poster collection Can't Post

Here's the result of my brain trying to OCD organise the posters that we've got so far.

http://animational.tumblr.com/...he-lord-of-the-rings

I'm not sure why I did this, but I think it's kind of interesting anyway. Crazy

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 8:08pm

Post #2 of 12 (337 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting this! Oh how much I hate that AUJ poster under Theatrical Posters #2......

"Such is the nature of evil, in time all foul things come forth."

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 8:13pm

Post #3 of 12 (321 views)
Shortcut
great and beautiful memories [In reply to] Can't Post

Thx a lot!

adt100
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 8:20pm

Post #4 of 12 (329 views)
Shortcut
As expected the teasers are always the best.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure how your distinguishing between 'teaser'. 'theatrical1', 'theatrical2' and 'special' posters though. All of the posters are 'teaser' poster until the final one we see on the theatrical poster when the film is released (which is usually the sane as the DVD cover). You might then have 'special' posters that are created after this, often big montages or scene specific ones.

For DOS for example we have 2 teaser poster thus far, of Smaug over Lake a town and Bilbo kneeling.

With regard AUJ 'theatrical2', I presume that's an overseas poster as it's not one I've ever seen?

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 8:37pm

Post #5 of 12 (298 views)
Shortcut
Nice Job [In reply to] Can't Post

Being able to see all these posters together give one a good sense of the continuity of the production design of these films.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 8:53pm

Post #6 of 12 (286 views)
Shortcut
Nice collection, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

It is really cool to see them all side by side. Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Kim
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 8:56pm

Post #7 of 12 (295 views)
Shortcut
AUJ theatrical2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure which side of the seas you are on, but that was the official movie poster in the US (on imdb.com) and the one we were given at the midnight IMAX show (and subsequently framed and now hanging on my wall Smile).

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

phij2
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 9:23pm

Post #8 of 12 (262 views)
Shortcut
oooh... [In reply to] Can't Post

so pretty Laugh

Rickster
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 11:05pm

Post #9 of 12 (220 views)
Shortcut
absolutely cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 2:01am

Post #10 of 12 (185 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite by far is The Unexpected Journey poster of Gandalf in the Shire.

You did such a good job compiling these that I was going to suggest a follow-up task of adding those 3-D Lenticular posters of the characters that were released during last year's Comic Con ;0).

And on another note... I wonder if we will get to see a continuation of the banner scroll for the final film....

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 7:09am

Post #11 of 12 (157 views)
Shortcut
Why... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on LOTR, there are so many more posters out there. I have assembled a rather big collection here:

http://www.henneth-annun.ru/...lin-kolets-posteryi/

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 7:42am

Post #12 of 12 (152 views)
Shortcut
Really confirms me in... [In reply to] Can't Post

... my opinion that the LotR posters have not been that much better than those for TH.

Imho there have always been 1-3 good ones for each movie and also some... well, not so great ones.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 31 2014, 7:43am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.