Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How certain are we that the final line will be...

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 13 (1280 views)
Shortcut
How certain are we that the final line will be... Can't Post

...."Thank Goodness" as said by Bilbo in the book. They stuck to the final line in the Lord of the Rings, "Well I'm back" so I really hope they stay true to the ending of the Hobbit book.

Not all those who wander are Lost

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 2:47pm

Post #2 of 13 (902 views)
Shortcut
I very much doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, I think Old Bilbo is going to close out this trilogy.

TheFlayedMan
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 2:48pm

Post #3 of 13 (838 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it could be quite likely.

However, it may be said by present day Bilbo (Ian Holm as he finishes his writing for the day) rather than "The Hobbit" Bilbo.

Edit: I can actually imagine him saying "Thank goodness", as the camera pans out of Bag-End, and ends with a lingering shot of The Shire as we see Gandalf's cart arriving in the distance.

I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.

(This post was edited by TheFlayedMan on Jul 30 2014, 2:50pm)

elostirion74
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 3:09pm

Post #4 of 13 (830 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question, I'm actually not so sure this line or ending will be included [In reply to] Can't Post

What I'm hoping for is that they stay true to the spirit of the end of the Hobbit, which generally is fairly quiet and works as a commentary on the change in Bilbo's "reputation" in the Shire and Bilbo's changed perspective on his life, stressing a general sense of being content

I'm not really sure if this line will be included or if they dispense with Gandalf and Balin's visit altogether. The main reason is because their visit is much about putting Bilbo's adventures in a greater perspective, seeing that he is a just one person in a very big puzzle. These films have included this greater perspective all along the way, so Gandalf and Balin's visit is strictly speaking not really neccessary. Therefore I suspect they might end it with something else, more related to the change in Bilbo's life in the Shire

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 4:22pm

Post #5 of 13 (772 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they don't but I think that's what's going to happen too.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 6:20pm

Post #6 of 13 (716 views)
Shortcut
Why can't the final scene be both? (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf and Balin visit - voiceover by "Old Bilbo" while Bilbo and Balin are talking - perhaps now in Rivendell - quietly talking about the news of the Moria disaster he's just received from the returning Fellowship members and mourning his three friends who fell there - then back to the "Thank Goodness" bit? To me, that would be the ideal, as I do think non-book readers should get a reminder that it was Balin in the Moria tomb (in case they didn't connect that), and learn that Ori (who was in fact the skeleton with the book documenting the disaster) and Oin also didn't make it.

Aranaes
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 7:42pm

Post #7 of 13 (648 views)
Shortcut
Eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

So you want to jump from events at the end of the hobbit to a voiceover at a time after the events of LOTR depicting events that happen during LOTR which have not occured yet when watching in chronological order? Unless Im not understanding, this, IMO would be absurd to say the least.

'And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)!'

adt100
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 8:13pm

Post #8 of 13 (629 views)
Shortcut
I actually think there's a very good chance of this [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems almost certain that the film will end with old Bilbo in Bag send, finishing his book. However, given PJ concluded LOTR with the closing line from the book and given the symmetry he is clearly trying to give the Hobbit, it seems quite likely that if possible he'll try to use the last line here too. Maybe on slightly different context, but I certainly wouldn't bet against it!

Rickster
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 11:09pm

Post #9 of 13 (604 views)
Shortcut
It will be a brdge between Hobbit and the lord of Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

But i sure hope we also see Sauron moving to his new land

CaptainObvious
Rivendell

Jul 31 2014, 2:04am

Post #10 of 13 (568 views)
Shortcut
Ha. [In reply to] Can't Post

The last shot will be the Necromancer driving a Uhaul into Mordor.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2014, 4:46am

Post #11 of 13 (540 views)
Shortcut
LOL // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

utku
Rivendell

Jul 31 2014, 6:01am

Post #12 of 13 (535 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

For a second, Bilbo will feel like he lost something, just like he did in the beginning of FotR. He will look around in worry and then he'll see his precious. "Thank Goodness" he will mutter, before putting the ring to his pocket while the camera will follow the ring closely, then as the last shot we will see the eye of Sauron.

I think this is a too much of a cliffhanger so I don't like it myself, but it may work.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 5:34pm

Post #13 of 13 (492 views)
Shortcut
HAHAHAHA!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in tears from your post- I was laughing so hard! Sly

Thanks for making my day!

Someone should photoshop Mt. Doom and Barad-dur with a Uhaul parked out front Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.