Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Green Gown?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 19 2008, 8:03pm

Post #1 of 12 (5370 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Green Gown? Can't Post

It's time for our semi-regular costume discussion! If you haven't had a chance, you should also pop down to OhioHobbit's excellent Movie Tech discussion. There are some fantastic things to be learned there.

This is the first gown we see Eowyn wear. She wears it from her first run up the stairs of Edoras until her cousin Theodred passes. I think by now many of you know of my affinity for this costume, so it was inevitable that I would get to it sooner or later Smile

This is remniscent of old Medieval gowns. It's meant to look like two dresses, an underdress of brocade and an overdress of green velvet. But movie magic and the need to keep the layers aligned means that it's all one gown. The yoke, undersleeves, and underskirt are made of a metallic brocade, which we think is actually being used with the underside of the fabric showing. It has been washed and dyed which makes the different fibers in the fabric shrink at different rates, giving the fabric a crinkled texture. The sleeves and skirt of the velvet dress are lined in the same material. The rest of the dress is a cotton velvet. In different lighting this dress goes from a dark olive to an almost emerald green. The neckline is covered with gold bullion trims, which were heavily dyed to age them so that they would blend into the dress better and not look brand new. Her gold belt is also worn with her funeral gown and in silver with her white gown. The cotton velvet in this gown was actually crushed and distressed to display the decay in Rohan and it's people. It's as though Eowyn has been too busy caring for her king to care for her own clothes.

This dress was on display at FIDM in LA, which puts on a yearly display of movie costumes. I wish that I had been lucky enough to see it on display. Their booklet described it as follows: "Bottle green fitted gown (cote hardie) of textured velvet with embroidered ribbons on collar and shoulder, lines with olive/silver jacquard, and a gold necklace. This dress features funnel sleeves and a hip girdle of metal rosettes. Medieval dresses were created to puddle at the feet, so they were cut longer than the woman's actual height. The designer indicated that this was her favorite dress of all those she created for the film."

As always, I direct you to AlleyCatScratch and the Costumer's Guide, both of which have amassed a wonderful amount of detail on each aspect of this costume.

So, any thoughts?

"Very funny, guys. Now get me out of this post!!"

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2008, 9:38pm

Post #2 of 12 (3424 views)
Shortcut
Hey! Slippers! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess there wasn't much screen time in the films to see those! They look really nice and add a distinct flavor to the costume. As always, I like seeing the detail in the costumes, because it shows how real everything can be, and just how beautiful Middle-Earth is. Smile

"Death is just another pathway . . . one that we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 19 2008, 10:16pm

Post #3 of 12 (3415 views)
Shortcut
I always like it when they show off their shoes [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, who sits around and contemplates what sort of shoes Tolkien envisioned on his characters? It's a detail no one notices and some costumers wouldn't even bother to make. When I see those, I really understand how easy it was for the actors to get into character in those costumes. Who wouldn't?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 19 2008, 10:30pm

Post #4 of 12 (3403 views)
Shortcut
Yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

"With that he sprang forth nimbly, and then Frodo noticed as if for the first time, though he had long known it, that the Elf had no boots, but wore only light shoes, as he always did, and his feet made little imprint in the snow."

In the movie they put him in boots. I suppose they wanted to appeal to a certain demographic. Like my wife.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 20 2008, 12:08am

Post #5 of 12 (3431 views)
Shortcut
I can see why that was the designer's favorite... [In reply to] Can't Post

What a beautiful creation!

This statement from your post caught my eye:

The cotton velvet in this gown was actually crushed and distressed to display the decay in Rohan and it's people. It's as though Eowyn has been too busy caring for her king to care for her own clothes.

I never thought about the green dress being a symbol of decay or distress and it doesn't come across that way to me, but that may be because I just like the style and color of it so much. That said, I was glad that Eowyn wasn't always "perfect" looking -- aside from always having her hair washed, she doesn't look like she spent all her time primping in front of a mirror, and her clothes while very attractive on her, don't give the impression that she's more concerned about her looks than what's happening in her kingdom. A lot of things work together to create that affect, and I hadn't considered before that the costume choices contributed to that. Interesting!

Weaver

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2008, 12:15am

Post #6 of 12 (3389 views)
Shortcut
It's one of my favorites, too [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't see anything "decaying" about it; it looks lovely to me.

I like the booties, too. Cool

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Elven
Valinor

Feb 20 2008, 10:17am

Post #7 of 12 (3377 views)
Shortcut
Cool shoes!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! Eowyns footwear is really cool! No wonder she can climb those stairs as a racing pace - 'pretty shoes' for a horse kingdom just wouldn't have done - they remind me of a very all purpose shoe - she could ride in them, they look warm and waterproof, comfortable, and they match her outfit Wink ... Im so glad they ent to this trouble, as One Ringer said - it shows how beautiful ME is!

The gown colour is so rich, even in the distress and decay, it shows Eowyns inner strength. It is the colour of Rohan - she wears it, she breathes it, she is trying to keep Rohan alive .... green is a colour of prosperity and a colour of the heart and emotions ... I was going to say she wears it all on her sleeve, but that sounds like a bad pun Wink

I like the idea that Eowyns gowns have a dropped waist, that the skirts radiate from her at this point ... and she wears a belt ... a beautiful design at that!

This is a fantastic dress - I love it!

Thankyou Arwen's daughter for another beautiful costume to admire! Heart

Cheers
Elven

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 20 2008, 5:11pm

Post #8 of 12 (3409 views)
Shortcut
One more detail shot [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know where it disappeared to, but I meant to include this shot of the underskirt and lining fabric.Crazy The overall dress has a flower theme going, with flowers in one of the trims at her neckline and leaves in this fabric and in the other trim. Again, we see this flower of Rohan motif Ngila talked about with the Coronation gown.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2008, 5:58pm

Post #9 of 12 (3401 views)
Shortcut
Of all the dresses in LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

This one is my favourite. It's stunning! There's so much texture, elegance and comfort to it! I could tell she wore low shoes, but this pic of the slippers is fantastic!

I'm enjoying these close looks so much, m'dear :D THANK YOU!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 20 2008, 6:10pm

Post #10 of 12 (3379 views)
Shortcut
The color of Rohan [In reply to] Can't Post

That had never really occured to me, but you're right! Green is the color of Rohan. That's why I've always loved this image:

This dress looks right at home with those banners. I wonder how much of the set design and set dressings had been finalized while they were desinging the costumes.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 22 2008, 2:45pm

Post #11 of 12 (3352 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

This one, and Arwen's red gown (the one you have in your avatar!) and then the dark blue one.

I love velvet. I love it so much, I even love velour Wink.

The gown you made is soooo beautiful - I don't understand though, did you make the pattern yourself? I took a sewing class once and I made myself a jumper dress. It was so much fun to be able to select unique buttons and trim.... and the fabric, of course, was velvet!

I still wear the jumper too, in the winter, and I get compliments on it. It was so hard though, I found. It was the only clothing I ever made! So I am definitely in awe of you making that gown. It's hard to work with heavy fabric too, the weight of it.... do you have a large table to work on? The class I took was at a sewing store, which helped a lot, because they had this absolutely huge table, that we worked on to lay out the fabrics.

Arwen's daughter ..... I really look forward to these posts. It is a little geek thrill to click open the post and wait for whichever beautiful photo is going to pop open. What a treat!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 22 2008, 9:58pm

Post #12 of 12 (3352 views)
Shortcut
For my own gown... [In reply to] Can't Post

The gown you made is soooo beautiful - I don't understand though, did you make the pattern yourself?
I used an existing pattern for the gown, but made a lot of changes to it. Learning to make my own patterns is something that I've only recently done.

do you have a large table to work on? The class I took was at a sewing store, which helped a lot, because they had this absolutely huge table, that we worked on to lay out the fabrics.
I have a medium sized table now, but at the time I didn't. I had to lay out most of my fabric on the floor or on the dining room table. And that's how I learned that my cats love velvet as much as I do Crazy

Arwen's daughter ..... I really look forward to these posts. It is a little geek thrill to click open the post and wait for whichever beautiful photo is going to pop open. What a treat!
Thanks. I really enjoy putting these posts together. And I always have a really hard time deciding which costume to choose next!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.