Halo
View Results (31 votes)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2014, 1:07pm

Post #26 of 48 (5745 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always wanted to pronounce it that way too, but I never had those mental images before. Laugh Now I see a poor polyester sock in a hospital gown saying, "We're gonna do it for Johnny, man! We're gonna do it for Johnny! " Tongue

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 27 2014, 5:17pm

Post #27 of 48 (5732 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the Ranger's Apprentice books - my older son got hooked on it and I tried it and liked it.

I am also a BIG fan of the Harry Potter series (books and movies) and the Percy Jackson series (books more than films, though watched those too as one of my sons loves 'em).

Of those in the poll, I have only read the Hunger Games. Thus far, I'm happy with the films also.

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Jul 27 2014, 5:30pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 27 2014, 6:19pm

Post #28 of 48 (5739 views)
Shortcut
Let's get together and make [In reply to] Can't Post

a fan version of the film. You know, 'The Outsiders: Socks at War', or something like that.

Oh, it will be brilliant. Cherry Valance will be played by a beautiful Cashmere sock.
We can look in the children's clothing section for a Johnny sock.

People will be waiting for the first trailer - the buzz will be amazing!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 4:52am

Post #29 of 48 (5719 views)
Shortcut
And thus was born Starabia Productions! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 7:13pm

Post #30 of 48 (5698 views)
Shortcut
Also "The Dark is Rising" series. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really love the Wrinkle in Time books. Couldn't get into Le Guin somehow, though I read several.

Another series I loved as a kid, that's really younger than young adult, is "The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet" and its sequels.

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 8:01pm

Post #31 of 48 (5705 views)
Shortcut
Does book on tape (/disc) count? [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife teaches reading, so she stays abreast of popular YA literature. She listens to books on tape in order to multitask with household chores. I caught most of The Hunger Games. I didn't think it was as well written as Harry Potter.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 3:24am

Post #32 of 48 (5700 views)
Shortcut
Oh I totally agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

Harry Potter is very well written for a YA book and Hunger Games not as much. But it was still good.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 4:56am

Post #33 of 48 (5697 views)
Shortcut
It's funny [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm usually really picky with writing style and I didn't object to Suzanne Collins. I may have been so entranced with the story that I didn't notice it as much as I usually do. Or maybe reading so much business literature in college and crap writing now, my taste is deadened. What a sad thought...

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 12:54pm

Post #34 of 48 (5679 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it was the book on tape thing that threw me off [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of my friends really defend her writing style when I mention that I dislike her books. Maybe she has a certain charm that isn't my cup of tea, or maybe her charm didn't come across when listening to the book-on-tape. To be fair, the voice actor for the Harry Potter books-on-tape was phenomenal.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 1:15pm

Post #35 of 48 (5678 views)
Shortcut
I liked it myself because the writing style was used for a reaosn. [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn't choppy or packing a punch with short sentences because the author was lazy she was doing it to reflect the style of the novel and the nature of Katniss's thought because its told from her perspective.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 4:13pm

Post #36 of 48 (5674 views)
Shortcut
I read the first chapter, but couldn't go further.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The style grated on my nerves tremendously. I just wanted to go in and re-edit the entire thing. Such writing would never have passed my Creative Writing Class.

However, as you say, it manages to capture Katniss' youthful perspective well. I just would have preferred a style written like she had looked back, years later, and reflected on the days of her youth.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 5:45pm

Post #37 of 48 (5673 views)
Shortcut
None of the above... [In reply to] Can't Post

no real interest in them.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 4:05am

Post #38 of 48 (5669 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

IIRC, Suzanne Collins's other book series, Gregor the Overlander, is less choppy. I found the story less engaging, but you could argue that it's written in a better/smoother style.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 1:05pm

Post #39 of 48 (5691 views)
Shortcut
I suppose so... [In reply to] Can't Post

To each their own. I will freely admit that she has an interesting story idea, but I thoroughly dislike her literary execution, and I'll never use her Hunger Games books as a guide to better writing skills.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 1 2014, 4:33am

Post #40 of 48 (5656 views)
Shortcut
Definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't use her as an example of a good writer, either. A good story-teller, yes. But that's different from being a good writer.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2014, 11:06am

Post #41 of 48 (5654 views)
Shortcut
The last YA book i read was [In reply to] Can't Post

a Nancy Drew mystery, and that was back in the 80s.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 2 2014, 5:25am

Post #42 of 48 (5631 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to love Nancy Drew. I finally stopped reading them around 2000 or 2001--when I started getting into LotR (not that one necessitated the other).

I still hold fond memories of the original 56 yellow hardcovers.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 1:27pm

Post #43 of 48 (5622 views)
Shortcut
Another Outsiders fan here [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a book-firster. Even got a bit teary-eyed, and I hated crying over books in my teens.

It is indeed fascinating to see all those young hunks (that’s what we called them back then) pre-stars gathered together in one movie.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 1:33pm

Post #44 of 48 (6569 views)
Shortcut
My favorite Madeline L'Engle book [In reply to] Can't Post

is the third Wrinkle in Time book, A Swiftly Tilting Planet. I love the time-travel/telepathic merging aspect and the focus on Charles Wallace, and Mrs. O'Keefe turns out to have a key role to play. Smile

dubulous
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 7:00pm

Post #45 of 48 (5629 views)
Shortcut
Not really my cup of tea [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read the Hunger Games and Divergent (all three books of each series) and they were okay but I can't say I really loved them. The first Hunger Games book was pretty entertaining for the most part, but both series got pretty annoying and boring by book 2, and they were ultimately just too similar.

I feel about the same about the movies too. I liked the first HG movie well enough, but even though the second one was received very well, I personally found it boring. Didn't care much for the Divergent movie either. I might have liked it better if it had come out first but after two HG movies it just didn't have anything new to offer anymore.

(This post was edited by dubulous on Aug 2 2014, 7:02pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 3 2014, 4:58am

Post #46 of 48 (5616 views)
Shortcut
My sister adored this book [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2014, 11:34am

Post #47 of 48 (5601 views)
Shortcut
Clearly [In reply to] Can't Post

she has great taste. Wink

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 3 2014, 3:12pm

Post #48 of 48 (5633 views)
Shortcut
Thank You! [In reply to] Can't Post

She read that and really appreciated it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.